Luv2Eat (Thai Town): A Pictorial Essay

They very obviously get a kick out of making white people squirm. It’s very telling because every time they order something they go through the same “ARE YOU SURE YOU"RE NOT A PUSSY” conversation, complete with winks etc.

2 Likes

That made me crack-up!

i have not been to this luv2eat emporium. i have a question:

if they ask you how spicy do you want the dish, and you reply, “please
make it as it supposed to be made,” what happens?

many thanks.

Hi @Nemroz,

Interesting. Sorry to hear. For all the dishes we’ve ordered, when they ask, I always say, “A little spicy?” (as a question, with a worried face LOL).

The waiter or waitress inevitably responds, “OK, so, ‘mild’ then.”

And their “mild” is actually slightly spicy, but not very much.

Note that I can’t eat very spicy either, but it’s tolerable at “mild” whatever that means.

We’ve said this for their Southern Fish / Crab Curry, for their Massaman, and a few other dishes.

Ditto on the LOL. The Luv2Eat posts are funny.

LOL… After reading these posts, I bet they ask you if you’re sure.

[quote=“linus, post:104, topic:2295”]
what happens?

That’s my MO.
It is quite hot, which I like.

Do they ask you if you’re sure? Or are you a regular?

good on you. for some reason – probably because i have nothing better to do, which is a me problem and not a you problem but i digress – i’ve just decided i’m sick of thai restaurants asking me how spicy i’d like my food.
i eat because i’m hungry and because i like food. it’s not a fucking contest.
so make me your food the way you like to make it. if i want to keep buying it, i will.
if i don’t like the way you made it, that, again, is a me problem and not a you problem.
you pays your money and you takes your choice.

i can’t think of another type of cuisine where i’ve been asked this question. only thai restaurants. and, in my experience, only in the u.s.

who’s with me, huh? boycott the practice of thai restaurants asking you how spicy you’d like their food. let them make their food.
the revolution starts now. it will not be televised. this is the REAL feel the burn.

Well your militant attitude would lead many Thai restaurants to go out of business. I’ve tried a homecooked meal from a Thai family from Thailand and it is LETHAL to my palate.

One of the favorite things in another Thai family I know is the habit of eating an afternoon “snack” of Thai Chilies straight (she had a bag of them in her purse to snack on).

It’s just a different palate, and if all Thai restaurants went with their own spicy level, I think most of them wouldn’t get much business.

In addition, your assertion above isn’t true. I’ve talked with mainland Chinese co-workers who tell me back home (China) and here in the U.S., when they eat at their favorite Szechaun / Hunan restaurants, they tell the servers all the time how spicy they want it and it gets adjusted for a little bit of spice or medium or a lot.

American eateries ask all the time “How would you like it cooked?” Rare? Medium-rare? Well-done?

I know friends and co-workers who freak out and refuse to eat anything with blood in it (so Rare / Medium-rare is out). I guess they’d just not go to the restaurants that don’t cook it their way?

3 Likes

Indian
Szechuan

3 Likes
  1. i’m kinda sorta joking, so my attitude is far from, um, militant
  2. note the quotation, “in my experience”. i have never been asked in any restaurant
    other than a thai restaurant how spicy i would like my food. edit: and that includes indian, sichuan, hunan, mexican, etc.
  3. it’s PALATE, not palette.
  4. now i’m going to be pretentious and say i was not asked how spicy i would like my food in thailand, and
    i was with locals.
  5. i know thai people that don’t care for spicy food.
  6. when a server asks me how i’d like something cooked, i tell them to do it like the chefs likes the food to be served.
  7. i’m also kinda not joking. i think from now on, when in a thai restaurant and asked how spicy, i will tell them
    however the chef (or cook) likes. or maybe with “i don’t care.” let’s see where that gets me.

[quote=“linus, post:113, topic:2295”]
6) when a server asks me how i’d like something cooked, i tell them to do it like the chefs likes the food to be served.
[/quote]1) That’s a good practice. I also like to ask about dishes the server likes.

1. But I agree with @Chowseeker1999. When it comes to spice levels, restaurants must ask for a reason (customers sending food back). Otherwise they wouldn’t bother. I like being asked. It’s considerate. What would bother me is if they push the issue by saying “Are you sure? This is very spicy.” - which seems to be the complaint of some of their diners.

2. For some reason I did not have one memorable meal in Thailand. So I’m thinking it couldn’t have been that spicy. Maybe we stuck to fruits and hotel food. Vietnam on the other hand… Yum!

…and 4) He/She only misspelled “palate” once, then spelled it correct in another paragraph. It’s jerky to point out misspellings on a blog. People are writing fast and sometimes on a small smartphone. It’s not a business letter FCOL. Oh yeah, I forgot you don’t like acronyms… For crying out loud.

5 Likes

i think that reason may be habit. let’s all pitch in together to break that habit. revolt, i say, revolt.

normally, i would agree, but young chowseeker came at me rather holier than thou, so i was just
giving it (most civilly) back. you gon’ come at me, you best come correct.
also, one could argue it wasn’t a spelling error, but a usage error. off with his/her head.

oddly, swmbo had the opposite experience wit thailand and vietnam. i had some memorable meals in thailand.
ain’t this a great big beautiful world?

1 Like

I love you linus. Never let a heckler get the last word.

Huh? Go back and re-read my post. Did you read what you wrote?

Linus wrote: " i’ve just decided i’m sick of thai restaurants asking me how spicy i’d like my food… who’s with me, huh? boycott the practice of thai restaurants asking you
how spicy you’d like their food. let them make their food.
the revolution starts now. it will not be televised. "

OK. Whatever makes you happy. You claim no other cuisine asks about spice levels, I merely gave some examples.

You’re consistently belligerent on these boards.

6 Likes

If Luv2Eat set their spice level the way their chef likes it to be made, their food would be inedible to 80% of their farang clientele. I find their Phuket crab curry awful at anything other than “mild” or “very mild” and most folks I know are even less desirous of having their stomachs shredded to the point of spending their entire next day in the john.

2 Likes

Love linus and Chowseeker1999 in a fraternal way of course. They both bring their very different and unique perspectives and value to our board.

Just my take, but I think linus is 90% tongue-in-cheek. Don’t let this 0.9 get under anyone’s skin. As for the remaining 0.1, most of that is usually factual but interlaced between more linus. Go figure - it does take some doing along with a dose of levity.

2 Likes

You pretty much write/speak what my brain thinks, but isn’t clever enough to communicate. The board wouldn’t be the same without either of them.

might i suggest, very, very calmly, you stop reading things that arent there?
and look up belligerent in the dictionary.
i don’t give enough fucks to get belligerent around here, except for when it comes to bigotry
and racism, and with the rather pleasant departure of AssTaster ™ that hasn’t been much of an issue.

and, FOR THE THIRD TIME, i said, IN MY EXPERIENCE, NO ONE HAS ASKED ME ABOUT SPICE LEVELS
IN A RESTAURANT OTHER THAN A THAI RESTAURANT.

now, i know i used capital letters there, but i’m not really that bothered. i’m not questioning your opinion; i’m questioning your eyesight.

chowseeker, you seem a nice person, but to quote whoever: you’re entitled to your own opinion, but you’re
not entitled to your own facts.

i have no idea what luv2eat would do if “left to their own devices.” that’s WHY I ASKED.