Majordomo - Chinatown

Total was $445 for food before tax and tip for three gluttons. But we ordered enough food for at least 4 or 5 people.

2 Likes

That could easily feed three gluttons and one small-belly hedonist. #eatingaroundtheedges

2 Likes

That’s such a great place.

On the online menu, the DIY temaki is $200 with the caviar & uni supplement and the ribs are $190, so everything else was only $55?

Great report @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: That new Temaki Donabe looks delicious!

1 Like

The string beans and tomatoes were compliments of the house.

1 Like

aaand it happened

2 Likes

“The first night the restaurant ran the fruit plate, only one sold. But then Johnson decided to freeze the grapes, and make the dish look more Japanese.”

Cooking manipulation at its finest.

1 Like

My wife loves the Bounty Bowl at Majordomo which is basically veggies in a bowl. **shrugs

If they can find an actual ripe melon like you’d get in Italy or Japan, that would give me another reason to go there.

I used to buy them from a vendor at a couple of farmers markets 30-45 minutes from my house, but he retired. Maybe I can check out out Weiser Family Farms next time I’m in LA.

The nam prik is what makes the Bounty Bowl.

Great dish for a hot day or just to get some veg to balance the rich stuff you’re probably mostly getting there.

1 Like

That didn’t take long. :slight_smile:

California seduces yet another cynical, dismissive New Yorker.

:peach::peach: :sunny::peach::strawberry::lemon::tangerine::avocado::cherries::eggplant::tomato::hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper::grapes::grapes::tangerine::lemon::tangerine::lemon::cucumber::avocado::avocado::avocado::strawberry::strawberry::strawberry::lemon::lemon::lemon:

Edit to add: I recently learned about the salted melon trick. I forget where I read it. Basically, if you have an unripe or not very flavorful melon, rub a little salt on the melon wedge. The first time I tried it, I used too much salt, but the second wedge was really good!

1 Like

A little togarishi is good, too.

i was wary at first but you’re right. the nam prik makes the dish good.
I was just trying to get over the fact that i paid for raw veggies in a bowl.

1 Like

They were hand-washed with local, organic artisan water.

6 Likes

Correction: Unicorn tears were used to bless the veggies.

2 Likes

As a matter of fact, the unicorn tears are indeed offered as an $8 supplement.

3 Likes

Not at Majordomo, but I’ve had Shizuoka musk melon for dessert at several places in the US. That is definitely the kind of fruit one can simply serve on a plate. Now, where to find someone serving Miyazaki mangoes…

Hence why the prosciutto and melon thing works so well! Actually I’m really into Culatello on melon - with age, the culatello has a distinct melon flavor and of course salty edges.

I quite like pepper on fruit - pink peppercorn on grapefruit works very well. Or, not quite pepper, but cardamom with orange.

2 Likes

Where do you get your culatello?

Culatello is available at Eataly.
It’s also sold at Guidi Marcello, but it’s been sliced and packaged already.

Also at Dopolavoro