Let's talk about pies. . .your faves?

Yes, I am a pie baker. We’d much rather have pie than cake. You might want to check into Pie Nation on FB too. The most unusual pie I made this year was from a little book, The Historic Kentucky Kitchen published by the Ky Press. Very old recipes handed down. The pie is The Seaton Family Carrot Pie. I know it sounds odd but it was quite good seasoned with lemon among other things. People thought it was sweet potato and were pleasantly surprised. I don’t have a picture so you’ll have to take it with blind trust that it is a great pie. Scuppernongs are in the market so I’m thinking of giving them a try in a pie soon.

1 Like

Why is Savannah so good for pie? I’ve been there a gazillion times in the past.

They’re in the right latitude zone, tropical to sub-tropical climate. And things like blueberries are native to Georgia, and while peaches are not native to the area the fruit has been around since the mid 1500s and now the state of Georgia is one of the top peach producing states in the U.S. (with CA, NJ, and SC being the others). Plus the peaches from Pearson Farms, GA is some of the best in the nation, with restaurants like Per Se and bakeries like Bayou sourcing the fruit almost exclusively from Pearsons.

2 Likes

What Ipse said.

:yum:

Thanks for the education. I grew up in Atlanta, the Peach State, and never questioned their superiority…until I moved to SF. IMO CA peaches are so much better.

1 Like

I’ve been disappointed in some of the peaches I’ve had from farmer’s markets in and around Pasadena CA this year. A batch from a favorite grower turned up a little spongy and tasteless, maybe drought victims? I was looking for some good ones Saturday, and while one grower’s peaches were okay – the white, which I don’t care for, better than the yellow – the yellow nectarines turned out to be serious flavor bombs! I tend to ignore nectarines for some probably snobby reason, but those guys got me to thinking hard. The Saturday ones were just to have with ice cream, and sure weren’t wasted on it, but I’m thinking one of those kinda freeform rustic tarts …

2 Likes

A friend asked where to get a good White Pie in L.A. I Dunno’. Who here likes White Pies and where do you go to eat them?

They’re not looking for pizza?

1 Like

I like my red sauce, but mozza has some whites.

1 Like

La Morra Pizzeria.

The burrata and ramp pie is stupendous, and I don’t even really like burrata.

1 Like

Sweet pie - blueberry/peach combo.
Savory pie - clam.

meat pies > * pies

Where’s @Plumeria?

Here’s a link to the recipe for Lindsey Shere’s almond tart.

2 Likes

I like any tart whose filling recipe starts with heavy cream and ends with Grand Marnier

6 Likes

Today we reflect on and honor the life and mourn the death of the great Martin Luther King Jr. Me being a food geek I was curious about his favorite foods. Well, him being a southern man you can guess what his favorite dessert was. Yep, Pe-can Pie! Or as our resident southern born gal,@catholiver, calls it, Pe-cahn Pie! I call it delicious! RIP Dr King. If there is a heaven I hope they’re serving you your favorite pie.

4 Likes

I just saw his granddaughter on the news. I bet she loves that pie also. xoc

1 Like

Another favorite was those black-eyed peas your daddy wanted to stuff you with.

Good lord, sweetie, you obviously are way younger than I that you can remember that. See below.

I had maybe a half cup of peas and rice AFTER breakfast this AM and peas, rice, kale and a little pork for lunch. (Collards were $4 for 4 leaves!)

2 Likes

A lovely story about mango pie and America, here:

And the recipe, here:

(I am not a mango-loving person, so am uncertain I’d make this, but I’d gladly try a slice, especially as it looks very similar to my favorite strawberry/yogurt/Cool Whip pie recipe.)

1 Like