Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Depends. The Task Rabbit guy we met in line said he was ordering enough for 10 folks waiting for him at the party in Brentwood. He was more worried about his tip and how not to get a parking ticket (Parking costs cut into his immediate profit). The Postmates and Instacart guy (He was there for his own lunch) around us were amazed now how was going to be able to eek it out.

–Dommy!

It may not drive the price up, but it does increase the cost - time has value.

1 Like

ive probably mentioned it before, so apologies but this sort of task rabbiting has been kiboshed at franklin bbq in austin. i dont know how they enforce it but i hear they do.
the franklin line is exponentially worse than howlin rays.

1 Like

Very true which is why I’ve only been to Howlin Rays once.

How’s the lunchtime line these days? I’m thinking of going today (Friday).

I got there around 2-3pm on a Friday a few weeks ago…I think I waiting like 1 hour 15 about

youch!

Thanks for the heads up.

Holiday weekend. Who knows? Line could be shorter (or MUCH longer).

1 Like

Okay FTC, fam. I need real talk.
I’m currently in line. I’m in front of Qin. What kind of wait am I looking at? Because I can do an hour. Maybe a bit more. But I’m not about that 2+ hour wait for anything. When my kid asks me what I did today, I can’t say I stood in a 2 hour line for lunch.

Side note: if you need something framed, you need Framing House Design on Broadway in Chinatown.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/N2aogYjhzE

High quality, custom framing.

you’re looking at about an hour starting at chego

2 Likes

Oh lord. Progress has been . . . leisurely.
This could be ugly.
In the likely event that I abort in a fit of hangry rage, any recs that would be line-free?

My back-up is GCM, which seems less than optimal.

little jewel for a shrimp po’boy

4 Likes

That’s actually pretty decent considering you got in around prime lunch hour.

Backups? Potentially offer someone near the front a few dollars to buy your lunch along with their order (not sure it’d work, but if you want to try it for the first time…)

Little Jewel a couple blocks away.

1 Like

New Dragon for the Wonton Noodle Soup, and only the Wonton Noodle Soup. But first Saigon Deli for the Sugarcane Juice.

X 2 for Little Jewel’s of New Orleans Po Boys, still the best thing on the menu.

I do like the Chubby Bowl at Chego.

Upstairs at New Fortune makes a good shrimp and scrambled egg, get it with some garlicky choy sum and rice. Should also come with some type of pork bone based broth.

Chimney Coffeehouse has some tasty Thai inspired sandwiches.

LAX-C’s steam table for the basil chicken.

3 Likes

Holding firm for now. The Secret History of Twin Peaks is keeping me company, but I’m currently preoccupied by the sunken cost fallacy.

3 Likes

i guess nobody likes baohaus?

I cannot believe I was in front of a LASA take out window for the last hour and I’m in this line for chicken.
Baohouse was okay for me. Nothing too exciting.

If you’re hitting your limit, it’s OK to leave. Don’t want to ruin your first impression by being stuck in line so long. :cry:

If you do make it in time, you should introduce yourself to Chef Zone; really nice people there.

I am currently thinking of the best food I have ever had in my life. Like ever. And I am contemplating if I would have ever waited 2+ hours for such a meal.

The answer, friends, is FUCK NO! Not ever. I didn’t wait this long for Franklin’s in Austin.

I am now at the sign that states the wait is 45 minutes to 1 hour.

I feel despondent. And I must pee. And yet I persist. For that I feel shame.

5 Likes

what you need to do is lower your expectations within the next 45 minutes.

4 Likes