Luv2Eat (Thai Town): A Pictorial Essay

Shoot, I’m in.

On the tangent of meetups, wasn’t there noise made about DeSano’s at some point?

it seemed like we were tossing that around a while back. i haven’t been to L2E yet (and I need to go), but DeSano’s has a big space………

[quote=“LAgirl, post:22, topic:2295”]
DeSano’s has a big space
[/quote]and beer/wine. hanging with that many lawyers and Asians requires a Type 41,

4 Likes

I prefer Sapp’s, primarily based on balance: in terms of flavors and ingredient ratio. Luv2Eat’s version had the heat level front and center and the meats seemed like odds and ends. Sapp’s, to me, is more mindfully prepared.

Good point. While I like the jade noodles at L2E, I am not dissing Sapp’s in any way, because they DO put love into their food.

1 Like

I decided to catch The Man Who Fell To Earth at the Egyptian and since I was in the neighborhood I figured I’d see if @J_L’s fighting words about Sapp’s jade noodle would have to be answered as forcefully as his contention about that one ramen place on the west side was a contender for Tsujita. (It wasn’t)

But holy crap man. Those are some tasty FUCKING noodles. And furthermore, you’re right. The crispy pork is special.

Sapp is more convenient and slightly cheaper (by a buck maybe) but how good were they? Good enough that I’m sitting in a theater typing on my phone about how good they were.

Solid call @J_L.

1 Like

Did you…fuck the noodles?..o.O

Thanks for keeping me honest, lectroid.

Honestly, these are “go out of your way for them” level good.

I want to go back just to get them again so I don’t dump quite so much of the broth on them.
And then I want to get them and Sapp’s to go and have a grand championship.

That is how good those noodles are.

I’m looking at the Egyptian schedule for an excuse.

1 Like

Finally got over here. Holy cow it’s good.

I followed @TonyC’s rec and went for the fish curry instead of the crab. All about that QPR. I asked for it as not spicy as possible, and it was still nearly as hot as anything I’ve had in LA. But my goodness it was good, to be able to have that level of heat with that level of flavor is pretty incredible.

Had the jade noodles and I don’t know if they are better than Sapp’s, but they are damn good. Would have liked crab without the supplement, but too cheap to splurge on it. #gradschoollife

Thought the Thai fried chicken was identical to what is served throughout Bangkok. So that’s good.

What should I get the next time I’m there?

Also, @CiaoBob, I think it was you that I called you out for saying how good this place. Something about me not believing one restaurant could do so many types of regional food so well. My apologies. You were right. I was wrong.

2 Likes

Whoa, this is probably the most ringing endorsement of the place yet.

I guess I have to return sooner rather than later to the place. It seems their failure to bring out the crab curry when we ordered it on my initial visit was really a much bigger issue than I realized.

I’ve been waiting for your opinion on their fried chicken for ages though, it’s got those fried onions after all.

Its a damn good spot, for sure. Still don’t understand why Isaan Station isn’t getting similar love. The tom saap is as equally challenging (much more sour, less hot obviously) as the curry and the grilled chicken is better than its fried brethren at luv2eat.

cuz Issan Station “feels” antiseptic?

the tom saap is much more palatable than the Southern curry, from the clarity of the broth to the fire. (I’m assuming the POV of a white WeHo’er here).

having said this repeatedly: the khao man gai and the haiyat (sp) chix are NOT the strong dishes at luv2eat. the jade noodle isn’t even the most outstanding noodle dish here and it’s getting so much love.

1 Like

It’s possible for more than one place to be good at the same time…Sometimes it feels like foodies move on from one favoured new/unknown restaurant to the next one that’s “discovered” largely on a “been there/done that” basis.

And I’ll add that I don’t agree that the tom saap at Isaan Station is more palatable or accessible than the southern curry at Luv2Eat. The curry is much hotter (though at Thai hot levels the tom saap at Isaan Station was pretty damned hot too) but the tom saap is funkier in other ways that the southern curry is not.

3 Likes

Ohh, are the pink noodles the best?? I really hope it’s the pink noodles =D

Oh, I assumed TonyC was talking about the curry… :wink:

Oh shit… hah

Damn. I was really hoping it was the pink noodles =(

I agree, I thought the flavors themselves of the fish curry were very palatable. It just happened to be very hot. Take out the heat and you have an enjoyable, if not particularly challenging fish curry.

@TonyC what are the go-to dishes? I asked the waiter for his favorites and he was pretty non committal although he did steer me away from a few dishes. He did not think their boat noodles were good at all.

of the noodle soups, the yen ta fo is just more complex than the jade noodles, which mostly rely on the topping and the fun green noodles. yen ta fo has that fermented soy kick (though it should also have a hodgepodge of toppings), though the yen ta fo here is just a bit short of the killer version currently on offer at Thai Noodle King (Bellflower).

[quote=“set0312, post:38, topic:2295”]
what are the go-to dishes?
[/quote]here’s a “guide” in the other luv2eat thread. I had a really hard time with the various cockles; ymmv.

these threads should really be merged together for ease of use. there’s no “lunch” menu per se.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/the-seven-samurai-1

1 Like