Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Hi @TheCookie,

Yay! Glad you finally got to try it! :slight_smile:

Isn’t the flavor, juiciness just awesome? :slight_smile:

Hopefully next time you can try it fresh at the shop. That crust is unreal just out of the fryer.

1 Like

It really is…I stopped in the other day and got a few free wings while waiting for sandwiches and shooting the shit with Chef Zone.

Rumor has it there is a secret level beyond Howlin’ spice level. =)

You can for sure see why they keep the hours the way they do.

You know you can call in orders for 10+ people and pick them up either just before opening (9:30 am), or just after close (5 pm)?

1 Like

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Juicy! The crust was still hot and very crispy. But it slid off a bit. This can be a problem with batter or buttermilk fried chicken. We definitely want to go and eat it right there. It’s sooo good.

Sorry… I just noticed your reply. I’m having trouble and not receiving many reply notifications. So apologies to anyone I don’t respond to. Calling @discourse… Where are my blue dots please?

Cluck cluck!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Glad it was still hot and crispy. :slight_smile: When you do go to eat it at the restaurant, try one of the pieces on Level 1 (“Country” - No Spice), so you just enjoy the classic Fried Chicken crust. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried some country level my last visit as well. Other than the great crust, I must say, the meat itself was not only perfect in texture, and juicy…it was also just infused with rich flavor. I don’t know that I have ever experienced such a thing with fried chicken before, at least not on such a level. Truly remarkable.

2 Likes

Ooh thanks @Chowseeker1999! I actually thought of asking for a couple pieces of the “Country”. The word made me think it might be on the savory side, more golden, less red? I really like that and will definitely get some next time… and maybe try one level up from mild too, ouch :fire:. Thanks @Aesthete too.

I just happened upon your pictures of the Country Level. That looks right up my alley! Again, what would we do without you.

are they open tonight by any chance?

Hi @tailbacku,

No, sadly. Still on limited hours, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Hi @TheCookie,

Here are more pics of Howlin’s amazing Level 1 “Country” (No Spice) Fried Chicken (and other stuff), from our most recent visit. :slight_smile:

Update 11:

Unsweetened Peach Ice Tea:

The Sandwich (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun), “Mild” Style (Level 2 Brush of Heat):

Ridiculous. :smile: Still as amazing as it was before. Perfect crunch, light heat, balance of flavors. Best Fried Chicken Sandwich we’ve ever had. :slight_smile:

Collard Greens:

Their Collard Greens are getting better and better. In this batch, it was just the right amount of tart, salt and a deep crave-worthy flavor. There was a gentle heat from the Serrano Chilies (cooked whole), so the seeds didn’t burst out and make it too hot.

Fried Chicken Half (Breast & Wing, Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

Juicy, perfect crisp-crunch crust. SO GOOD! :heart:

Hot Shake Fries (Crinkle Cut, Hot Shake):

Piping hot, crisped, just out of the fryer. :slight_smile:

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

5 Likes

Just another shout out for Chowseeker . I don’t live in LA . I vicariously live through your photos and descriptions . I will hit this up upon return . Always enjoy your great food photos . Thanks

7 Likes

Hi @Emglow101,

Thanks! :slight_smile: I hope you do get to try Howlin’ Ray’s when you visit L.A. next time. Definitely worth a visit.

XHOT was insane. The spice layer was so thick it directly impacted my enjoyment of the dish.

I stopped at one. Hottest thing I’ve eaten in a long time.

6 Likes

Oh man, for some of us that IS the enjoyment of the dish! Imagine two levels above that! =D

I like it by itself, but it blends into their sandwiches amazingly as well, you should give one of those a whirl next time!

I’ve had the sandwich at hot, which I actually enjoyed.

Hi @Ns1,

Wow! You survived Level 5 - X-Hot! :open_mouth: Congrats. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’d ever try that. I would die. :frowning: LOL.

I’m perfectly happy with my Level 3 Medium (but most of the time just classic Level 1 “Country” (No Spice)). :slight_smile:

I ate 1 out of 4 wings and tapped out… I’ll eat some more tonight with white bread, we’ll see how it goes. I learned from last time and ate it with gloves, I shit y’all not.

For me, “Hot” is the appropriate level for a challenging meal, “Medium” is a comfortable super tasty meal.

1 Like

We were in Palm Springs a few weekends back. A friend was driving in later from LA. He brought me Howlin’ Rays. I subsequently pledged him my first born.

8 Likes

Trophy: Achieved.

We need a badge for that. Admin: Can you make it so?

4 Likes

Round 2 last night

Split some MILD wings with the wife. Flavor profile is completely different - it’s [to me] overwhelmingly sweet, with a hit of spice at the end. My wife said the flavor reminded her of luau bbq chips, which I thought was pretty accurate.

I followed that up with a single X-HOT wing. I learned from my earlier mistake - this time, I was armed with a fork/knife, 1/3rd loaf of bread, and 1/2 cup of pickles. Yes, I ate this fucking wing with a fork and knife - I would cut off meat, cube it up, and eat it with bread.

By the end of it, I ate 85% of the wing, 90% of the bread, and 100% of the pickles. I don’t think I’m going to finish my other 2 wings.

I don’t think I’m a fan of the wings a la carte - without the bread/slaw/sauce/etc, there’s just too much seasoning without anything to balance it out. I was actually bothered by the texture of the seasoning; it got to a point where I felt like I was eating clumps of it. Sandwich or bust.

2 Likes