Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

Besides the pastrami, their tuna melt is really good, the wife and I split a pastrami sandwich and a tuna melt.

2 Likes

Also not technically a reuben ('cause pastrami), but an insanely good sandwich.

2 Likes

Gotcha. As Iā€™m sure you know by now, Frenchā€™s is deeply inferior to a good brown mustard when used with pastrami and never let them schmear in the back. Your mustard schmear is your business. :smiley:
Iā€™ll also give a shout to the Beaver Hot Russian Mustard and their Sweet and hot on the Langers pastrami. Many will disagree, but I think the pastrami can handle the strong mustard.

Thanks for digging deep into the menu. I donā€™t think Iā€™d have ever tried the menu beyond the sandwiches, but those shanks look tough to pass up.

2 Likes

This is the same exact thing I do with an order of fries.

2 Likes

@LAgirl has it right!

My grandmother and mom always used to add hard-boiled eggs into the grinder when making their chopped liver. And schmaltz (semi-liquid gold) as the binder. God I miss that!!

Great post! That hash is so calling me!!!

2 Likes

:thumbsup:

Not to get too off the Langerā€™s topic, but----My grandmother (and great grandmother who was still around until I was in high school) kept a jar of schmaltz on her kitchen counter and it was used liberally for all sorts of things. They used the old school metal meat grinder that screws onto the counter top (or a hand cleaver/chopper and a wooden bowl) to make their chopped liver. My folks are now in the process of down sizing their life and last time they came out here they brought my grandmotherā€™s old school meat grinder for me.

If my memory serves me correctly, when I had Langerā€™s chopped liver on my last visit, the taste and fatty texture seemed to point to ā€œschmaltz binderā€ (and @Chowseeker1999 chopped liver photo looks like that is the case). Too bad they donā€™t mix hard boiled eggs into the chopped liver, but having the chopped liver/egg salad combo looks like a close second. Plusā€”that good double baked rye.

3 Likes

Doesnā€™t everybody put hard-boiled eggs and schmalz in their chopped liver? Any recipe that uses something else is a modern perversion, like lean pastrami.

2 Likes

true. but there are no hard boiled eggs in Langerā€™s chopped liver. Just chicken liver and onions.

ā€¦and thankfully their pastrami isnā€™t leanā€¦ā€¦

Any one who leads with broccoliā€¦well, you know, right? But otherwise, wonderful.

1 Like

Iā€™m puzzled by the leadoff of garnish :dizzy_face::confused::wink:

Great report. Definitely want to try that egg salad liver combo. I like both items, never noticed the combo there before.

1 Like

Hi @catholiver @Jase,

Hey! We had to have some type of healthy with the rest of the meal! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My mom had this old iron kitchen aid mixer that had a grinder attachment (weā€™re talking the 60s). And my grandmother did the same thing with the schmaltz LOL!!

I started putting my schmaltz in the freezer in 1 cup batches in ziplocs, every time I make chicken soup, I wonder how long they will keep? Iā€™ve only used one of them.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what the cole slaw is for.

1 Like

BROCCOLI!!! BROCCOLI??? This is the kinda ā€˜stuffā€™ that cause NYCers to think of us as hippie-dippie-organic-weirdos :slight_smile: I havenā€™t checked their menu this morning but Iā€™m guessing a pickle is about as green as Katzā€™s gets! LOL.

2 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wUypbX7SRqs

3 Likes

When I mentioned to my mother that Canterā€™s chopped liver was far inferior to hers two things happened

1. I put her in a good mood, which is an accomplishment you wouldnā€™t understand unless you know my mother, but trust me, not easy

2. She told me that evidently, some of moreā€¦ cost conscious purveyors use a combination of chicken and beef livers, which she thought would probably count for the distinct Eau-du-NineLives of compromised quality.

I donā€™t know how correct she is, but you donā€™t argue with old Jewish ladies two hours before their seder.

4 Likes

great idea! maybe a year?

When I make chicken soup, i always make a mini serving of chopped liver w/ the liver from the soup chickenā€”cookā€™s snack.

2 Likes

Weā€™re siblings?

Itā€™s a garnish I tell ya! I see that on my deli plate and Iā€™m thinking itā€™s oversized parsley. Move it to the side and get to the good stuff.

Choppin Broccoli!!