Lucia's Pizzeria - Berkeley

http://www.luciaspizzeria.com/

New place in the former Belli Osteria, next to Comal. I had dinner plans so I just got wine and snacks, but I got photos of a couple of other customers’ pizzas.

Nice by-the-glass / carafe section with a lot of things I’ve had at the Punchdown.

nice Castelvetrano olives and very tasty roasted nuts

The vegetarian fritto misto was one of the best I’ve had. They use a rice batter so it’s very crunchy and doesn’t wilt. Nice variety, good portion. Like Zuni, it would be hard to return without ordering this.

Went back to try the pizza and because the place is open late (same hours as Comal next door). Started with the fritto misto and two chalkboard specials, a very unphotogenic but delicious mushroom and cauliflower soup and a warm caponata that was so fragrant we decimated it before I thought to take a photo.

The pizza is Neapolitan style, so tender rather than crisp or crunchy, with a nice scorch top and bottom. We got a Big Ham with prosciutto cotto, mushrooms, and fresh basil. Great flavors. Bigger pies than Una Pizza Napoletana, one was plenty for two people with the other stuff we got.

Also had the chalkboard special eggplant parmagiana, another unphotogenic but delicious dish, dense and creamy.

Finished with the zeppole, barely remembered to get a photo. Four of these to a $6 order.

I really like this place. Most of the people who work there are Italian and it has a welcoming family-business atmosphere that’s common in Italy but very rare here.

2 Likes

Ordered all the chalkboard specials the other night. Portobello “carpaccio” was nice, excellent pecorino made the dish.

24-month San Daniele with black truffles, reaaaaaaaaly good.

Chile pot de crème, delicious.

4 Likes

That food looks very appealing.

Finally made it. 3 of us shared
(1) Veg Fritto Misto - not bad, wouldn’t likely order again.
(2) Burrata w/tomatoes. Very good.
(3) Margherita Pizza. Very good
(4) Lips of Fire Pizza. Very very good

Loved our server. I wouldn’t hesitate to return. Plenty of food for 3 - one more small plate and one less pizza would have been enough.

Went for brunch for the first time the other day. Unfortunately they were out of porchetta hash.

The Californian: levain toast with poached eggs, avocado, Hollandaise, and roasted tomato plus a side order of bacon

American Breakfast pizza: tomato and bacon topped with a fried egg

I was surprised to see a chelada (they don’t call it that) on the drinks menu, but it was really good: Trumer Pils with spicy Bloody Mary mix.