Little Saigon Adventures

what.

ever.

Ba Le

Although there are many Ba Le’s in the US they are all independently owned and operated but all have some type of connection to the original, be it former employee or family/friend. The recipes can also be different from each one.

Everything here is house made. The bread, pickles, protein, mayo, and pate.

Pic of the Mayo that is available to take home.

They do make one of the best Banh Mi’s around. This “Bacon”/Pork Belly Banh Mi is great…

Warm bread and pork belly combines with the richness of the mayo and pate spread with a balance from the pickles to create truly one of my favorite Banh Mi’s.

$3.81 for the damage. All house made ingredients, you can’t get a sandwich at any of those shitty sandwich chains for that price.

One of the workers there said I should try this next time since New Years is coming up

2 Likes

Nha Hang 1.99

This is a Little Saigon classic!!!

I hate all you Yelpers who give this place less than 4 stars especially for the whole “its not $1.99 anymore”. Well no shit man. The 2 locations are strategically located at the West and East bookends of Little Saigon (Beach Blvd and Harbor Blvd).

Real OG’s will show their age when they truly ate here for $1.99. I think just about every Bolsa kid has ate here. Every.

So it’s now $6.75 and you can get a small mound of rice, egg, pickles, and Cornish hen. Of course the sauce!!! The sauce has onions that are completely cooked down until they are sweet. The sauce is more on the salty side but then you get a hint of sweet from the onions. Enjoy the crispy skin on its own first. Then parts of the chicken with a little rice and sauce.

Thank You Nha Hang 1.99 for feeding anyone who ventures in and all the Bolsa kids past, present, and future fueling their bodies so they can do great things for their family and this country.

5 Likes

Extra sauce like a boss.

1 Like

Hot, easy sweet, always.

1 Like

I just try this next time.

More Hu Tieu!

But this place specializes in a different style, egg noodle-Chinese.

Delicious brown sauce. Fried shallots, pork belly, liver, duck, pork, squid, and fish cake.

The Uncles here expect you to order when you sit down so here’s the menu lol

2 Likes

No English menu. Use your Google Fu for Vietnamese desserts. Got this and the filling was mung bean and coconut.

5 Likes

Dayum. All the major food groups representin’!

1 Like

Outside of Little Saigon in Huntington Beach.

AFAIK the only place in OC doing Hanoi style. Tonight’s broth on point! Pure, beefy without being heavy. A few drops of lime and some black pepper AT MOST. The broth really stands on its own. What’s that? You never had Hanoi style? You would know. No dominant cinnamon, clove, anise flavor. More clear.

Ain’t no foodie media coverage here but I assure you, despite being outside of Bolsa, this is as close as it gets to Hanoi style.

2 Likes

“No food media coverage” he said, tempting fate

2 Likes

I’ve got to defer there. I truly haven’t explored the SGV Vietnamese scene in any depth. I’ve been kept far too busy with the Chinese places. Aside from hitting most of the Burmese places, an occasional other style is about all I manage before I’m out of stomach and cholesterol space.

3 Likes

None the less your SGV coverage is appreciated.

3 Likes

Seeking out:

Bo La Lot ( thinking ala carte at 7 Course Beef places)

Baked Catfish (Favori?)

The best damn egg rolls (with lettuce/herbs/fish sauce to roll up in)

Thien An Bo 7 Mon

3 Likes

+1 Thien An.

2 Likes

Mai’s Kitchen Family Meal Translation

(Note I will not be using proper thingy above the letter for tonal thing, I used Google Translate/Search and will link the first search/or whatever looks good, using Vietnamese Food ____(name of dish)

Proteins:

Ca Kho To. Braised Catfish with carmel sauce.

Consider essential Viet home style dish.

Ca Ro Chien. Deep Fried Seabass.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com.au/amp/pin/404549978997112081/
Only Pinterest. I am definitely not a Pinterest guy, ever.

Ca Lu Du Uop Xa. Marinated Mackerel.
Halp!!! Couldn’t find much

Suon Rim. Carmelized Pork Ribs

This is also very common. Maybe 2nd most popular???

Thit Rim. Same as above but just pork pieces.

Tom Rim. Carmelized Shrimp.

Thit Rim Tom. Same as above but both Pork and Shrimp. Sounds yummy!!
https://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-caramelized-shrimps-and-pork-tom-thit-rim/

Protein continue…

2 Likes

Mai’s Kitchen Family Meal translation continue…

Protein

Ga Kho Xa Ot. Spicy Lemongrass Chicken.
http://sundaynitedinner.com/ga-kho-xa-ot/

Trung Duc Thit. Meat Molded Eggs. Can’t find much on this

Dau Hu Non Chien Don. Fried Crispy Tofu. Not much either but pretty straight forward.

Thit Ba Roi Chung Mam. Google Translate said it’s “whole bacon”. I am guessing pork Belly with Fermented Sauce.

Dau Hu Nhoi Thit Sot Ca Chua. Tofu stuffed with Pork in Tomato Sauce.

This looks tasty! With plenty of search hits I am guessing this is popular!

Bo Luc Lac. Shaking Beef. Needs no explanation!!! Probably the most common protein dish known by non-Viets.

Thit Heo Kho Tau. Braised Pork and Eggs.

Okay that’s the whole Protein part of the family meal. Next will be Vegetable. Soup will be after that…

1 Like

Any of you Bolsa kids feel free to correct or add…

Rau Muong Xao Toi. Stir Fry Water Spinach with Garlic.
http://www.vickypham.com/blog/stir-fry-water-spinach-with-garlic-rau-muong-xao-toi
The most popular veggie dish!!!
Chinese, and Thai also loves this!!!

Rau Xao Thap Cam. Mixed Vegetables. ??

Bong Chi Xanh Xao Bo. Beef and Broccoli? Chinese or Murican broccoli? I don’t know…google search shows Murican.

Muop Xao Heo/Tom. Loofah melon with pork or shrimp. Not much here. But we Chinese also love this dish!

Muc Hoac Tom Xao Chua Ngot. Not much I can find but Sweet and Sour Shrimp or Squid?

Kho Qua Xao Trung. Bitter Melon and Eggs.

Bitter melon is for Grandmas!

Cai Xanh Xao Heo/Tom. Mustard Green with Pork/Shrimp…I think?

Cai Ngot Heo/Tom. Choy Sum/Yu Choy with Pork/Shrimp. Yummy

Ca Tim Xao Thit Heo Hoac Dau Hu. Eggplant Pork Tofu. We Chinese also like this.

Ca Tim Nuong Mo Hanh. Grilled Eggplant and Green Onion.
https://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-grilled-eggplant-ca-tim-nuong-mo-hanh/

Okay Vegetable part done. Taking a break before I tackle the Soup part.

1 Like