Longo Seafood

Those aren’t bamboo steamers. They’re metal with faux bamboo steamer lids on top.

Metal for the front batch and bamboo for the rest as the steamers are made with a plastic-like frame.

Though we usually go for dim sum, we did go back for our fourth dinner there on Sunday. Previously Saturday night dinner at Longo was just like that at the other better, higher priced Hong Kong restaurants like Sea Harbour, Elite, King Hua and Lunasia, i.e. half empty. However the place was full on Sunday night, which was quite a surprise. With one of their “buy one, get one free” specials (in reality, they mean half off) such as lobster with noodles or steamed chicken, dinner is extremely reasonable if you avoid live seafood (like $20 per person) and is a great value considering the high quality.

So much of the food at Longo just feels like they’re trying too hard.

Just let it happen.

Creating delicious food shouldn’t be like trying to squeeze blood out of a bone.

Just let it happen, like sitting on your thrown after throwing down a bowl or two of dried plums.

1 Like

this sentence also feels a bit like you were trying too hard.

6 Likes

Lol

Native Cantonese speaker, speaking Mandarin.

I just checked out the KE post. They have different wine glasses for different wine. Impressive for a Chinese restaurant.

His face is blue for a reason.

4 Likes

look who’s ‘throne’ down

i nominate this for post of the year.

1 Like

Went for dim sum on Sunday. Portuguese egg tarts were great. Pork spareribs and chicken cartilage were good. Rice noodles and har gow were gummy and bad. Tripe and shumai were meh. Still prefer Elite for dim sum, though I may come back for some of those egg tarts to go.

I agree. When he pronounces the “z” sounds in pinyin in many words, it comes out more like a “j”, which is the corresponding sound in Cantonese.

What are “the buy one get one” specials?

Is it only the three items identified on this picture of the menu?

As @beefnoguy and others have mentioned… for this new “high end / high class-aiming” HK restaurant to switch to Buy 1 Get 1 Free and heavily discounted dishes already. :expressionless: The cheaper the better. Oh well.

Thats all folks.

They never switched. Those 3 dishes have been Buy 1 Get 1 Free since they opened, I believe. We had them back in January.

Went back this week to Longo. Have refined what I like and what to order, for next time. Having good Chinese on the westside where I can order intestine and tripe and brain certainly helps!

Ordered black tea.

my two faves - sesame bbq pork pastry and beehive creamy pastry

intestine - since I’m the only one who eats this, I won’t get next time

seven spices chicken cartilage - this version was not meltingly tender like the version I had in Richmond, BC. Overall, it was good, but don’t think I’d get again

chiu chow fun gor - this is so different, texturally, with peanuts. Def get again!

pork offal congee with pork blood, intestine, and liver - good but we took almost all of it home - wish they would serve it in little bowl sizes instead

Didn’t get a pic of the bbq pork with parsley rice rolls - this is fantastic and a must order! Also, we got the truffle shu mai, which my husband likes, but not a must get for me.

Got scallop dumplings, which seemed to contain mostly shrimp. Won’t get this again.

Tried this for first time ever - sugar cane shrimp paste - it was good but not for me, not something I’d get at again at dim sum - served with mayo for dipping.

They forgot our last order so we waited quite a while for it to show, which was good, because we could digest a bit and had more room to finish this off. I didn’t like it as much the first time I got, but did really enjoy it this time, dipped in chile paste. Lobster dumplings.

For me, this place is the best dim sum in so cal! Wish I could get there more often.

4 Likes

Took my old high school buddy here. She’d only every had dim sum once before and it was disappointing, in Portland, I think.
I have never been to dim sum and had someone want to order more food than I did! But Christine did! I again told the waiter that we were ordering way more food than I knew we could possible eat.

Eating with someone who had never had good dim sum was like trying it all for the first time. She was in heaven. She said it was the best meal she had ever had.

I tried to order wine, as a post birthday splurge, but they only sell red wine by the bottle. I think they have beer. We just got tea.

We closed this place out. We had a delicious, leftover dim sum breakfast the next day, including husband.

4 Likes