Little Damage's black cones

New BS in town:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/little-damage-los-angeles

Nothing new about black ice cream (B&R had licorice ~50 years ago) but black cones are fun.

Interesting that they got a ton of press, largely in fashion magazines / sites, but nothing I can find from food writers.

I wonder if they use FDA food dye blue #1 (like they did with those black burger buns from Burger King a few years back…) to prepare those cones. That caused a few harmless, but concerned phone calls to certain MDs a few years back…

1hr wait on line for a $7 vegan black cone?
Thanks but no.

2 Likes

They use activated charcoal powder.

I know what’s up with LA. You guys will wait in line for hours . Let alone the traffic. Amazing people.,:+1:

1 Like

Apparently the long lines in CA have spread into Texas.

Only if the instagram love is strong… Encroyable, indeed.

Simply Amazing. You are true Troopers.:muscle:

It doesn’t seem like something anybody on this board would line up for.

3 Likes

I seem to differ with you Robert. People on this board will most likely line up for anything that’s good. LOL. So a new topic would be . What food would people in L.A . wait for hours in line for take out, or even a table to sit down and be served ?

I haven’t read any reports that it’s good.

I would see it as no one is ecstatic . Just Ho Hum . Just another place to eat where someone is trying to make a buck . No harm no foul .

In order to be on the line, you got to be either a YaB (young and beautiful) or a RaF (rich and famous ). I do not qualify. Sorry.

Or Aw7B (anybody with seven bucks).

1 Like

… or AW70BTPTTSIL (anybody with 70 bucks to pay Taskrabbit to stand in line).

The one plus side of working near Skid Row was going to Little Damage when there weren’t lines…
so:

the ice cream: “unicorn tears” tastes like vanilla and food colouring. the charcoal almond tastes like almond extract (kinda good)

the black cone: crumbly in texture, tastes kind of like an oreo, but muted.

the service: i watched the dude behind the counter wince repeatedly and raise his voice when a homeless man entered the shop. glad to see a business thriving in the area, but was really bummed out by this behavior. maybe they’ve gotten it together in the months since. i hope so.

drips and swirls is a short drive away; i’d go there instead. if you want the “instagram factor,” the recently opened bumsan in koreatown (next to beer belly) has millennial pink walls and pretty cones.

I like Drips and Swirls so much I almost Uber’d my way there from DTLA.