Luv2Eat (Thai Town): A Pictorial Essay

It’s possible for more than one place to be good at the same time…Sometimes it feels like foodies move on from one favoured new/unknown restaurant to the next one that’s “discovered” largely on a “been there/done that” basis.

And I’ll add that I don’t agree that the tom saap at Isaan Station is more palatable or accessible than the southern curry at Luv2Eat. The curry is much hotter (though at Thai hot levels the tom saap at Isaan Station was pretty damned hot too) but the tom saap is funkier in other ways that the southern curry is not.

3 Likes

Ohh, are the pink noodles the best?? I really hope it’s the pink noodles =D

Oh, I assumed TonyC was talking about the curry… :wink:

Oh shit… hah

Damn. I was really hoping it was the pink noodles =(

I agree, I thought the flavors themselves of the fish curry were very palatable. It just happened to be very hot. Take out the heat and you have an enjoyable, if not particularly challenging fish curry.

@TonyC what are the go-to dishes? I asked the waiter for his favorites and he was pretty non committal although he did steer me away from a few dishes. He did not think their boat noodles were good at all.

of the noodle soups, the yen ta fo is just more complex than the jade noodles, which mostly rely on the topping and the fun green noodles. yen ta fo has that fermented soy kick (though it should also have a hodgepodge of toppings), though the yen ta fo here is just a bit short of the killer version currently on offer at Thai Noodle King (Bellflower).

[quote=“set0312, post:38, topic:2295”]
what are the go-to dishes?
[/quote]here’s a “guide” in the other luv2eat thread. I had a really hard time with the various cockles; ymmv.

these threads should really be merged together for ease of use. there’s no “lunch” menu per se.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/the-seven-samurai-1

1 Like

They’re doing a whole Kurosawa thing.

I’ll be seeing at least one of them. Hidden Fortress is a strong possibility. And I want to take @TonyC’s advice and try that other noodle dish.

I finally went to Isaan the other day. So far, it’s the best Thai I’ve had in LA. (Over Pok Pok, Night+Market, Jitlada, Love2Eat, Pink Pepper and other random spots).

1 Like

dang

Glad you enjoyed, what did you get? And again, I thought luv2eat was great but I think Isaan Station deserves similar fanboying.

Crying tiger, papaya salad, khai yang (grilled chicken), fish sauce wings, short rib sweet/spicy soup, chicken larb (I was not alone, heh). Not a bad dish in the bunch. That chicken…

I really liked Luv2Eat but we got take-out and maybe something was lost in translation. We’ll have to go in person and do the noodles everyone’s on about here.

Yay, pink noodles! =D

So I DID end up going to Seven Samurai (which was spectacular, and unexpectedly funny!) and I DID end up getting yen ta fo, to wit:

The waitress (middle aged woman with a completely endearing manner) seemed surprised I (40something white guy) was ordering it, and asked “Little spice? or no spice?” I just told her make it how you think it should be. She also offered me a choice of noodle, that usually it’s the flat ones but I could have egg or jade. I took the flat.

First, @TonyC is right, insofar as the flavor of that broth is deep. Like, Carlos Casteneda-deep. I’ve never had this before, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it is a seriously satsifying balance of funky umami goodness and that seafood sweetness, and she must be a pro at judging spice levels, because it was perfect. Enough that my lips and tongue were tingling and alive for the whole meal, and a little while after, but never so much that couldn’t taste all the other stuff going on. I suspect that means ‘mild’, but I’m ok with that.

I think I’m generally competent with chopsticks and one of those asian soup spoons, but getting those slippery flat noodles to my mouth was a real challenge. Clearly, I need to work on my technique. The noodles themselves, however, were chewing and springy and slurpy and great.

And, as advertised, pink:

Is this better than the jade noodle? I dunno. I think I like the jade noodle more, but that’s just a matter of preference. Still delicious.

7 Likes

You have great taste in film and Thai noodles.

2 Likes

Awesome report @lectroid! :slightly_smiling: Those noodles and your description makes me want to get a bowl now. :slightly_smiling:

Hidden Fortress and Throne of Blood tonight. All 35mm.

And I don’t have to get up in the morning… hmmmm…

2 Likes

also used in the investment business

1 Like

I love that dish too. Had it last week, just to keep @TonyC honest. And, honestly, it was quite delicious.

1 Like

@CiaoBob, what are your recommendations for Luv2Eat?

I pass by this place so many times and need to try it soon. Thanks.