Little Ethiopia

how am i supposed to pay attention to a post filled with comments about silverware, gluten, hands getting messy and some issue with beef lol

Nemroz, when I last checked, Omotesando’s post had 4 likes.

Some people were able to pay attention.

1 Like

I kinda’ understand where @Nemroz is coming from. You start a thread and it goes in directions you hadn’t planned. But that’s the nature of the board, so you deal.

And shhh… I don’t want to send him over the edge with anymore personal peccadillos, but I like the injera at Lalibela @Omotesando. It’s less tart.

I promise to go to Little Ethiopia, Nemroz, after
Thanksgiving and do a proper report, lol.

1 Like

@TheCookie The injera that they give you at Lalibela – the one that they give you by default unless you specify you want 100% teff injera – was fine. I was commenting on the 100% teff injera which they will give you only if you tell them that is the only kind of injera you will eat.

I’m not sure which injera you are commenting on.

Probably the default one. I like it.

oh i’m sure it has lots of value for others… i just tune out when it seems to me that it’s peripheral stuff or dietary restrictions.

You’re both right. It all has value. :slightly_smiling_face:

What are your Buna favorites @Nemroz & @Omotesando?

@TheCookie, at Buna, I like the whole fish, the scrambled eggs and the veggie plate. If I had to pick one, I think I would pick the eggs - they are just insanely tasty for some unknown reason since it is just scrambled eggs with tomatoes, onions, chiles and some spices. The ful and the lentil sambosa are also good. I don’t eat beef, so haven’t tried the beef dishes and the one time I tried the chicken I didn’t like it. A friend once ordered the salmon fish dullet and I didn’t think it was very good.

The tiramisu is very good, as is the baklava and I usually hate baklava. I also like their spiced Ethiopian tea.

Just writing this makes me miss the place - I use to eat there 2 or 3 times a week pre-pandemic. During the pandemic, I have gotten delivery, but it’s not quite the same. I think one of the reasons I really like the place is because literally everything is cooked to order and comes to your table piping hot (I hate lukewarm food). Because everything is cooked to order, when you are dining in, it can take awhile to get your food, but I never minded. Just don’t go when you are in a hurry.

4 Likes

Lalibela is my favorite of the Little Ethiopia restaurants. Their sambusas / samosas are really great.

I too wrongly assumed I would like the 100% teff injera better than what I figured to be the Americanized teff & wheat version. The teff & wheat version is much better to my tastes.

It’s hard to go wrong with Ethiopian food though. I’d go back to pretty much all the Ethiopian restaurants I’ve been to on Fairfax or in DC, Oakland, etc. I like the Ethiopian people; they remind me of Thai.

Hi @Omotesando -

I already ordered before you replied.

We’d been meaning to go to Buna for a while but it didn’t happen, now COVID. I agree with you about takeout and will reserve full judgement until we can dine-in. Especially when it comes to Sambusas (not pictured). It’s the 2nd time we’ve ordered them takeout (from 2 different places) and they were a soggy, oily disappointment.

Bad takeout photos…

Vegetarian Platter

Yesega Wot (spicy beef stew)

PROS - I definitely see the possibilities and why folks love Buna when dining in - fresh, distinctive flavors.

CONS - small portions, beef a tad dry (but not a deal beaker), Sambusas a disaster, but it’s takeout - they can be oily even in the best circumstances.

We didn’t get the Tiramisu this time because we have a freezer full of Antico Ice Cream. They also have a small market I wish I’d known about before ordering spices & stuff online.

I would order Buna again - the Scrambled Eggs, Whole Fish and 2 Veggie Platters, maybe even the Beef.

Happy Little Ethiopia Eating!

3 Likes

Nice job. Aren’t sambusas deep fried? Like supposed to be oily. What’s the process of buying Antico ice cream @TheCookie?

1 Like

Yes, deep fried indeed. But most Ethiopian places use more of a pastry/danish-type dough for Sambusas as opposed to Indian Samosas which seem to have a thicker sturdier shell… so to make a long story short I love Sambusas but they don’t travel well and if the temp isn’t exactly right to get ‘em in and get ‘em out quickly when frying they can be soggy with oil even in-house. Loved Merkato’s Sambusas.

1 Like

@Nemroz The Ice Cream at Antico is so popular now they’re making more of it. Last time I called to pre-order they said no need just come over. If you want Pizza then let them know about 30 minutes ahead. Just walk up to the window and they get your food. It’s the most kush takeout around. My favorite Ice Cream flavors are Honeycomb and Harry’s Berries Strawberry and the family LOVES the Vanilla Pistachio Crunch.

2 Likes

I found the chicken dry the one time I ordered it and the chicken flavors didn’t sing. I have always liked the sambusas, but never got them as takeout. The eggs make me very happy. :slight_smile:

As to small portions, I noticed when I ordered takeout recently that the portions were a bit less generous than when dining in or even pre-pandemic takeout.