Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

4 Likes

If I did this often - monthly, weekly, daily - yeah - excessively obsessive fucking nothing-else-in-life nutzo like probably a lot of those folks in line. If I do this once in a while, or infrequently for something I really like and can’t get elsewhere? Shoot me.

Some cultures are so civil.

I for one like to mark my territory by spraying my personal liquids around, therefore it’s a good idea for you to wipe everything down. It’s the same reason I always carry a pack of wipes and napkins with me on any food outings.

3 Likes

It’s a classic collective action problem. Everyone would be better off if nobody saved seats, but the incentives to free ride are just too strong. Ideally, it would be the restaurant that coordinates customers’ behavior, like Huckleberry does, by enforcing a policy of not saving seats. In this case, however, it’s not clear to me Howlin’ Ray’s could control seating at the picnic tables outside even if they wanted to.

Speaking of which, does anyone know who “owns” those outside tables? Can I sit at any of the tables in the complex, or am I supposed to confine myself to the ones by the restaurant I’m visiting?

No one who’s been to Howlin’ Ray’s would say that. Let’s get him!!

Well, I’ve had hot chicken in Nashville.

And, yes, it is just fried chicken. Phhht.

1 Like

Hi @Bigmouth,

You can sit anywhere. I’ve seen people bring their Chego bowls or Amboy food to all the tables spread out at the plaza.

1 Like

Considering no one is policing the table from savsies, then yes you can sit at any of the tables. I’m not sure who “owns” them, but most are covered by the same oilcloth tablecloth that Pok Pok uses and they appeared at the same time Pok Pok did, so my guess is them? For outside picnic tables, unless they are in a gated off area, I always consider them as community tables for everyone.

1 Like

I believe Far East Plaza owns them. They’ve actually replaced the more traditional picnic tables outside of Howlin’ Ray’s with longer ones that should seat more. Just saw them yesterday at Chinatown After Dark.

3 Likes

I was there a few weeks ago, on a Sunday, as we needed ice cream and Scoops Highland Park was closed so we decided to try the chinatown location for the first time.

Mostly Chinatown for us is Dim Sum or me telling my husband “Just wait in the car while I get the herbs and then we can go.”
Sad to see the chinese herb shop gone. : (

But fun to see hip happy stuff right next to chinese housewares and tea shops.

1 Like

Hi @Bigmouth,

They get their pickles from County Fair Farms.

2 Likes

You. Are. My. Hero.

Update 5:

We had the craving for great Fried Chicken so it was time for a return…

It should be noted the wait is a bit crazier now, with Chef Zone deserving all of the great business the restaurant is getting nowadays. The line was moving faster than our previous 6 visits.

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

We were afraid that increased business and months later might have an effect on Howlin’ Ray’s, but looking at our piping hot pieces of Fried Chicken, the perfect crunchy crust, the tender, juicy, wonderfully seasoned interior of this high-quality Chicken and our fears were allayed.

Howlin’ Ray’s Fried Chicken is even better than ever! :blush:

The natural juices from the Fried Chicken, the right balance of salt, pepper and the brine, it’s just the right amount of salinity without it being the grossly oversalted stuff found in too many Fried Chicken joints these days.

Fried Chicken Wings, “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

The Wings were also cooked just right: The fact that their Chicken Breast, Leg & Thigh and their Wings are always coming out of the fryer at different times, to ensure a proper finish without being overcooked says a lot about the way Chef Zone runs his kitchen.

Each bite of the Fried Chicken Wing was flawless: That perfect crackling crunch of the exterior and juicy Chicken Wing meat inside, and like the Leg & Thigh today, was just right in terms of salt level, thankfully never too salty. :slight_smile: @CiaoBob there’s no “helmet crust” here. :slight_smile:

We couldn’t stop eating their Chicken! :slight_smile:

Market Side: Collard Greens (with Pork Belly):

Finally! I remember hearing from some friends who tried Howlin’ Ray’s Collard Greens before, but with their Market Side changing daily, we kept missing it. Not today!

Slow stewed, soft, supple Collard Greens, cooked for hours with Smoked Turkey Necks and Pork Belly(!) :open_mouth:, result in the most delicious Collard Greens I’ve ever had at any of these Southern / Fried Chicken joints, it’s not even close.

The Smoked Turkey Necks give the Collard Greens a bit of smokiness, but also this interesting poultry backnote. And then imagine succulent, super tender chunks of Pork Belly stewed with the Greens, to give it a lush mouthfeel, a bit of fattiness that elevates Howlin’ Ray’s “Collard Greens” into something far better. Chef Zone’s Collard Greens are the “Howlin’ Ray’s level of excellence” that all other Greens should be compared to. SO GOOD! :heart:

As others have reported, Howlin’ Ray’s was nice enough to hand out free Chilled Watermelon to everyone in line, which was a nice gesture. Chef Zone and staff continue to deliver legendary Fried Chicken that is seemingly only improving with time.

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

10 Likes

One interesting note that didn’t strike me until I overheard Chef Zone chatting with a customer at the counter:

Howlin’ Ray’s “Wings” listed on the menu are actually the entire Wing (all 3 sections). On the one hand cooking whole chickens at home, I’m used to the thought, but he noted many people are used to seeing larger quantity for their order of “Wings”: Going to restaurants and ordering a “Buffalo Wing Appetizer” of say, 6 Wings or 8 Wings or 12 Wings.

But those “Wings” are actually just one section (1/3) of a full Wing: Most restaurants serve you a Drumette or the other half (2 bone section) of a complete Wing, and they count each section as 1 quantity.

At Howlin’ Rays it’s the full 3 section Wing, so their order of “3 Wings” is actually more like a 6 piece Wing order at other restaurants, and their Dozen Wings item is actually more like 24 pieces of Wings at other places.

Kinda interesting when you think about it that way.

4 Likes

Agreed. And the wings aren’t tiny either.

1 Like

Indeed. They’re described as “jumbo” on the menu, and the description is apt!

The wings @ Escala are the entire wing as well— like HR they are much larger than the “wings” that are usually served at most places (they also point out that fact on their menu). I actually liked the wings much better this way—more chicken vs bones.

1 Like

Finally went. Fabulous sandwich. Problem was my 63 year old white husband policing all of the younger folks “cutting” into line with their friends who were ahead of us in line. No bueno.

I don’t see how that’s a problem. There’s no difference if one person orders for the whole group or if each person in the group orders individually.

exactly. agree. but could not explain this to him.