Luv2Eat (Thai Town): A Pictorial Essay

The coconut to me overpowers everything. I want to taste the fish/crab, lime, shallots, garlic, etc. but my tastebuds only get one note. I want to be open minded. Maybe over time I can appreciate and enjoy curry.

Gonna hit up Crying Tiger later for that squid ink!

Braised Baby Squid with Ink, Phuket Style.

Spectacular.

Amazing.

My only gripe is:

-Smaller portions than Luv2Eat.
-Lot of galangal and lemon grass to sort thru while eating, but if it didn’t have those it wouldn’t be as flavorful.

Squid is so tender. That ink sauce I want more to spoon over any rice that is still white.

You guys just trust me.

6 Likes

Fixed the problem with small portions at Luv2eat last night by just ordering extra noodles with my jade noodle order for $2 more. Turned it into a massive portion. Issue solved.

7 Likes

Extra noodles: An excellent life hack in general!

4 Likes

Such an easy, genius solution! Thanks for this. :pig:

-Person sick of having my jade noodles stolen by hub and toddler

2 Likes

I use N.B. also.

1 Like

Is there a thai equivalent of ‘kadema’?

Also, L.A. may have spoiled me forever on thai food. Vancouver, a city with a tremendous asian immigrant population, has almost nothing beyond the standard pad thai / drunken noodles / satay fare…

Green curry with roti is good, tho roti is kinda wack here

Moo deng is amazing

1 Like

that roti looks like classic home-style indian parathas.

In what way? I think it’s similar to the roti I had at Night + Market (and, as @MyAnnoyingOpinions, it’s familiar from other cuisines).

the roti at night market song was quite richer and crispier for me… maybe it was just a bad one at luv 2 eat… it was like a bleh scallion pancake without scallions… best one for me is at Simpang so far… unless you go bangla at Swadesh or something.

it may just be a case of different regional styles and expectations but i would not want a paratha (which is what indians would call that roti) that was crispy. the kind of paratha i am talking about is also what is called roti in malay food, by the way. it always bugs me that malaysian restaurants in the u.s can all make such good parathas while so few of the thousands more indian restaurants can make one worth a damn.

Ok, so just comparing luv2eat and night market specifically, these roti were not great… they’re much less greasy and flaky which is probably why

i have no idea what this style of roti should be like but for the sake of furthering confusion: a good indian paratha is never greasy and should not be crispy /flaky either. it can have crispy bits on the top but it should be soft/pliable but still composed of many layers.

1 Like

compare, at least visually the roti from luv2eat i posted to this from n+m song

1 Like

Should look like this (from Hungry Onion)

1 Like

dat aint thai, fam lol

The Thais got it from the Indians south of the border…

ok but we’re talking about thai restaurants right now…everybody up to jamaicans make roti…

thai vs thai resto is fair to compare

2 Likes