Made in L.A.?

No, but if the hot dog at least tasted good I wouldn’t be as bitter about the whole experience.

i hear you and believe you. but i’ll repeat what ive said before:
i bet if i lined up hot dogs from any number of regarded places, and included pinks in the lineup, and did a blinfolded taste test, the results would be unpredictable and surpising.

i think the experience at pinks has a significant effect on people’s opinion of the hot dog.

1 Like

We’ll agree to disagree - just like old times. :grin:

I had a pig in a blanket dish at Alma that I would’ve waited at least 59 minutes for.

An hour? That’s tough to say.

Are you aware of any places doing it in less random locales? I’d never even heard of Colton and have been living in LA/OC for 20 plus years!

Try Sushinaloa int the South Gate / Lynwood area on State and Long Beach Blvd.

Culichi Town also does it and has multiple locations.

YOLO!

side note: never been to Culichi Town and only recently heard about it from second hand knowledge of an unreliable source, so TIFWIW

Check out all the Culichi Town locations!

Ironically, there is a location in Colton!

I was not so impressed by Culichi Town. The sushi is all rolls, and they all include cream cheese.

fair enough, amigo. and i enjoyed a just fine costco dog
on saturday.

new style sashimi

chili cheese dog, LA style

pastrami burrito.

Langer’s pastrami.

toro tartare with triple zero beluga caviar

the Shunji tomato thing and yes the elusive fucking truffle gohan that I still really really want to try for fuck’s sake.

Agreed on “new style sashimi” - the ubiquitous “yellowtail in garlic ponzu with jalapeno/serrano chile” (and maybe avocado) is entirely Nobu. Perhaps also his “rock shrimp tempura” with mayo/aioli?

Toro tartare with beluga is something very Masa NYC as well - though, I guess one might say that he did such things at Ginza Sushiko where Urasawa now is.

Shunji’s agedashi tomato yes. But to my knowledge, the truffle gohan is not an LA-original dish - it’s been the signature course at Azabu Kadowaki in Tokyo for a while (and I think I’ve seen pics of it at a few other kappo counters, too).

Pastrami burrito just sounds gluttonous (not saying that’s a bad thing here).

Kimchi Quesadilla. Great example.

Ah, how could I forget the crispy rice with spicy tuna a la Katsuya.

Sad but true.

do places outside of Southern California have Orange Bang? Company is based somewhere out in the valley, and I can’t recall seeing it in other cities…

(maybe I’m alone in this, but I fucking love Orange Bang. It’s Whipped!)

agreed, orange bang feels socal mexican diner to me. and i love me some orange bang.

Zo’s yuzu juice. It’s beyond fucking Sui generis.

The mighty ice teller ???

especially at oki’s dog

I’ve seen Orange Bang in Phoenix (at a restaurant called Chino Bandido of all places)