Let’s talk Khachapuri, particularly the adjaran / adjaruli style (Georgian cheesebread that a lot of Armenians make)

Karas in Glendale this; they call it "grilled khachapuri, Homepage

This is some sort of a bastardization.

Re: calzone khachapuri–sorta, but the top is actually just hardened cheese.

Re: greens and herbs stuffed bread: Dyedushka often picks up something that looks super similar from the Russian deli, though I don’t know its Russian name off the top of my head.

Am I losing my mind, or did Eater pull down their blog about Tony’s?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - now I’m hungry. Can’t wait to try these soon.

1 Like

It’s an armenian thing if it looks like that… i actually dont think we have a russian word for it!

interesting about the other cheese topped khachapuri. i’ve only had ones like pies with dough on top and bottom

very cool you have a dedulya

Are they related to the T&Y in the Farmer’s Market?

Yes. That’s where the stale stuff goes and gets marked up for export lol

2 Likes

@Nemroz, is this what would be called imeruli khachapuri??

Per google images i guess so? i dont have any georgian language skills.

1 Like

Per @foodshutterbug’s tip, we went over to Pink Orchid tonight to try the khachapuri.

It was… fine. The cheese was much more like a traditional pizza, melty, but hard with none of the goopy cheese sauce loveliness that Tony’s has. The dough was fine, like a decent pizza crust but nothing amazing. The eggs were horribly over cooked but even the server acknowledged that the kitchen messed it up. Overall, without the semi liquid cheese in the middle, the fun of ripping of chunks and dipping it is entirely lost.
In a competition between Tony’s and PO it’s Tony’s all the way.
The PO one does come with complementary cardamom tea though, which is nice

2 Likes

Pink Orchid Bakery is very close to me, but Tony’s isn’t un-doable. I always feel intimidated walking into Pink Orchid b/c I get some glances from the men playing checkers, and one of the employees once kept asking me to repeat “asali” (the honey cookie) while we nearly died from laughter over my pronunciation. ::sigh::

2 Likes

We obviously looked like we didn’t belong when we walked in there, because the woman behind the counter asked if it was our first time. She gave us a free cookie and was very welcoming… we never tried to say asali though, so maybe we got lucky.

Maybe people were staring at us, but at this point I’m used to looking out of place in restaurants

Yeah, the other employees have always been very polite, so it was really just that one employee (who was quite young).

And maybe the men give sideways glances to everyone. :wink:

Will probably check out Tony’s first since it sounds like it was a much tastier product.

We’re never out of place. We’re FTCers and we are always in the right place and right on time. I give people attitude right back if they try that bs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They looked at you, that’s all. Maybe they liked what they saw, maybe they saw a new person and wanted to see. These are very social scenes back home and in Iran, don’t expect people to keep looking down when you show up.

1 Like

One time at Bevri the manager came over and apologized that my khachapuri was going to take a while because the kitchen didn’t get it right the first time.

2 Likes

Might have to try tony kachipuri tonight

Will someone just report back already if Tony is Armenian? I’m carb challenged currently.

Will you only go if one of the owners is armenian? One of the founders of banh oui is named Armen Piskoulian so I would imagine that some type of armenian ancestry is likely.