Late Night Snacks ideas to go with wine/scotch?

I don’t have any particular kind of oysters in mind: the briny, mineral quality of most oysters just works with the smoky, maritime, acidic qualities of the distilleries I named*. The lemony note in Ardbeg and the green olives in Caol Ila make them particularly good in my opinion. Eat an oyster out of the shell (no sauce), take a small sip, wait a bit, repeat till done.

*Bourbon cask Kilchoman would work too. The floral notes in Bowmore rule it out for me. The Lagavulin 16 is a bit too rich and the Lagavulin 12 CS and the Octomore are a bit too high octane. Port Charlotte and peated Bunnahabhain I’m not a fan of generally speaking. (If you’ve ever visited my blog you’ll know I have a bit of a whisky problem.)

A friend of mine just got back from a trip to Ireland and brought me back a bottle of whiskey that he kindly dropped off tonite. It’s a bottle of Jameson Caskmates-Stout Edition (aged in Irish stout barrels). Delicious. I’m drinking it neat and on it’s own now, but actually had a small dark chocolate brownie with my first glass and it was a nice match.

champagne and potato chips is great too.

ever see the seven year itch?

with kids in the house?