L.A.'s New Weekly, Outdoor, Semi-Permananent(?), Organized Food Festival - Smorgasburg [Thoughts + Pics]

I’ve had New Haven clam pizza at Frank Pepe’s. URBN is not as good, but it’s darn close. I wish it had more clams. And bacon. But the crust is very light at URBN, which I like.

2 Likes

Oh wow looks legit! One request/suggestion to folks for future pizza pics. Get an “undercarriage” shot if you can. You can tell a lot about a pizza crust by how the bottom looks.

4 Likes

I like to call it the “upskirt” shot

3 Likes

Thanks @matthewkang. Good to know how it compares. :slight_smile: And good to know it’s pretty darn close.

Like you, I don’t like pizza that’s over-charred. I don’t like eating burnt crust, but that’s just my personal preference. :confounded:

John Candy dropping coins in “Splash.”

1 Like

Hehe. I used to call it that, too. But I dated a woman a while back who was really creeped out by it, so I stopped.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you both on this. I love a properly charred crust. It’s a big part of the appeal of the New Haven and NY-Neapolitan styles imo.

1 Like

yup, from John’s of Bleeker St to New Haven they tend to char it up back East.

1 Like

Wow, was just reading up on these URBN guys. They have a coal oven at their San Diego location. Are they using coal in the truck oven, too?

they’re using wood fire in the truck. guessing it’s easier to pull that off from a mobile perspective. but not entirely sure

2 Likes

I agree…but I’m surprised the pizza shown above from URBN doesn’t look nearly charred as most New Haven style pizzas are.

perhaps they’re working out the kinks.

1 Like

Hi @Novelli,

Actually the “bottom” of the pie (underside) had some charring on it. And taste-wise, I thought it was really delicious (it wasn’t “undercooked” or anything like that). Crispy, crunch, wonderful.

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:63, topic:3628”]
I like to call it the “upskirt” shot
[/quote]Of course you do.

2 Likes

I noticed that, too. Reading about them online, it seems like this is a deliberate choice. I get the sense they’re trying to appeal to the West Coast preference for lighter crust. Grimaldi’s does that, too. You have to order it “New York style” to get a properly charred crust.

No denying it looks delish! If you Google pics of New Haven pizza, though, you’ll see the edges of the crust are usually more charred. It’s part of the style.

2 Likes

And probably more carcinogenic, but I fucking love it.

Thanks for the report @Chowseeker1999 looks great. Did you get enough clam on your pizza, it looks a little sparse.
Did urbn have any other pies on the menu besides the pesto and clam pizza?

Hi @PorkyBelly,

I felt it was enough, only because there was also crisped Bacon on there. :slight_smile: The whole thing felt balanced that way.

Yah, there was also:

• Margherita
  • Mashed Potato & Bacon(!) :open_mouth:

The owner said that as bizarre as it sounds, it was a real flavor offering in New Haven, and it worked really well when he first started eating them back in Connecticut.

3 Likes

It’s the specialty of a place called BAR. Man that brings back memories… I used to live right around the corner!’

PS: I wonder if that’s the inspiration for these guys more than the apizza places like Sally’s, Pepe’s, and Modern.

1 Like

Pizza Day this Sunday:

Come celebrate the start of National Pizza Month with us and LA Pizza Society this Sunday at Smorgasburg. In addition to our 60+ regular weekly food and shopping vendors, you’ll be able to enjoy some of the best new pizza that LA has to offer. Our brand new weekly pizza vendor Urbn Pizza will be there, serving up their New Haven style pizza, alongside Two Doughs Pizza Co., who do thick crust grandma style and thin crust neapolitan.

We’re also incredibly excited to welcome Chef Evan Funke (Felix) and Noel Brohner (Slow Rise Pizza Co.), for a one time only pop up featuring Funke’s famous porchetta "a libretto,” aka sandwiched between two pieces of pizza bianca.

Pizzanista! will also be on site with gluten free and vegan options, and there will also be pizza themed specials from a number of our regular vendors

5 Likes

HI @JRSD,

Nice! This sounds like it could be crazy good. :slight_smile:

First stop porchetta!

1 Like