Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Only went once, but I recall that the milder levels seemed sweeter (but I only tried country and mild; did you notice the same thing?).

Glad to see you posting again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover -

My thoughts exactly - Mild Level has a sweetness. I was wondering if the other levels were different.

Thanks! Missed you guys!

1 Like

You’re a crack-up!

Wimp? How about brave for even attempting it. Don’t they use Ghost Peppers in some pepper sprays? :sweat_smile:

I am so getting a Sandwich and those Fried Pickles next time!

Another great report!

1 Like

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile: Yes, definitely get the Sandwich and Fried Pickles next time, so good! :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI they just tweeted the line is only 45 minutes right now.

2 Likes

aka the time it took me to place my phone order, pick up food, and drive home yesterday from Gus.

:joy:

2 Likes

what’s level 4 taste like? level 3 just tastes like a bbq potato chip and a flaming hot cheeto put together, and equally spicy. no GI issues at all (even the day after), so i think i could try a notch higher.

Hi @raizans,

Hm, I didn’t think Level 3 tasted like cheetos LOL, but Level 4 is more savory, not as sweet, a bit more aromatic, and with the addition of the Ghost Chili Pepper to Level 4 you’ll definitely feel the heat build up, slowly but surely, and then you can’t feel your mouth any more. :smile:

I hope you like Level 4! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If #4 is “HOT” on the menu, that’s my favorite. Flavorful without being overwhelmingly spicy (depending on your tolerance, obviously).

1 Like

Hi @Bigmouth,

Yah, sorry I should’ve added in the descriptor. :sweat_smile: Level 4 = “Hot.” My friend was dying from Level 5 “Xtra Hot.”

Was looking for advice on Howlins and stumbled upon this comment! How do the frame-ups look? Do you mind sharing pictures? I’ve been trying to figure out how to frame my menus!

Two hours and fifteen minutes today. Got in line at noon. Perhaps it was worth it? Really damn good chicken sandwich.

Also, is it just me or is the jump from medium to hot like super extreme? I barely considered medium to be spicy–entirely pleasant-- and hot just destroyed me.

1 Like

Hi @set0312,

Congrats on getting some Howlin’ Ray’s today. :slight_smile:

Yes, the jump from Level 3 > 4 is massive. It destroyed us (and our friends). :cry: :smile:

But it was more impressive watching a friend of a friend of ours who loves spicy food. She attempted Level 5 “Xtra Hot” and gave up after 1 bite. :sweat_smile:

Sorry for the late response! Here are some examples:

French Laundry

Ko

Alinea

Noma

The matting is not always that great on these. But at a flat $35 for each, I am more than perfectly content.

5 Likes

Good news everyone! Expansion is going faster than expected and should be done in 4-6 weeks!

6 Likes

Any word on where in Culver City?

1 Like

On track for 2018 but no specifics. It’s on their instragram page. I just can’t figure out how to link it.

I just drove through DTCC, and the old Lyfe space is showing signs of life, including “Leased!” on the front windows… The Ramen Roll space is still for lease.

I’ll keep an eye out for permit signs in the windows.

3 Likes

I think the Lyfe space is going to be a Chinese restaurant.

1 Like

If that’s Howlin’ Ray’s new location, the neighbors are going to be awful pissed for the lines blocking access to their busiinesses.

The owners of the Ramen Roll bldg must be getting tired of tenants withering and imploding. And yes, landlords can be a quirkish bunch who often seem to do things (or not) that appear to be counter to long term success. But let’s hope that IF Howlin’ Ray’s inquired about this spot, and IF the landlord did at least some cursory research on them, begging HR to be the new tenant was the only thing on his or her mind.