Lobster/Crab sale at 99 Ranch

It ends tomorrow, but 99 Ranch (at least the Van Nuys store) is having a 50% off sale on small Atlantic lobsters and Dungeness crab. Both are only $7/lb. They have really upped their live seafood game with new tanks sporting such items as sea snails, several types of fish, spot prawns as well as the usual shellfish.

5 Likes

Leaning a bit off-topic but Iā€™ve been shocked at the price of Dungeness. Seems like itā€™s twice the cost of a year or two ago.

Iā€™ve been shocked as well pricewise but, from what I have read, Dungeness is now prized in China, so suddenly our harvests are going there as well, which affects our prices. So $5 a pound becomes 8 -10. : (

Little Tokyo Market has had Dungeness on sale for the past few weeks - $7.99 a pound, live. Not dirt cheap but their tanks are clean, the crabs are frisky so I am glad for that.

Thanks for that background. I had wondered. We donā€™t get ā€˜freshā€™ crabs in Reno but when we go to Seattle (regularly) theyā€™re in the nabe of $15+/#.

I look at the cost of the crab fisherman . No guarantee the catch is going to be good. The cost of fuel , and the upkeep on the boat . Sorry, I will not purchase any seafood from China . Iā€™ll support the local fishermen.

Oh, I totally agree with you, em. I doubt that any fisher-person has ever gotten rich. I also became super picky some few years ago. We used to house exchange with a family in Sonoma, CA. Sonoma Market get their crabs in live and cooked them. Spoiled us. Dang, if our friends didnā€™t sell their home and move back to New England.

1 Like

Next time you are in Seattle, donā€™t look at the Pike Place fish market - check the local big asian markets. The crabs will probably be be from Canada but, less than $15 a pound.

Example, this place in Kent (which is know is far,I am just using this as an example) has dungeness for $8.99 a pound in September - when prices are usually pretty, high.

And, just tracked down the name for this place. Iā€™d been to their main shop in Seattle, nice to see they have other locations. They too have live tanks for fish and shellfish. Seattle Asian Market & Grocery Store | Uwajimaya

1 Like

Do you know if they manila clams there? Couldnā€™t find them at my local (Santa Monica) Bristol Farms.

They do. Whole Foods usually has them as well.

1 Like

We were just in the QFC in North Seattle and they had crabs for $8/#. Too tired/jetlagged to question them. Weā€™re picky and want them either live or cooked on site.

The two markets I listed have them live.

Now if you were in LA, I could take you to my market where they steam them for you at request and wow, are they fantastic.

1 Like

The suppressed price of lobster and Dungeness crab has to do with our trade war with China. As a result, cost of American seafood in China is about 25% higher and thus China is buying less leading to a large surplus of lobsters and crabs that are now flooding the US market.

2 Likes

Uwajimaya is a must-do for us! After dim sum at Jade Garden we usually go there, sometimes just to stroll the aisles :slight_smile: I had no idea they had other locations. Weā€™re in North Seattle but frequent make it down to Ikea. Thanks.

We avoid Pike Place Market like the plague, especially in summer when the cruise ships are in.

A friend said she got 2 live main lobsters for 9.99lb each at 99 Ranch and they were really good.

6 Likes

I buy the lobsters from 99 Ranch almost weekly when they are on sale and are pretty good. They are practically always soft-shell, in case anyone buys them wonders why there is so much ā€œspaceā€ and water in the shells.

2 Likes