La Casa de Toño - Mexico DF

This past trip didn’t involve much in the “exciting” food department. The “tios in law” are getting up there and have their favorite places, and when tio asked if I like pozole, I said “sure.” And so, we ended up at what can only be described as “La Casa de Toño” with video screens everywhere advertising their own goods as well as other things, a bright bright crowded place which reminded me that I might be somewhere in Asia, except I was in Mexico.

The kitsch is mostly that a bunch of barely pubescent males run up and down the length of the restaurant with food on trays, and don’t seem to slip or crash or spill. Yes, run.

Food is pretty good, pozole was fine enough, and I can see why this place is packed at lunch. There is plenty to eat other than pozole, portions are generous, and it is quite clean and quite cheap (for a visitor from the USA). It also turns out that there are quite a number of branches, and a couple are open 24 hours.

I really can’t compare it with La Polar, which is birria central (because I thought this was going to be a special pozole place, as La Polar is pretty much a birria only place). If I’m out in the Zona Rosa at night and need some post-drinking food that isn’t a hot dog rolled in bacon, or something else that might have be all crampy by dawn, I wouldn’t hesitate to go to the surcusal of La Casa de Toño in the Zona Rosa, one of the 24 hour locations.