LA Trip Suggestions

Just go to Broken Spanish. Rossoblu or The Exchange Restaurant are also solid alternatives in DTLA.

About 1.5 hours, depending on when you get in line. That’s for a typical non-holiday weekday, by the way. So for Thanksgiving week, who knows. So enjoy the parent-daughter bonding time.

Why not hit up Bulgarini in Altadena (just north of Pasadena) for your pasta fix. And then hang around for some gelato.

1 Like

1.5 hours is what they were saying when I was there on a Tuesday a few weeks ago. I didn’t think the collection justified a such a wait.

I would wait 3 hours for Infinity Mirrors alone.

Without a free reservation, Infinity Mirrors was not just a long wait but something like $50.

What’s dressy in LA?

If you think Gjelina is available in SF, then Gjusta is available in SF as well. It’s just great California food in a deli format… awesome for people who live here, but not really sure why someone would go to it while just visiting from SF.

Yeah, they take walk-ins, but you better be there pretty much right when they open. They are stupidly popular. If you show up at 5:45, you can get in most likely. Show up at 6, and you might face an hour-long wait. Maybe slightly less if on a weekday (excluding Friday). Alternatively, show up at like 9:30 and you can probably get in.

$25/ticket

The line to get in to The Broad is one thing, but the mirrors exhibit (major attraction) inside has a waiting line too. At 2PM, midweek this past summer, our entry to see it would have been at 7PM. I think there was a way to get Broad tickets in advance and maybe mirrors too. Worth looking into anyway.

You can get Broad tickets in advance at the beginning of the previous month. I tried to get tickets for October 31 on September 1, right when they started taking requests, and thanks to Infinity Mirrors there were something like 75,000 people ahead of me, so tickets sold out before they got to me.

The next day I tried again and was able to get a ticket that did not include Infinity Mirrors and got it no problem.

Infinity Mirrors are sold out. Standby only

if you like Texas style BBQ, try Ray’s BBQ in Huntington Park., open from 11am-2pm or until sold out, not that far from DTLA.

www.iwantbrisket.com

1 Like

anywhere from 10 to 90 minutes. Check their twitter account for updates.

I wore a t-shirt and jeans to Broken Spanish last week. I don’t consider that place fancy at all. I’ve worn a t-shirt and jeans to Providence and Spago. I might feel a tad-bit impish wearing a t-shirt and jeans to Melisse, but who cares. I think it’s great that you don’t have to dress in a stuffy costume to have dinner in LA.

That was my point, haha. I wonder what someone could mean by saying Broken Spanish is “dressy”? That people wear hoodies over their t-shirts when eating there? I found it rather funny to think about.

The only dress code I’ve ever come across has been at 71ABOVE, where they ban open-toed footwear, and even that came across as bizarrely formal in this city to me.

Their website says that collared shirts are “recommended.” It’s settled – I’m going in a t-shirt, and I’ll give them clothing recommendations when i arrive.

Would those be $500 designer jeans, paired with $1000 sneakers, and $300 t-shirt? :slight_smile:
I am only asking because some construe this as ‘dressy’ in LA.
Jokes aside, you will be fine in jeans and t-shirt at Broken Spanish.

You shouldn’t have to dress up when going out… i however enjoy it thoroughly

1 Like

Lawry’s is even more Puritanical.

thumbnail_IMG_4963[1]

thumbnail_IMG_4967[1]

Langers perfection as always. Broken Spanish was fantastic - lamb neck tamale, chile relleno, lentils with blue corn tortillas, frijoles and great mescal cocktail with caramelized pineapple and habanero. I wore a tuxedo to fend off any potential dress-code violations. Grabbed some beignets from Louie Bottega on the walk back to the hotel.

7 Likes

Have you had Howlin Rays?