Los Angeles' Ice Cream Moment - The Daily Beast

I ended up hitting Mother Moo.

The Triplemilk is sort of like what Ned Flander’s would order at an ice cream parlor, but it’s probably the best flavor they have.

Triplemilk, Thai Tea, Cinnamon Brittle

Peppermint Stick, Black Sesame, Salty Chocolate

Mother Moo has a good consistency, but they lack the technical understanding of how to work with ice cream flavors that makes a place like Humphry Slocombe in SF so special to me. The Triplemilk is great, but extending beyond that simple flavor there are a lot of issues. Black sesamese really showed that they don’t totally comprehend what they are doing, being far too minerally to be edible; ended up throwing it out. Other flavors were just ok without reaching greatness. The peppermint stick was noteworthy in addition to the Triplemilk, though. Their main claim to fame is the basic use of high-quality ingredients in the simple ice cream, which is respectable enough, but for me an ice cream spot needs to combine high-quality ingredients with a technical ability to integrate those flavors into balanced flavors across the board to be great.

Gresescent is far more technically proficient in creating superb flavors with a comparable base, though. The Mother Moo shop has a really quaint small-town feel to it that many might enjoy, though.