Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

Best description ever!

Iā€™m embarrassed to admit that my first time trying Langers was a few weeks ago. I got the triple decker with turkey, tongue and beef, but switched out bacon for the beef. (I lived in Paris over 20 years ago and how I yearned for a true, triple decker club sandwich for that year!) The tongue, turkey, bacon combo was great!

sideview

top view - oddly, they only cut half the sandwich into fourths

I had half the sandwich the next day and I have to say it wasnā€™t nearly as good leftover as fresh. Raeā€™s club in Santa Monica is much better as leftovers. Not sure why.

My friend and split the fries
tasty fries - I think I used the leftovers to make a hash one morning

My friend got the pastrami sandwich with nippy cheese. Never heard of nippy cheese before the day. I thought it must come in a can. The waiter explained that it just american cheese that melted well.

I want to go back to try their #28 - Pastrami, Corned Beef, Tongue, Swiss Cheese and Turkey, Lettuce, Tomato and Russian Style Dressing!

And free validated parking in their lot!

8 Likes

Iā€™m curious what that pastrami sandwich costs. Katzā€™s which is at least twice or three times as 'tall" $21.45. ???

My triple decker was around 21$ with no sides, only a pickle. I think, I think the pastrami with cheese was between 14-16$.

Hereā€™s a photo - not mine - of the Katz pastrami

2 Likes

Youā€™d have to pay me to eat that bread. Therein lies the difference.

5 Likes

Bread? What bread??? LOL

Thanks for the report @Xochitl. Glad you liked your very first visit to Langers. :slight_smile:

BTW, for next time, definitely start with the classic Hot Pastrami on Rye. Add some of the brown mustard at the table. Thatā€™s it. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s the most elemental, classic way of enjoying it and then you can decide later if you want to mess with that perfection adding in other stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Appropriate response for Katz. :wink:

Katzā€™s bread is lousy. Iā€™ve given up on them and will only go to Russ & Daughters when nearby, which is a hell of a nice fallback.

1 Like

No, thatā€™s my response. But Iā€™m not a real bread person. Itā€™s just a carrier.

@Helper_Monkey, does Russ & D have sit-down. I thought I remembered that it was take out only. But itā€™s been some years.

Their original place next to Katzā€™s is takeout counter only. Thatā€™s what benches and curbs are for.

That being said, they opened a sit down restaurant a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Ah, good to know. Whereā€™s the new place. Iā€™m too old to sit on curbs :slight_smile:

Their cafe is close. Itā€™s about 3 blocks south.

1 Like

Katzā€™s pastrami is admittedly excellent too. But I think Langers offers a more complete enjoyable experience. A good balance of meat and bread that can actually fit into your mouth. Katz is all meat, bread is clearly an afterthought.

1 Like

The Jew-Bu connectionā€¦

Our parents mustā€™ve met at one of those Jewish dinners at a Chinese restaurant on Christmas.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still miffed at that becoming mainstream knowledge. Real talk, during the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s, you could absolutely COUNT on having your pick of whatever the top movies were out with no waiting, no lineups, and no need to arrive super early to get decent seats. And no waiting for your eggrolls, either.

Now the goyim caught on and since no one goes to church anymore, 101 Noodle sells out of the hand torn dan dan by 7pm and the lineup at Din Tai Fung is out the door and down the block.

New tradition: Comedy show and izakaya, maybe? Iā€™ll have to think on this.

5 Likes

Of all the East Asian cultures, I would argue that the Japanese are probably the most observant of the western holidays.

So perhaps a comedy show and bulgogi, perhaps?

Sadly, I hate all things anise - rye bread, black licorice, ouzoā€¦