Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

I feel your pain! And I agree that it is worth the wait, but under certain circumstances.

BTW, try the sandwich next time. I thought it was considerably better than the “solo” chicken (which I still thought was very good).

1 Like

After following this, it was so stressful! I was so worried that you would bail out before ordering…

2 Likes

Update XX:

In honor of National Fried Chicken Day, but more importantly @frommtron’s epic journey to Howlin’ Ray’s, here are some pics from our last couple visits. :slight_smile:

@frommtron this is what you needed (I think we all need this!): :wink:

24th(?) visit:

The line was crazy this past weekend. We waited 2 hours in line and this was showing up at 10:00 a.m. :expressionless: LOL.

There were over 200 people in line at one point.

However, Howlin’ Ray’s recently showed off an expansion render. Chef Zone mentioned it might be ready in a couple of months. Encouraging! :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVtAzutgIB0/

It’s more than double the size of the kitchen, counter / tables space and they’ll have a To-Go Window. That should help things a lot.

Unsweetened Peach Ice Tea:

Collard Greens:

Fried Pickles:

Love these! :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (Level 1 - No Heat):

Perfect again. Crispy, crunchy, juicy, nicely seasoned. So good! :heart:

The Sandwich (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun), “Country” Style (Level 1, No Heat):

That wonderful balance of soft, airy Bun, crispy, crunchy Chicken Breast, creaminess from the Slaw and Comeback Sauce and some tart from the Pickles! :blush:

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Medium” Style (Level 3 - Feel The Burn):

Level 3 Medium is my limit: It’s so nuanced, with a touch of sweetness with the heat and salt and juicy. :blush:

Fried Chicken Wing, “Hot” Style (Level 4 - Burn, Baby, Burn):

My failed attempt to reach Level 4 @TheCookie and all. :sob: I forgot Level 4 includes the infamous Ghost Pepper! After taking the first bite, after a few seconds, I couldn’t feel my mouth! :open_mouth: Then I couldn’t stop sweating. I think things cooled down after 20 - 30 minutes, LOL. :cry: I’m such a wimp.

I can’t wait for Howlin’ Ray’s to expand the kitchen so more people can get the Fried Chicken with much less of a wait. Hopefully things will be easier by August / September. :slight_smile:

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

12 Likes

I seriously just took a bunch of menus that I’ve accumulated down there to be framed!

3 Likes

Will do. I really wanted to do the sandwich and the collards, but I was on my own so limited.

The cashier put me off the level 4 wing I was going to order. She basically said that level is just too hot to enjoy. Still, I think I’ll give a hot wing a try next time.

Epic rundown below, as usual.

1 Like

They are the absolute best. When all the galleries and museums send their art there you know you’re in the right spot. Love the guys there, too.

2 Likes

Nice pics. What a successful business so far. I think I’m going to skip the la trip. And just go to Nashville. For chicken and music. I want some now.:smiling_imp:

1 Like

I went to the 4th of July Kaboom show at the Fairplex and waited 2 hours for hot dogs and curly fries, and that was after lots of people in front of me demanded refunds…

1 Like

For hot dogs? Oh. Hell. No.
You are a man who feels no pain.

2 Likes

Pack a bag of sandwiches and fruit. (Quick trick, make a bunch of sandwiches, then put them all in the bag that the rolls or bread came in. No need to wrap each separately.)

Enjoy the music, get a hotdog on the drive home.

I had earlier that morning done a 60 mile bike ride from Eagle Rock to Santa Monica and back (also crashed when the person in front of me hit uneven pavement and fell and took me with him) followed by a BBQ, so I took a longer nap than I had intended. I didn’t have time to either cook for the family beforehand or make something to bring and I thought “they have some food stalls so we can just buy some overpriced food. How bad could it be?”

3 Likes

You are a man who feels no pain.

2 Likes

60 mile bike ride + bike crash + two hour wait for a hot dog.

YOLO! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Peeked at the line today because through a minor miracle and the use of all karmic stores my work was framed. ALSO, damn it I was thinking about that chicken all evening. You got me hooked, Chef Ray.

Great googleymoogley! The line was a few feet from the street at just shy of noon. I’d reckon that a 2.5 hour ordeal.

Hit guerilla tacos instead. With the time or took me to find parking I’d say I broke even.

2 Likes

Get dat chicken sandwich next time. Medium.

Batters box to go. Mild.

I think you will thoroughly enjoy it. Hot was way too fuckin hot the last time I had it. Made my stomach churn the next day along with heartburn about 30 minutes after consumption. :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

Hi HR Lovers and HR Champion @Chowseeker1999 !

Question:
Does the flavor profile change with each level or does it just get hotter? Country Level is our go to and a little Mild Level for some heat. We’re thinking to go up one level to see if the flavor changes. If it’s just hotter we probably won’t bother. Advice?

Long time no talk to. Had a crazy summer. But I miss y’all.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Hope the remodel is moving along… Nice that you’re still here!

3 Likes

I can’t quit you @bulavinaka!

We’re still out of our house. It’s been crazy!

BTW… for some reason I’m only receiving some message notifications. I didn’t get the one you just posted. So I hope nobody thinks I’m dissing them.

Hugs!

5 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

The flavor actually changes with each level; it’s not just hotter. :blush:

If you’re going again (warning that Howlin’ Ray’s popularity has exploded even more now), definitely get something Country (Level 1) and then try something Level 3 Medium. You’ll see really tastes different than Level 2. Level 4 is too much for me :cry: but the flavors are nuanced and tastes different (and much hotter) than Level 3. :smile:

If you didn’t catch my last update in the Fried Chicken thread, the latest from Chef Zone is hopefully in a couple months (for the expansion and hopefully much shorter lines), if you’d rather hold off and wait before going back. :wink:

2 Likes

No kidding @Chowseeker1999!

Holy moly. The line was crazy long and not moving. I thought it was Saturday combined with USC football (lots of jerseys, lots of tourists) and the Boxing match. But I think you’re right. It’s just gotten more and more popular, period. Our favorite parking guy said “Turn around. You don’t want to spend your whole Saturday standing in a line.” We went to Birdie’s instead.

Thanks for tips on the flavor profiles and heat levels. We’ll go back during the week… or wait for expansion!

Wish us luck!

2 Likes