Looking for restaurant like LA's Providence - in the Bay Area

Friends:

I’m taking my SO to the Bay Area for his birthday (we’re Los Angelenos, but he grew up in Mill Valley), and I’m wondering if there’s any place like LA’s Providence in the Bay Area - I’m looking for a place that specializes in seafood, but has a lot of non-shellfish options on the menu. My SO generally doesn’t like to have to take food out of shells, or deal with bones when he’s eating. We also like sushi, but he doesn’t want to do sushi for his birthday.

Some other preferences - I can make reservations about two weeks in advance, but don’t want to have to worry about tickets or lotteries to get reservations. Also, if possible, we’d like a place that does not have blaring music. We’ll have a car, so we can go into the city, the East Bay, the penninsula or Marin.

I’m also considering Cockscomb or Liholiho Yacht Club - I’ve seen the previous comments about these places. I should note that in what seems to be an incredible inconsistency, my SO is fascinated by the prospect of us getting the whole pig’s head at Cockscomb, so I’d be interested in what folks think of that dish.

Thanks in advance.

-Roz

The pig’s head is great, but very filling. I wouldn’t order it with less than four people.

Maybe Boulevard, Acquerello, Perbacco, or La Folie.

None of these are really a Modern seafood restaurant like Providence. Of these 4, Acquerello is probably the least different.

In my opinion, the closest analogue in the Bay Area would probably be The Sea by Alexander’s. It’s in the Peninsula / South Bay - about 40 miles south of San Francisco. I do think Providence is a bit better.

The Sea has some pretty open availability on Opentable.

When Matthew Kirkley was at the helm of COI (briefly, last year), I would’ve suggested COI as it had a very seafood-focused tasting menu. They have transitioned to a new chef and new menu, and it doesn’t sound as similar to Providence now.

Lilohilo takes reservations 30 days in advance starting at midnight.

Boulevard, Acquerello, Perbacco, and La Folie seem similar to Providence in terms of atmosphere and likelihood of ending up on a “top ###” list. They don’t particularly focus on seafood though if you wanted you could order that way and have a great meal.

The few really good seafood restaurants in SF, like Hog Island, Skool, and Bar Crudo, are all very casual, like Cockscomb and Liholiho.

The Alexander’s mini-chain seems like a soulless corporate endeavor to me, and I can think of few things less celebratory than a trip to Palo Alto.

But the food isn’t that similar.

Yes, but you can also do this at many other restaurants. Doesn’t make the 4 “like LA’s Providence.”

Agreed. Good options for more casual seafood. Bar Crudo may be a bit loud. Not like Providence in the whole setup but the food is indeed closer to Providence here than it is at Perbacco.

I’m not a huge fan of Alexander’s. However, The Sea is probably the most directly similar to Providence (it would’ve been COI under Matthew Kirkley). I never had an issue with Providence’s atmosphere, and even if it doesn’t feel corporate, I know that Providence has both its fans and detractors.

In short, I don’t think the Bay Area has anything very similar to Providence that’s a great option; however, you can nonetheless have a good meal in SF.

That’s exactly my point.

I agree, just saying that OP asked

and I’m saying “Boulevard, Acquerello, Perbacco, or La Folie” are not really “like LA’s providence” and do not “specialize(s) in seafood.”

The Sea is the closest to Providence in terms of OP’s initial question, but itself is not necessarily a great option.

Unless we’re not thinking of some obvious place in the Bay Area like Providence, where one “specializes in seafood, but has a lot of non-shellfish options on the menu” and has a similar feel to Providence, then unfortunately OP may have to expand his/her search. Either The Sea, which itself checks the box in its similarity to Providence but is otherwise not all that great, or others, such as those you listed, at which one can have a good meal but at the same time are not in fact “like LA’s Providence.”

Since @kohrla mentioned Cockcomb and Liholiho, she’s clearly open to places that don’t specialize in seafood, which gives her a couple of orders of magnitude more restaurants to choose from.

LOL! And indeed :slight_smile:

It’s an interesting question why seafood restaurants around here are almost all tourist traps, bland corporate efforts, or simply mediocre. Sea Salt in Berkeley and Jack’s Oyster Bar in Oakland were exceptions to the rule, but both closed.

sorry i got nothing.

however i would recommend liholiho, they have a lot of seafood items on the menu. my last meal there was almost all seafood and it was excellent.

1 Like

I’ll just throw in Red Hill Station in Bernal Heights as a solid seafood focused option. Casual, so not at all like Providence, but a lot of seafood options on the menu.

Skool is really good and off the tourist radar. It’s particularly pleasant in the unlikely event it’s patio dining weather.

http://www.redhillstation.com/

This sounds great!

No need to apologize.

Just like if someone asked for Minotaur testicles and you said, “got nothing for you” … there’d be no need apologize.

Friends:

Thank you all for the great suggestions. First, while something like Providence would be optimal, as other folks suggested, we are open to other places, both in terms of atmosphere and type of food - I would say that casual atmosphere but really good food, with a fair amount of seafood and fish on the menu would be just fine -
I wanted to first see if my SO’s “dream restaurant” existed out there. It is interesting that a Providence-type of place might be as rare as a Minotaur’s testicle in San Francisco. Nonetheless, I’m very grateful for the other suggestions, and will very much enjoy checking them out.

And while it’s his birthday, I get to choose one breakfast place, and the discussion in Los Angeles board about Li Orient had me hankering for congee. My main considerations are places that have good broth, and yeow tiao made on the premises. I also love duck congee, but am fine with other types. So I’d love any Bay Area recs - there used to be a place in Chinatown that I’d visit every time I went up north, but I’ve forgotten its name, and I believe it’s closed. And finally, if anyone wants me to start a new thread for the congee recs, I’ll be happy to do so.

Again, much thanks for all of your wonderful help!

-Roz

1 Like

@BradFord 's mention of The Sea is pretty dead on close.

Palo Alto’s The Sea executive chef Yu Min Lin worked with Michael Cimarusti. at The Water Grill back in 2001, then spent time at Providence in 2005 at sous chef, then chef de cusine in 2007.

They can be a bit inconsistent, but the overall experience is very pleasant. I’ve never been to Providence but I guess this is the best we have for an alum. Went there for a birthday dinner recently; everyone enjoyed their dishes, though the poached lobster was unfortunately overcooked that was hopefully a one off. Seared foie app was great, and two of us enjoyed the steak (not their focus, but I had to order the rib eye because I brought along a heavy hitter bottle of Valdicava Brunello Di Montalcino 2010 that required something robust to go with).

There is another seafood focused restaurant in SF that I enjoyed, Farallon (though it has been a long time since I last visited). Not exactly the most quiet kind of dining environment though and likely not even close to Providence based on past blogs I’ve seen of the place.

1 Like

Right I forgot about Farallon. I went once about 10 years ago and it was fine but not compelling. The space is actually pretty cool though in an upscale theme park sort of way.