Lunch at Raku in WEHO

Then I guess none of mama ipsedixit’s special okra sea cucumber zongzi creations for you this year. I’ll make sure to let her know, cuz we saved you some too.

1 Like

How kind of you! Of course, I was talking about everyone else’s sea cucumber. I’m sure your mom’s version is lovely, especially mixed with nice, slimy okra. I will eat it with a big smile. :innocent:

2 Likes

I need to be adopted by your family. I promise to make myself useful - surely you need someone with my skill set in the house?

1 Like

Are you good at eating?

1 Like

Is the Pope Catholic?

1 Like

If we’re talking about Pope Lenny (the Young one), then probably not. Not a good eater, but a picky one - he does like his Cherry Coke Zero in the morning.

2 Likes

Loved Raku dinner so much, had to come back the next day for lunch!

The bento box is legit as hell and the pictures alone made my homesick Japanese friends drool!

Top section: a series of super awesome delectable bites designed for sake, with the refinement of high end kappo izakaya in Japan. The dish second from the left was amberjack and marinated bluefin guts (shiokara style). To the right of that is sea urchin with poached egg, and crispy asparagus at the right end.

The grilled black cod and the tamagoyaki were very, very good. The tonkatsu medallions were a huge surprise and with their excellent tonkatsu sauce, makes for an unstoppable combination (I dare say this was one of the best tonkatsu I’ve had in a while, the frying skills are top notch).

The oyako don (not picture) was also very satisfying.

Even though it was lunch, it was also a vacation…and with a bento box this yay good, it deserved to be paired with some sake.

Tamagawa “Heart of Oak” Tokubetsu Junmai

There was not a lot left in this bottle, but it was very well kept, a recent bottling date, and pretty damn fantastic for a first taste and for just one glass. Supreme with the nibblers/top section of the bento and also with the tonkatsu as well.

You can find this bottle for sale up the street at John & Pete’s which I will now advise against buying…though it makes me sad seeing their inventory and how it is kept. But rest assured you’ll very likely get a prime specimen by the glass or a fresh new bottle at Raku.

11 Likes

that bento box has my name on it in 10 days or so. reservations needed at lunch?

2 Likes

nope, super dead.

1 Like

Their kaisendon is pretty damn good too.

Has anybody tried the wagyu hambagu?

4 Likes

That looks amazing! @PorkyBelly why didn’t you remind me to get this? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

you’d recommend it now?

Correct. Walked in right when they opened the doors on a Thursday and had choice of any seats. By the time we left, there were only a few other customers. Not sure about weekends.

Also, don’t forget their desserts (also available during lunch, ask what they have).

1 Like

yes, but if it’s your first time start with the bento box.

I need to get my ass down here because the end of this month until a week after new year a lot of Japanese restaurants close.

And indeed I ate that bento box today. Thanks for drawing my attention to it: great stuff and a very good value for what it is. And as I don’t think it was mentioned earlier: the miso soup that is included is also top notch as is the little bit of the Raku tofu that comes with the included salad. My only regret is that despite asking a couple of times I was not able to get clear descriptions of everything out of our server.

The missus got the grilled salmon combo and our boys devoured and loved a number of their skewers.

On the next trip we’ll hit them up for dinner.

5 Likes

And here is the review of that lunch at Raku last week.

Bento box highlights:

• The seaweed salad
  • The marinated fish thingy
  • The poached egg with sea urchin and salmon roe
  • The crispy asparagus
  • The grilled black cod
  • The tamagoyaki
  • The sashimi
  • The grilled chicken thigh

Other highlights:

• The Raku tofu with the salad that comes with the bento box and the lunch combinations
  • The miso soup with mushrooms
  • The included brown sugar pudding dessert
  • All the grilled stuff (yes, you can order of the robata menu at lunch as well)
  • The hoji cha

I guess everything was a highlight.

At $26, the bento box + miso soup + salad with tofu + dessert is a crazy deal for the quality (and these are not small portions). At $13, the grilled salmon combination (with rice + miso soup + salad with tofu + various excellent sides + dessert) is an absolutely insane deal.

Our kids loved it. The younger one refers to it as “the awesome restaurant” and keeps asking when we’re going back. Next trip; we only have a few days left on this one.

Thanks to all those who posted about their lunch!

10 Likes

Went back to celebrate my birthday at Raku. They were very nice and remembered that we had not been in in a while.

Started with sake.

And since we never get sushi here, tried this sashami platter. Excellent!

Always get the tofu with chile - perfect combo of chile and salt!

When they have live uni, though it is not on the menu for lunch, they will prepare it.

Eggplant is always creamy and delicious!

I forgot to get a pic of the pig intestine, but got it and loved it!

Pig ear was always delicious, but seemed exceptionally good this time, as was the pig cheek!

Tendon was melt in your mouth tender.

Okay, this was foie gras overload. Got the foie gras on a stick and the egg custard. Both excellent, though the duck on the custard was a tad dry.

Bursting at the seams here but this was some of the best, if not the best, salmon belly I’ve heard it.

Dessert only because it was my birthday.

Green tea creme brulee topped with green tea ice cream.

They said come back again soon, and we will!

11 Likes

I must have ordered wrong. Here is the $28 bento box I received via delivery ($16 + tip):

Even adjusting for drive time, the pork and shrimp were horribly over-cooked, and the tomato-maki was raw (the pets were happy at least). Other than that, it’s a giant pile of spinach and a lot of rice rolls. None of the garnishes were interesting in the least. I ate the potato salad.

I’m still planning on going to Raku soon, but I do not recommend ordering delivery from this restaurant.

Edit: I also ordered the Raku tofu and it was very, very good. I loved the texture and I want a box of it in my house at all times. The boy ate the rice rolls after school and liked the cylindrical shape and different furikakes on top.

1 Like

TBH I’m pretty let down that they were even willing to do take out.

1 Like