Lovely Handmade Korean-Chinese Noodles - Lee's Noodles

Looks like the Chinese version with minced pork (listed right about the Dan Dan noodles).

101noodleexpress.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Maybe swing my Carinitas Uruapan also to compare vs the ones at GCM? :wink:

Will consider only because you can’t go wrong with beef roll and dumplings from there no matter what.

I’d consider Lee’s but seems to get very mixed reviews.

At this rate I’ll probably just go back to Earthen as long as Tony C doesn’t condemn me.

101 makes a bastardized Chinese-Taiwanese version of JJM.

If you want straight up Tawainese style JJM, go to Sin Ba La. Pair it with a plate of their sausage with wasabi. Goes down real easy together.

Personally, I’m sucker for JJM at Dai Ho.

But if you want Beijing style go to Beijing Tasty House (for broad flat fettuccine-style noodles) or Beijing Pie House (for thinner noodles). This is as close to Korean style as you’re going to get in SGV me thinks.

But for the best noodles, you might head over to Lao Xi. The sauce can be a bit sweet, but the noodles are toothsome with copious amounts of “Q”

Or, you can just come over to my place and I’ll whip you up a batch …

3 Likes

OP prefers OC :wink:

My bad.

I’ll go and SFTU now.

@Sgee, I got around to trying a few more Jajangmyeon places (including Zzamong) today. Thanks.

I think I like Lee’s more for sure.

My thoughts here:

Thanks a bunch ipse. :wink:

I’m more of a fan of the Korean-Chinese style of JJM, and thanks to you I have my favorite now (Lee’s). :smile:

I’ll have to try this Lao Xi place one day.

Argh! I passed by there a few months back. Took a peek inside, couldn’t figure out if they are opened for business; no one was inside. Saw a mainland Chinese guy smoking right outside the restaurant who probably works there. Lost interest, I just buggered out of there.

Ipse,

I am a small midwestern woman who, thanks to her Brooklyn dad, makes a heck of a shrimp with lobster sauce. The smallest but most important ingredient? Dried fermented black beans. That just add that oomph that you don’t get any other way.

So yay beans, and extra yay to fermented ones : )

Mmmm … genuine Chineses-American cuisine. That was my fav back then. Thanks for the memories.

When am I invited over for shrimp with lobster sauce in that case ??? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Kevin -

Do you eat shrimp?

I just got takeout from this place, and I gotta warn everyone about a shady business practice: they add a $0.50 surcharge PER ITEM ordered to-go!!

This is NOT what the menu board says, which only states that “To-Go Orders: +$.50” and not per item…not that I think to-go surcharges are particularly above-board or anything, either…

Will update once I’ve eaten my food…

FOOD REVIEW:

Okay, I’ve eaten the food, and I can’t say I was blown away at all. I ordered the Black Bean and Pork Noodle as well as an order of the steamed pork dumplings.

The dumplings were the better half of the meal, though I’d say they were only above-average. My to-go bag only contained a tiny packet of cheap soy sauce, so that was all I had to dress the dumplings; unsure if there is anything different for sit-down. Dumpling skins were nice and thin, but also not falling apart. Filling was a bit bland, though, and the soy sauce was truly awful–just salty tasting and containing added sugar according to the ingredients list (couldn’t taste it over the iodized salt, just empty calories).

The noodles were a disappointment. I didn’t find anything special about the noodles themselves, and they certainly didn’t seem house-made in appearance or taste. The sauce, however, was pretty bland. It was thick with a starchy taste to it (why? It goes over noodles…), and the pork and onions really only provided texture. Overall it was just sweet-tasting, and very little in the way of savory.

I much prefer the version that is over at Hong Kong Ban Jum 0410 / Paik’s Noodle at 6th & Alexandria, which has more of a savory taste to it and much more bold-tasting onion notes.

@strongoxman, thanks for the report. Bummer to hear about your to-go order.

I would have to say, to be fair, many types of food don’t hold up well to-go versus eating it fresh right at the restaurant.

I’m no expert on noodle life span, LOL, but in all seriousness, I’ve had takeout / to-go Dumplings from Din Tai Fung (we had a potluck at a friend’s house nearby), to-go from 101 Noodle Express, to-go from Mei Long (XLB), to-go from J&J (XLB), to-go from Shanghai No. 1 Seafood, all of our old SGV Hounds favorite Dumpling / XLB places (I have some friends in the area and we visit from time to time)… NONE of the to-go Dumplings ever taste as good as eating it in the restaurant. I wish it did.

Not making an excuse for what you had, but that’s my experience with all those beloved places that the SGV peeps recommended.

If you eat at Lee’s, you get 2 types of Vinegar (White and Dark) and bottled Soy Sauce (I usually just have a dash of Vinegar as what my Korean friends taught me with this type of dumpling) and it’s great.

Noodles as well… I don’t think pre-cooked Noodles or Pasta holds up very well. Then again, YMMV. Thanks.

@Chowseeker1999 Thanks for the detailed response; I should clarify that I live in the area, and my walk home was less than 10 minutes. I found the dumpling skins to be fine–just the filling was under-seasoned.

As for the noodles, I was expecting something that seemed house-made, given the title of this thread. Now, I didn’t see the inside of the kitchen to know for sure, but I’ve yet to see house-made noodles that were so perfectly uniform in length and thickness. The dumpling skins, however, I truly believe were house-made, and those were excellent.

Good to know that my to-go surcharge wasn’t to compensate for the labor of pouring any dumpling vinegar into small plastic containers. Seriously, where the hell do they get off on that?

Great write up. Lots of mixed reviews about Lee but most seem to think the JJM is pretty good. Home made noodles always a plus.

The place downstairs at Galleria used to be our go to place.

@strongoxman

Yah, I agree about the surcharge. Restaurants have strange policies (I still don’t agree with the ones that charge an additional 3% (or those that charge an automatic 18% service charge (forcing you to pay that additional amount even if the service / food sucked)).

From your response in the other JJM thread, wow, sounds like you didn’t get the right noodles. It’s definitely worth a mention to them during the day (when I went twice during the day, there seemed to be at least 2 employees that seemed to be like a manager / owner type and they were friendly). Maybe bring it up with them about the wrong noodles and other stuff?

Or maybe they sold out of their handmade noodles during the day and used storebought noodles (as backup?) on days that they run out of their handmade noodles? I’m just guessing.

i think i figured out why i found the refinement of the JJM, while excellent in terms of technique, so…jarring; in my experience, korean food tends to up the ante, so to speak in terms of flavor & texture/contrast. to see it go the other way, especially when adapting a street vendor dish from a different culture, just seems… wrong. almost westernized, if that makes any sense.

Of course.

And that’s seriously no fucking joke.

strongoxman:

1. i have yet to experience ANY noodles-to-go that weren’t HORRIBLY undermined by the to-go process.
    anywhere, any restaurant, any style,

2. if you are talking about Lee’s noodles, i’ve been there several times now.
    imho, the sheer quantity and quality of the food they have served me is such an incredibly wonderful value, that, imho, your description of 50 cent charge as “shady” is over the top.

if you ever go again, and you see me there, please identify yourself to me so that i can donate $1 to you to help you get over your outrage/anger at this inconsequential charge that was made by a mom 'n pop operation that offers wonderful deals to their customers practically across-the-board.

in the big picture, their food and their deal, to me, is so TERRIFIC that i drive to and from LAX to get there.
i’m sorry that you are not as pleased with them as i am.

3 Likes