LA Chinese food is just as good as Vancouver's

+1, quality of Cantonese food has been on a noticeably steady decline last couple of years. i.e Tasty garden is pretty crap post mgmt changeover.

1 Like

Depends on the Tasty Garden branch. Irvine seems to be holding its own. Alhambra isn’t.

1 Like

So I guess SGV regulars no longer have reason to go to Yank Sing or that shithole Koi Palace when they’re in SF?

@kevin? :joy: (His latest article from today, and it’s even about Chinese food!)

j/k - I think I have an idea who it is…

No, you have to go to Twitter to find the referenced comments.

I actually prefer the dim sum at Dragon Beaux on Geary in SF to what you get in the SGV.

this place right here? That also serves hotpot?

o_O

https://www.yelp.com/biz/dragon-beaux-san-francisco

Yes. Haven’t tried the hotpot.

i found his mug

5 Likes

I’m going to Vancouver next month can anyone recommend any good chinese restaurants?

1 Like

Kirin seafood in Richmond district was good tonight for upscale Cantonese seafood. It is pretty expensive though and there are lots (I mean valley Blvd lots) of places to choose from in that area. Urban sprawl is just booming!

1 Like

Will second Kirin for their excellent dim sum too.

1 Like

Thanks David for your great take on this. Decided to give it the ol’ reblogaroo: Food Expert Declares LA's Chinese Restaurants Are on Par With Vancouver's - Eater LA

5 Likes

High praise. What accounts for that?

Combination of the Koi Palace lineage and quality plus the inventiveness of the dim sum selections.

2 Likes

Well maybe not, according to this NYT article. Sorry if its behind a paywall for you. It seems like writer might be combining the best tasting with the best tasting within the easily accessible area. I’ve never been to Vancouver but it’s certainly on my list.

1 Like

I think the article is a few years too late. From the early 90s until maybe 5 years ago, fans of Chinese food would make the pilgrimage up to Richmond B.C. to partake in the better Chinese food there. My comment from the 90s was that the smallest food court counter in Richmond was as good as or better than the very best Chinese food in Los Angeles. These days hardly anybody from LA goes up to Richmond for Chinese food compared to the old days. Yes, they have better dim sum and other types of Cantonese food up there. But now that Cantonese food is just a small part of the Chinese food spectrum in North America, as far as Chinese food goes you can’t put Vancouver on a pedestal over Los Angeles.

4 Likes

It’s also the New York Times, which would never print anything admitting Los Angeles was better than anything. It might praise Montebello, though :grinning:

The one time the NYT came close to this, was the video Bittman did (in Irvine). Comments were filled with folks from NY and SF complaining that it couldn’t be possible for L.A. to have better Chinese food than their cities :roll_eyes:

My ears are burning …

No really, my ears are burning – help!

chandavkl is spot on. Nah, it’s not me. I’m not into trashing others, though I will trash the trashers :grinning:

3 Likes