Late-night dining?

Not in my experience.

Once again, you stand corrected.

Because there are Big Macs with tomatoes (South Africa), Big Macs made from chicken patties (India), and kosher Big Macs (Israel).

Yes, religious reasons will sadly have an effect, e.g. kosher, halal etc.

It’s sad that a late night dining in San Diego thread devolved into a McDonald’s discussion. I guess that says all that needs to be said…

A big mac is very similar, with a slight name change- here’s a report from experts:

Vincent: And you know what they call a… a… a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don’t call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn’t know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac’s a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
Jules: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn’t go into Burger King.

I don’t think that is a SD specific problem - I go to concerts in LA from time to time like last Monday when the concert ended at 11:45pm and wasn’t in the mood for Thai or any type of burger/fast food and had problems to come up with a good place for late night eats (and cocktails) at 12:15am in LA and ended up at The Pikey (like most of the time in the middle of the night - I really miss Red Medicine)

Discussing McDonald’s in the context of late-night dining in SD is neither an indictment nor an indication (qualitative, quantitative, or both) of the city’s late-night dining scene. McDonald’s is an option for post-10 p.m. dining in SD, among many others.

Discussing it just means McDonald’s is popular, which is probably true of McDonald’s in many cities across America, regardless of the time of day (or night).

It’s not a problem at all.

In most major metropolitan areas, SD and LA being no exception.

There are many fine dining options in LA past midnight. Just because you don’t know where they are, doesn’t mean they aren’t extant, or otherwise limited in some sort of self-imposed artificial manner.

When I posted a similar question on CH some time ago the general opinion was (from many posters also posting here, including you) that there are not too many good options for late night dining in LA. So what changed in the last year ?

Nothing.

You simply misconstrued the replies.

And nobody said there were “not too many good options for late night dining in LA.” There are. You, however, asked specifically “for a place with good cocktails and where food is not just an afterthought,” which is a little bit more difficult. And entirely different from categorically saying SD or LA lacks good late-night dining options.

That said, you still got plenty of viable options. Whether you liked them or not, is a different issue entirely.

OP here. Thanks for the timely recommendations – yes, this was for 3/8. I’m somewhat embarrassed to say that even though you gave me several good recommendations, I ended up doing something different entirely, and not-so-hot (but better than McD’s – domestic, foreign, FOF or otherwise). I found myself more in the mood for standard 'Merican food, and went to Lazy Dog in Mission Valley. Had a just-ok potroast and mashed potatoes plate and called it a night.

I do appreciate the responses, and will take note of the recommendations, as I occasionally need a late-night place when in SD. As an aside, my original plan was to hit the Tuesday night mole at Cantina Mayahuel after finishing work, but I found out that morning I would probably be working too late to make it there in time, which indeed was the case. Which reminds me that there actually is another late-night Thai place just up the road from BLAH on Adams – Tam’s. Great homestyle Thai, although my request for “mild” seems to end up as “hot”, at least by my standards.

My latest late-night go to has been the adobada tacos at Super Sergios on Convoy. They are open 24 hours!

Another serviceable late-night Mexican place, closer to me (Bay Park area), is Santana’s on Morena. It’s open until 2 am. I know, I know, but the carnitas tostada is really pretty good, especially when doused with their tasty salsa brava. Grilled mixed onions and grilled yellow chilies are offered in the condiments area, along with the usual things (lime, radishes, and carrots with jalapenos & serranos), and it’s only $4.

The only edible dish from Santana (at least for me) is their California Burrito - everything else was lousy even for a taco stand at midnight

yeah, Santana’s is…not good.

Most meats seem boiled and reheated.

LOL. Yeah, OK, I knew I’d pick up some heat on this one. Well, all I can say is that when it’s 12:30 am and I’m muy starvado and I want something that’s not gourmet (who cares) but tasty right now, a carnitas tostada from Santana’s on Morena, topped with gallons of salsa brava, hits the spot as a late-night snack. Along with those grilled yellow chilies, grilled onions, etc…yum.

I know you can take the heat, as you well should when JV’s is in the same hood, is infinitely better, and serves until 2 AM. Santanas . . . I’ve been there twice . . . The first time was an honest mistake, the second sheer stupidity on my part.

So true, so true.

But ok, go back to Santana’s sometime and try the carnitas tostada. That’s the only thing I ever get. I’m not a fan of Santana’s, just noting that it’s a serviceable option for the late night munchies. If I were working late on something, like the OP, and I knew about it, I’d consider going there.

P.S. – But: I didn’t know JV’s was open until 2 am. Is late night parking the same ordeal as during the day?

Tiny parking lot for sure, but i always seem to find a spot right away in there or just on the street. And I just checked JV’s hours and they are only open until 11 pm on weekdays and 2 am just on Fridays and Saturdays. Still never going in to Santanas again. Maybe the one on Morena is better. Most of them turned into the even worse MXN anyways.

Queenstown in Little Italy is a solid late night option on Fri/Sat nights when they stay open until midnight (and sometimes later).

Their newish lamb bowl is perfect for these winter nights in SD hovering around the low to mid 50s. Maybe even a bit colder, especially if you wear your Coolmax shorts.

Carnitas Snack Shack is open until midnight.