Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Even all the Jitlada stuff?

Hi @sel,

Wow that sounds crazy! :open_mouth: Yah as Aesthete was asking, did you ever try Jitlada Level 10? (I’m a wimp, I can only handle Level 3 there LOL. :slight_smile:

I’m pleased to report the chicken from Howlin’ Ray’s travels and reheats surprisingly well after 24-plus hours in the fridge. Not as good as fresh from the fryer, obviously, but still pretty crisp and delicious.

One caveat: the chicken didn’t taste as great cold. It really needs to be crisped up in the toaster oven. I think the reason for this – and why it reheats well – is because of the oil base for the spice rub.

Bottom line: I wouldn’t hesitate to do this again in the future.

7 Likes

Been to Jitlada a few times but not recently. Had some of the hotter dishes but not all of them.

Update 6:

Had a friend from out of town visiting who loves Fried Chicken. We had no choice but to stop by Howlin’ Ray’s. :slight_smile:

Chicken & Waffles, Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

The Fried Chicken is seriously flawless. Perfect crispy, crunchy batter, piping hot. Juicy, not too salty. My friend looked at us and mumbled (with his mouth full), “Oh my God! This is the best fried chicken I’ve ever had!” :smile:

The Waffle (made fresh to order) was just as good as my last try with them: Slightly crisp, hot, fluffy on the inside. Fantastic Waffle! :slight_smile:

Pickles:

Crisp, nice snap and crunch.

Market Side, Watermelon Salad:

So refreshing! On this piping hot day, the Mint and Watermelon hit the spot. :slight_smile:

Market Side, Green Beans & Bacon:

Wow! I thought the Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey Neck was good last time, but Chef Zone’s fresh-made Green Beans & Bacon daily side today was even better! :open_mouth: Tender Green Beans, deeply smoky Bacon, but the Anaheim Chilies, Red and White Onions and his seasoning blend really elevated this dish.

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Medium” Style (Level 3 Heat):

I think I’ve settled on Level 3 as the perfect amount of heat for me. :yum: There’s a gentle burn that builds up, but it dissipates quickly, so you can still feel your mouth within a few minutes afterwards, LOL, unlike Level 4. :slight_smile:

The Chicken Breast was still extremely juicy and just cooked through.

By the time we left, the line was over 100 people, but they have definitely gotten faster at moving people along.

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

4 Likes

Finally made it. More extensive review later but I had a Howlin level sandwich and bought the heat level was perfect. Super flavorful. Maybe the best spicy dish I have ever eaten. I did not feel a huge need for a drink while eating it. It made for what I always dreamt a spicy fried chicken sandwich could be. Just truly wonderful.

The chicken itself is so good that I realized upon eating it that I have never actually had fried chicken before… Everything else I’ve eaten called fried chicken was some kind of sick joke.

The waffles could be crisper but they are remarkably tasty. Possibly beat fried chicken and waffles on the market.

Fries are strangely good for crinkle cut. Green beans nice but not as good as I imagined from the race reviews of the sides, or even an initial smell. Still really nice though.

HR is worth the hour wait. Truly spectacular.

6 Likes

Hi @Aesthete,

Glad you made it out. Thanks for your thoughts.

You mean you tried Level 6 (Maximum) Howlin’ spice level?! :scream: You didn’t feel the burn? LOL. That’s impressive. Congrats on surviving.

Nah, I felt burn, but pleasant. I got an endorfin rush off of it. But I didn’t really feel I had to grab a drink while eating the sandwich. I wasn’t in serious pain or anything. It was an ideal spice level for me. I thought it added a significant flavor experience versus the other heat levels as well. My brothers cannot handle as much spice so we got one sandwich medium, one hot and we got mild on the chicken and waffles.

They really improves it a lot from their pop up days.

Comparing to Jitlada… I think Jitlada may be spicier but also nowhere near the complexity of flavor as a Howlin sandwich at HR. I am not a Jitlada fan though so probably a bad comparison.

1 Like

You sir, have taste buds of steal

I just eat spicy food often. I don’t know if it would be that big of a deal for most people that eat spicy food with regularity. But maybe I’m just special.

Maybe it’s Maybelline.

5 Likes
#lipstickpalin

Finally hit this up Sunday. Of note, we were at the initial Barrel & Ashes pop-up, and for what it’s worth lived in Nashville for years.

On to the show …

Got there and the line was in the central courtyard (past Chego). From a quick glance and ask, I realized this wait was going to be LONG. Had we not had friends coming to meet us, I would’ve bailed. Fortunately it all worked out.

Tip #1: If there is any sort of wait - and, even, if not - get some of these. They are damn delicious:

Chego Fries

It took us an HOUR to reach this point. Le sigh …

Got thirsty, so grabbed a Thai Tea from Pok Pok (soon to RIP)

From the moment we got in line, until the moment we ordered, it was exactly 2 hours. I can assure you - there is NOTHING worth waiting that long for. Nothing.

That being said, we really enjoyed the food.

They kindly cut the sandwich in half for us.

DAMN that is a big ass sandwich. I don’t think there is any way I could ever eat that entire box of food in one sitting. I just don’t have the stomach capacity.

But, it was fantastic. We ordered it Hot, and would probably go the level above next time. But so good. We’d tried Howlin’ at the pop up, and felt it more over seasoned than overly hot, if that makes sense. Too much Cayenne.

But this time was perfect. And that chicken is so moist! The fries were “good”, but nothing of note. We actually took the leftovers home - because I am a Fry Whore - and bizarrely enough, when I took them out of the fridge to pop in the toaster later that night, they were better cold. As in better than when they were fresh! What can I say - I’m a strange one.

We rounded out the meal by hitting up Scoops

(turns on Homer voice) Brown Bread … Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

So, the verdict? Not as good as the OG Prince’s, but all in all DAMN fine. I’d happily and heartily recommend it, and return.

But, next time I’d just straight up get the sandwich and the fries from Chego and be done with it (because, I will NOT go back and wait more than 15 - 25 mins). And, of course, a dessert from Scoops.

8 Likes

What time did you get in line?

Right at 12:45

2 hours for a fried chicken sando is absurd. I would have bailed as soon as I saw that sign.

ITA: the friends we were meeting REALLY wanted to try it, and it all ended up fine because we got to really catch up while we waited, my random darts off to get other food/bev notwithstanding.

It’s great, but like I said, nothing is worth waiting that long.

Hi @a213b,

Great report. Definitely agree nothing is worth waiting that long for. :slight_smile:

That being said, glad you finally tried it and liked it. Congrats on surviving Level 4 “Hot” (they use a tiny bit of Ghost Pepper).

Let us know if you survive Level 5 next time. :wink:

The last few times we’ve gone, we just decided to show up early (before opening) and the line was definitely shorter. Hopefully when they expand hours the customers will be more spread out / shorter lines.

Thanks!

Yeah, we tried “Howlin’” at the Pop Up. Like Aesthete, I didn’t find it overwhelming, in terms of heat. Just over seasoned.

I think the in-between, “Xtra Hot” will be our Goldilocksian (not a word) Ideal.

2 Likes

Hi @a213b,

Chef Zone mentioned to us his new Xtra Hot (Level 5) and Howlin’ (Level 6) at the store are new / tweaked from his pop-up days. The 3 chili peppers he mentioned to us sound scary. :slight_smile: But chili heads will probably love it. :wink:

2 Likes