Le Cirque at the Bellagio

Being an offshoot of the NYC landmark, which is now closed permanently, we had high hope for this 1 macaron outpost in Las Vegas. The restaurant also had an interest chef in Wilfried Bergerhausen. Before joining Le Cirque as a 28 yeas young EC, Bergerhausen worked at Joel Robuchon for a number years, as well as L’Oasis in Mandelieu La Napoule, France before jumping ship to Michael Mina.

We opted for the 5 course degustation menu which gave us multiple options to choose from for each course.

Whimsically decorated. There was a circus like tent top design covering the entire ceiling.

5 course degustation please!

Assorted Bread Basket: Chocolate Bread, Bacon Bread, Cheddar Bread, Pretzel Roll, and White Roll
A fine basket of warm bread. Bacon bread was the highlight as anyone would expect.

Amuse Bouche on a bed of dry ice: Smoked Salmon with Osetra Caviar
It’s never disappoint to have some delicately smoked salmon with caviar adding pops & complexity to the dish. Fine bites.

Ruinart, Blanc de Blancs, Reims, MV

Course #1: “Le Cirque” Lobster & Avocado Salad, Black Truffle Vinaigrette
Solid and earthy with the creamy black truffle vinaigrette. However, I do prefer a touch more acidity with lobsters.

Cheers!

Royal Tokaji, Tokaji 5 Puttonyos, Hungary, 2008

Course #2: Sauteed Foie Gras, Coconut, Kaffir Lime Sauce
Texture foie with good sweetness and acidity from the coconut and lime. Fresh and fried herbs gave it freshness and texture contrast to the creamy foie.

Domaine Gille Nuits St. Georges, Les Brulees, Burgundy, 2012

Course #3a: Seared Diver Scallop, Osetra Caviar, Creamy Lobster “Bisque”
Scallop was cooked delicately rather than getting the typical hard sear treatment. It paired well with the frothy, creamy, and briny lobster bisque/sauce. Caviar was added, again, as an decadent additional flavoring component.

Course #3b: Potato Crusted Mediterranean Sea-Bass, Braised Leeks, Pinot Noir Reduction
The semi-flaky bass, being a touch overcooked, contrasted well with the semi-crispy potato crust. The pinot noir reduction was intensely buttery which slightly overpowered the mild tasting bass. Finally, lightly braised leek added a mildy sweet freshness that was much needed to lighten the dish.

Château Peyrabon, Haut Medoc, 2000

Course 4a: Prime Beef Tenderloin, Sauteed Foie Gras, Potato Puree, Shallot Compote, Asparagus, Sauce Au Poivre
An excellent rossini style beef. Each bite of the meltingly tender filet, when paired with the fatty/creamy foie and seasoned with the flavorful cognac/peppery cream sauce, was perfection. Before the dish tread too heavily, you may refresh your palate by diving into the perfectly cooked asparagus. Or better yet, go all in and continue your path down the dark side by inhaling the JR style buttery potato puree.

Course 4b: Rabbit Symphony: Braised Leg, Ravioli, Roasted Loin, Crispy Spatzle, Fava Beans, Riesling Cream Sauce
This was the only disappointment of the night. Somebody was heavy handed with the salt tonight?

Palate Cleanser: watermelon granita, pickled cucumber, and lime foam
Sweet and sour combo did the job! You can never go wrong with anything lime.

Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Porto, 2009

I love a “show”.

Course 5a: Chocolate Ball: Praline Mousse, White Chocolate Ice Cream, Hazelnut Caramel Crunch, Chocolate Sauce
Whimsical dessert with the perfect blend of showmanship, texture, temperature contrast, and flavor. Each component worked well together.

Course 5b: Black and White Sesame Panna Cotta, Dragon Fruit, Lychee Sorbet, Chilled Lemon Verbena “Tea”

Course 5c: Classic Tahitian Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

Course 5d: Pistachio Genoise, Lemon Cream, Poppy Meringue, Basil, Buttermilk Sorbet

Course 5e: Raspberry Parfait, Champagne Gelee, Lychee Guimauves, Hibiscus Consommee

Course 5f: Chocolate Souffle, Lemon Crème Anglaise

Petit fours

Little boxes of candy for only the ladies to take home…

With the exception of the rabbit dish, this meal was almost flawless in terms of execution. Flavor profile was great and each dish was well thought out. However, you can probably tell by looking at the pictures, especially the desserts, that the chef was playing it way too safe. With the prices they charge for a 5 course meal, ranging from $135 to about $170 with the supplements we picked, is it too much to ask for a little more creativity and uncommon flavor combinations that will make me go WOW?

At the end of the day, if you’re looking for a solid high end multi-course French meal that won’t break the bank(aka Guy Savoy & JR) in Las Vegas, look no further than Le Cirque. You’ll get a very enjoyable, if uninspiring, night. With these caveats in mind, this restaurant is still a fine option.

Recommended

Le Cirque
Located in Bellagio Hotel
3600 S Las Vegas Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89109

6 Likes

Nice work! You are on quite the roll! Thanks for letting us vicariously live through your meals.

P.S. I totally forgot to mention that I got a giggle out of your notation that only the ladies got candy box gifts.

1 Like

The nice folks at Ruinart give wonderful guided tours of their pommery, in case you ever make it out to that part of the globe…

2 Likes

Caviar and foie gras twice? And tenderloin? While it all looks yummy, it seems to be appealing to those who want the la-dee-dah factor. But, hey, it’s the Bellagio, never known for subtlety, eh? I’d also love to know how one “sautes” foie. I sear for under a minute total. Can’t imagine sauteing. And I’m surprised they mis-named the macarons as petit fours.

But for what you paid, it really does look like a nice meal. Thanks for sharing.

What’s wrong with that since sauteeing just means to cook something with high heat and some fat?? :thinking:

Aside from my misspelled “petite”, there’s nothing wrong with classifying macarons as a petit fours either. I believe that it’s a common occurrence in France.

My apology. I assumed your description came from the menu.

I checked and you’re right that in France macarons are a type of petit fours.

To me, here’s petit fours:

Image result for petit fours

Re the foie, one sears in a hot, dry pan. No oil. Here’s a description of saute from The Spruce Eats:

" When you sauté, you want to keep the food moving. The word sauté means “jump” in French. Tossing or flipping the food in the pan ensures that it cooks evenly, but it also helps keep the pan hot."

Again I’m sorry for criticizing when I thought it was the restaurant.

No apologies needed since it’s just a discussion. :grinning:

As far as saute goes, I’m not sure if it’s necessary to keep the food moving before you can call it that from various definition that I looked into???