Ma'am Sir -- modern Filipino food

wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this restaurant on Sunset Blvd in Silver Lake, new from Charles Olalia (Rice Bar; formerly from Patina). I’ve loved Rice Bar and was excited to see this open amidst what seems like a developing boom in Filipino cuisine in the LA area.

We went recently and it was packed, which was nice to see. The bar program was excellent, my photos of the cocktails came out flat, but we enjoyed all of them.

Albacore Tuna Sinuglaw (Tomato, Onion, Avocado, Charred Pepper
Vinaigrette). Refreshing, the fish tasted fresh and it was well balanced, a good opener.

“Lumpia” (Savory Shrimp Mousse, Sea Urchin, Lardo, Garlic
Vinegar). Crispy, perfectly fried, light and delicate; I was worried the sea urchin would be overpowered but it came together very nicely.

Wild River Crab Fritto Misto (Green Lip Mussels, Garlic Aioli, Lime). Sorry, no photo. the small soft shell crabs were a nice touch, but some of the fried seafood was a bit heavy/oily.

Pork Sisig (Sweetbreads, Maui Onions, Serrano Chili, Green Onion, Calamansi), with the optional crispy oysters. Definitely recommend getting this with the crispy oysters, they were meaty and clean-tasting, and fried really well, better than the fritto misto. The pork/sweetbreads were rich and a bit heavy but the chili was quite spicy and added a nice kick. A substantial dish.

Chicken Adobo (Jasmine Rice, Cippolini, Roasted Garlic, Soy-
Vinegar). one of our favorites of the night, actually. the chicken was so tender you could eat it with a spoon, and the flavoring was surprisingly delicate yet obviously still had that adobo-level strength. there was a tomato in the middle that added a perfect touch. Really nice, we were stuffed by this point but almost finished this because it was so delicious, an impulsive last minute order but I’m glad we tried it.

I’m not an expert on Filipino food but I really enjoyed the restaurant and hope it does well. The dishes seem like they’re on the richer side overall but I think that would go well with drinking, and the cocktails are definitely worth exploring. Would definitely go back.

6 Likes

Went to a friends and family preview but really enjoyed it. The uni lumpia shanghai is great

The L.A. Times’ Bill Addison pushes out another review. Is his write up too flowery in his praise? I haven’t been and would love to know what everyone else thinks.

Just ate here tonight, and I had a fantastic meal! Although they have a DineLA deal going on, my dining companion and I decided to order from the standard menu instead.

Note: During DineLA, you either make a reservation via OpenTable, queue-up half an hour prior to opening for a seat at the bar, or get really, really lucky for a just-vacated bar seat or cancelled reservation.

The cocktail game here is strong; 4 cocktails ordered, and 3 of them were excellent, while 1 was “just” good. Food was quite good, all items ordered were balanced, complex and superlative. Cannot wait to return.

MS. UNIVERSE + VIVA HOT BABE

MS. UNIVERSE (left): Vodka, Butterfly Pea Flower, Bittersweet Vermouth, Albumin, Gum Syrup, Lime
VIVA HOT BABE (right): Gin, Hibiscus, Rosemary, Crème, Albumin, Lime, Soda

PORK SISIG [+ EGG]

Sweetbreads, Maui Onions, Serrano Chile, Green Onion, Calamansi, Egg

HANGOVER FRIED RICE

Sunny Egg, Lop Cheung Sausage, Ginger-Chili Condiment

CRISPY LECHON

Lemongrass Sarsa, Pickled Papaya

EGGPLANT STIR FRY

Red Onion, Tofu, Scallion, Spiced Caramel

MAGIC TEMPLE

Papo J’s Lambanog, Ginger, Lime, Soda

SCORPIO NIGHTS

Cimarron Blanco, Dry Curacao, Mango, Ginger, Lime, Agave

MANGO TAMARIND VERRINE

Tamarind Tapioca, Manila Mango Mousse, Toasted Honey Meringue

The Scorpio Nights was the one cocktail that wasn’t as awesome as the others; despite the description, it really tasted like a zhuzhed-up Margarita, complete with a very salted glass. Food-wise, the Hangover Fried Rice was the surprise standout, having been prepared perfectly. You know when you take a bite of something ordinary that is just so unexpectedly sublime? This was that. Fried rice perfection. The Sisig was, in my opinion, the least standout of the dishes, although it was still very good. You can find tastier sisig in Los Angeles, and next time I think I’ll try a different “PICA PICA.” The Crispy Lechon was delicious, as was its sauce; the crackling was sooooooo crispy. The Eggplant Stir Fry was probably the second-favorite of the meal, and that tofu was very well-prepared with nice, springy body. The Mango Tamarind Verrine was also nicely done, not too sweet, and well-executed. The mango mousse is more like a custard, but the variety of textures made this one a pleasure to eat.

Ma’am Sir is an excellent addition to the Los Angeles scene, and I highly recommend anyone to go (some dishes are or can be made vegetarian and/or vegan).

Overall: :star2::star2::star2::star2::star2:

6 Likes