Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

There is an otherwise pleasant young fellow belting out Piano Man at the community piano.
This test of will grows tougher.

Current state of mind:

2 Likes

I feel despondent. And I must pee. And yet I persist. For that I feel shame.

The drama! LOVIN’ this play-by-play - I know, at your expense - but you’re killin’ it!

4 Likes

Worse comes to worse, you can while away the time listening to an interesting episode of the Sporkful podcast which talks about how people decide particular food is food worth waiting for, and how wait time impacts perception of the food. Includes a blow by blow account of standing in line for pizza at Di Fara’s in Brooklyn on a hot day, including much debate about whether to leave and actually get something to eat at lunch time. Is This Pizza Worth Waiting For? «

We’re rooting for you!

2 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

Yah at least this sounds better than the time my friend waited 4.5 hours for Pizzeria Bianco (before they expanded) in the hot Arizona death heat wave.

1 Like

But really @frommtron. If you’re not feeling it, it’s OK to get a Po’Boy from Little Jewel and just come back when Howlin’ Ray’s expands (they are going to double the size of the kitchen and tables, and add a separate Take Out window). All of this bodes well for much shorter lines / wait times.

1 Like

Remember drinking your own pee to survive is always an option. If you do make it a free colon cleanse is built into the price of lunch.

4 Likes

on tonight’s episode of “Intervention”…

4 Likes

You are already invested, tough it out if you can. At least you are not at the end of the line

2 Likes

I’m in front. Right in front. The guy in front of me appears to have turned into a fried drumstick. I’m going to try eating him. Will report back soon . . .

10 Likes

Gentleman was not amused, but too weak to fight me off.

Bigger problems: I’m at 8% fam. Nope. 7%. All.is.lost.

4 Likes

Left wallet in car.
Kidding. Got food. Peed. Laughing at those crazy people in line. Hahahahahahaha!!!

10 Likes

Alright!
Ordered:
1/4 dark, medium
Solo wing, country
Fries
Peach tea
Pickles

Yeah. I mean, its pretty great. Medium was nice for me. Pleasant tingling. Hot could be handled, but I’m not sure it would taste better. Crunchy, juicy, well seasoned down to bone. Pretty perfect.
The country wing was good, but it felt lacking next to the spiced 1/4.
Fries were well-executed fast food style. Or the kind you wish you got at a fast food stand because these were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Still, hindsight says I should have just gorged on a 1/2 bird and skipped the accoutrements.

Free cookie for the kiddo when I do pick-up from school later.

But is it worth it?
Well, sort of. Under certain circumstances, YES! But mostly I would say it requires better timing and planning. I’d gladly wait an hour with a good book or some friends. I wouldn’t do 2 hours again because it’s not worth carving a day up like that.

Thanks for the encouragement.

17 Likes

Glad u survived, you have more patience than me!

1 Like

Hi @frommtron,

Glad you enjoyed the fried chicken! On National Fried Chicken Day no less. :slight_smile:

Yah I agree with you: With better planning (rotate with your friends and you can grab a coffee/drink / look at some of the shops nearby), it’d be more manageable.

That, or when they do the expansion, which should cut down the wait times a lot.

Give their Simmered Collard Greens a try next time, really tasty.

4 Likes

I feel your pain! And I agree that it is worth the wait, but under certain circumstances.

BTW, try the sandwich next time. I thought it was considerably better than the “solo” chicken (which I still thought was very good).

1 Like

After following this, it was so stressful! I was so worried that you would bail out before ordering…

2 Likes

Update XX:

In honor of National Fried Chicken Day, but more importantly @frommtron’s epic journey to Howlin’ Ray’s, here are some pics from our last couple visits. :slight_smile:

@frommtron this is what you needed (I think we all need this!): :wink:

24th(?) visit:

The line was crazy this past weekend. We waited 2 hours in line and this was showing up at 10:00 a.m. :expressionless: LOL.

There were over 200 people in line at one point.

However, Howlin’ Ray’s recently showed off an expansion render. Chef Zone mentioned it might be ready in a couple of months. Encouraging! :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVtAzutgIB0/

It’s more than double the size of the kitchen, counter / tables space and they’ll have a To-Go Window. That should help things a lot.

Unsweetened Peach Ice Tea:

Collard Greens:

Fried Pickles:

Love these! :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

Perfect again. Crispy, crunchy, juicy, nicely seasoned. So good! :heart:

The Sandwich (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun), “Country” Style (Level 1, No Heat):

That wonderful balance of soft, airy Bun, crispy, crunchy Chicken Breast, creaminess from the Slaw and Comeback Sauce and some tart from the Pickles! :blush:

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Medium” Style (Level 3 - Feel The Burn):

Level 3 Medium is my limit: It’s so nuanced, with a touch of sweetness with the heat and salt and juicy. :blush:

Fried Chicken Wing, “Hot” Style (Level 4 - Burn, Baby, Burn):

My failed attempt to reach Level 4 @TheCookie and all. :sob: I forgot Level 4 includes the infamous Ghost Pepper! After taking the first bite, after a few seconds, I couldn’t feel my mouth! :open_mouth: Then I couldn’t stop sweating. I think things cooled down after 20 - 30 minutes, LOL. :cry: I’m such a wimp.

I can’t wait for Howlin’ Ray’s to expand the kitchen so more people can get the Fried Chicken with much less of a wait. Hopefully things will be easier by August / September. :slight_smile:

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

12 Likes

I seriously just took a bunch of menus that I’ve accumulated down there to be framed!

3 Likes

Will do. I really wanted to do the sandwich and the collards, but I was on my own so limited.

The cashier put me off the level 4 wing I was going to order. She basically said that level is just too hot to enjoy. Still, I think I’ll give a hot wing a try next time.

Epic rundown below, as usual.

1 Like

They are the absolute best. When all the galleries and museums send their art there you know you’re in the right spot. Love the guys there, too.

2 Likes