Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

the no bueno refers to the bad vibes created in him even bringing that up . . . .

Not defending that guy’s jackassery, but there is a difference. It takes longer for each person to make their own order and pay individually than it does for one person to put in one big order for everyone. Sometimes a LOT longer depending on how many questions each person asks and how long it takes for their payments to go through separately.

2 Likes

I just have a problem with people cutting in line. Regardless of whether the ordering process is more (or less) efficient.

2 Likes

I’m going to be first in line at Ray’s today.

Anyone here want to place an order with me send me a private message before 11 am

I know y’all are sick of the question, but how’s the line around 2p-4p on a weekday? There’s gotta be downtime somewhere, right?

is that considered cutting the line?

Eh… I dunno. I find it annoying, too. But what’s the difference, in principle, between someone holding a place in line while his friends park vs. that person placing an order for those same friends while they wait in the car? Assuming there’s no difference in the time it takes to process the order, I mean.

Like @bulavinaka’s sending his wife and kid to stake out a table while he waits in line, this strikes me as one of those minor annoyances that are just the cost of doing business.

1 Like

Isn’t using taskrabbit basically cutting in line?

2 Likes

No, because your taskrabbit leaves the line. And then you take his/her place. The taskrabbit is just a placeholder.

If you are cutting in line, you are adding to the line.

1 Like

I agree in your example there would be no practical difference, assuming there’s not a difference in processing time.

But, again, using your example if the person in line was going to order for the whole group, there would be no reason for the rest of the group to join the line – and hence no cutting. People usually cut in line b/c they want to place the order themselves which, as you aptly noted, gums up the whole process.

1 Like

Well not today anyway.

I am retarded and just assumed a place with massive lines would be open every day or just take 1 day off per week. Seems they close Monday and Tuesday hahaha

Right, but that’s a practical objection. I thought your point was cutting is still wrong in principle whether it gums up the ordering process or not.

It seems to me @PorkyBelly’s question about Task Rabbit gets to the heart of the matter. Cutting is wrong, in principle, because it’s unfair someone gets to skip the line without waiting like everyone else. As you correctly point out, however, there’s no practical difference in the Task Rabbit example because the length of the line doesn’t actually change.

It was just one of the ways that I’m preparing my frame of mind for the Trumpocalypse.

3 Likes

I went to Howlin’ Ray’s brick and mortar for the first time last Thursday, arriving 10 min before the posted closing time. The line was long, stretching past the gift stall and around the tables kinda blocking the entrance to Endorffeine. I was wondering if I would be served, there was no problem, they took orders for nearly a half hour after closing time.
They did run out of ‘Market Sides’ while I was waiting which was the only downside of my first visit cause my sandwich was excellent! Chef Zone did remember me and my son from the truck days, when he almost killed us both with a salsa cup containing some of the Howling’ Hot Sauce! He also apologized for how large the sandwich was. I wasn’t missing the sides cause it was pretty damn big and one of the 3 best fried chicken sandwiches that I’ve ever had AND worth a wait!

4 Likes

Haven’t I read this comment somewhere before? :wink:

1 Like

Chef Zone apologized for the sandwich being too large? Is there no justice?:wink:

1 Like

We went on Sunday, arrived much later than we expected, after getting sucked into the vortex that is Smorgasburg, at 4:30pm (half hour after official closing time). Line was probably 20 people ahead of me. They served everyone in line, and wrapped up with me by 5:30pm. (Strangely, no one lined up after me, even though there was no one telling people that the line was cut off. My wife said it was because I was repellent, though she claims that she actually said I was “a repellent”.)

Chicken was amazing as usual. Had a taste of the collard greens, which were excellent. Haven’t posted any pics of that visit yet but here’s a couple of shots I took from the LA Food Fest kickoff party they were at:

9 Likes

Thanks @sel and @theoffalo.

That is great news that Howlin’ Ray’s will continue to serve all customers in line well past their closing time. It reflects highly on Chef Zone and his staff that they stay late and try and make the customers happy.

Most restaurants usually have a “last call” before closing time and won’t take orders / serve after that point, let alone their actual closing time.

FYI: Howlin’ Ray’s announced on their Instagram that they will be testing out Dinner Hours soon!

UPDATE!
In case you missed it: For anyone who is unable to make it during our regular hours, we will be open till 8:00 PM August 4th & 18th and it’s gonna be a #HOTCHICKEN party!

Since our chicken/produce refrigeration space is very limited, there is a possibility we might sell out of chicken & sides before 8 (we will tweet if this happens) so come early if you can to guarantee your fix! Can’t wait to see y’all for our first dinner service. Thank you for ALL you’re support!

https://www.instagram.com/howlinrays/

2 Likes

3pm, Wednesday. I just got here and am #21

3 Likes