Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Always leave with a batters box or two to go. Throw them in the oven for 10 minutes and they are just as crispy as right out the fryer, amazing!

4 Likes

Thanks @A5KOBE. This is brilliant. :slight_smile: We usually leave with 1 extra order (either breast & wing or leg & thigh) and that, too reheats pretty well (the skin remains crispy after heating in the oven, but watch the temperature because it can burn (I think we settled on 300 degrees)).

1 Like

Huh? Please explain.

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Howlin’ Ray’s was offering a Free Fast Pass (skip the entire line) (one time use) when you buy a $50 Gift Card from them over Christmas break. :slight_smile: Best money we ever spent! LOL.

(100% of the $50 can be used for Howlin’ Ray’s food, and you get a free Fast Pass. So worth it.)

2 Likes

Ah-ha!!! Thank you.

If you pass holders were team players, you would take orders from FTCers and make a run for us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wait, WHAT??? How the f*ck did I misread the directions??? I thought it was a $50 pass just to skip the line and that none of it went to the food.

DAMNIT, DAMINIT, DAMNIT!!! I would’ve bought 2 of those (giving one to a “friend”) had I known. ARGH!!!

2 Likes

You’re not the only one. :woman_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

I DID IT!

Wednesday afternoon - arrived at 1:45, ate at 3. Enjoyed reading my book and crowd watching/listening - up to a point. I was really hoping the cold and the rain and the late lunch, mid-week nature of my visit would make it a lot shorter.

Sat at the counter and was given complimentary fries (over salted, under spiced) but nice flavor.
1/2 Bird.
The chicken was beautifully cooked, very juicy and tasty, and the spice level (3+) worked well for me. If I had to quibble it would be the batter is much too thick and, in some places, below the skin there was some undercooked batter.

Still, it is a lot better than the truck was when they first started in LA (at Sonny Blu, IIRC).

But seriously, to wait that amount of time is, for me, not happening again. Where are the copy cat’s? Or metastasized originals?

6 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

Woo hoo! :slight_smile: So glad you finally made it out to try Howlin’ at their brick and mortar. :slight_smile: 1 hour and 15 minutes is long, but not bad at all compared to the more insane times (during holiday weekends, when school is out, etc.).

Glad you liked their Level 3+ (Medium+) for heat. Were you able to try their Collard Greens side? Love that preparation (one of the best in town). :slight_smile:

Note that the jump to Level 4 (Hot) is dramatic (Ghost Chili Pepper is introduced). :sweat_smile:

For reduced wait times, I think we’ll see some reduction when Howlin’ Ray’s opens their 2nd location (I’m glad Chef Zone is taking his time, making sure staff and OG location can maintain quality, instead of just doing a quick cash grab and over-expanding too fast).

That, or the next time Howlin’ Ray’s offers their Fast Pass Gift Card deal, jump on it! :smile:

Have you done Gus? Decently high sodium levels but if thickness of batter was an issue with you at HR, I think Gus’ batter is much lighter.

Also - 0 wait all the time, and ability to order via phone.

2 Likes

Yes, I have and it definitely has a thinner crust and a shorter wait, thanks for reminding me.

As far as copycats, I think my favorite so far has been Dave’s Hot Chicken in Hollywood. The atmosphere is a little weird, there’s sometimes still a line, and the chicken is not quite as good as Howlin’ Ray’s, but it’s definitely delicious and they’re open late.

I believe they only do chicken tenders at Dave’s? Also there’s a stand in the valley called bangin buns that also does hot chicken tenders ala Dave’s.

they seem to be popping up faster than poke and bobba shops

1 Like

Yup, Dave’s is just tenders. I’ve been impressed with their juiciness and seasonings, though! YMMV but I prefer just the tenders to the sandwiches, at both HR and Dave’s.

There’s a stand at the Woodman Car Wash called Hot Motha Clucker that opens at 7:00pm at night.

And another on Laurel Canyon in NoHo called Raging Hot Chicken.

I have yet to try these but I’ve had them on my radar:

I like Dave’s, been going since their pop up in Thai town. Good copycat IMO and way easier to get.

No mets. In stage IIb (as in “to be” opened at a later date).

Or just come to my office for lunch. I taskrabbit Howlin’ Ray’s for my staff once every 6-7 weeks.

4 Likes

Can I come work for you?

3 Likes

I had business at Framing House Design again so I thought I’d check to see if the rain dissuaded enough people from waiting in the HR line.

Sorta! Hopped in line at 12:10 and had food in had around 1 PM.

Had:
1 Sando at medium +
1 side of collards
1 side of fried pickles
1 solo wing at xtra hot

Collards were spectacular! I make collards all the time. I think my collards are pretty damn good. I am no Chef Zone!

Fried pickles are best in class, too.

Sando, as amazing as it is for a chicken sandwich, is just never going to be as good as straight fried chicken to me.

Actually, spice level of medium + vs xtra hot not that different for me. Just the afterburn differs in that xtra hot just keeps . . . on . . . going. Personally prefer the medium + because I just get bored by the burn.

Tonight . . .

10 Likes