Majordōmo - chinatown

As with all things Majordomo, there’s been a lot of talk about the price of the chicken. For what you got, did you think the price was reasonable? It looks pretty great.

Oh, the hand torn noodles + truffles + chicken looks divine…

For sure. It’s not like Nomad where you’re wondering where the rest of the chicken went.

hm. Side Chick, Red Chicken, Cluck2go, Tasty food, Dong Nguyen, Full House take out. No particular order. Different styles for different wants. I’m going to be next to Taishi tomorow, so gonna try that for the first time.

Outside of LA… prob Wee Nam Kee and Tian Tian in Singapore. I forget the name of a stall I had chicken rice in Chiang Mai but it was excellent.

Not a fan of Savoy?

If you think of it as two courses that can feed 2 - 3 people, I think it was reasonable. the chicken was very good, but for me i would get the ribs over the chicken any day of the week including holidays.

Are truffles a supplement? Because I want truffles on everything. Isn’t black truffle season over? How were they?

the truffles come with the chicken, i believe the truffles are used in the soup after they serve the cut up chicken and rice. i think that’s why it costs $80

Hi @Bookwich,

You definitely don’t want the black truffles on the macaroni and chickpea dish here. It was the worst dish we tried on the menu and the one major disappointment (and waste of money at $50 with zero truffle taste).

Consistent with the tastes of the Infatuation website, they rated the macaroni dish as the best dish on the entire menu. Haha. Granted their reviewer ate on a different night, but still.

Was in the house tonight again.

I would throw in the original Phoenix Kitchen in Chinatown. its not Hainan chicken but they do the classic Cantonese “white-cut” chicken and its one of the best versions I’ve had.

Has anyone tried the spicy Bossam? The carmelized football of meat on the Infatuation’s review did call to me.

the truffles are included. i got some ass-end nub of the truffle and didn’t get much flavor from it.

He was there again last night. Ordered their new special (as did we) of Lamb. CRAZY good lamb prep even though it has bipolar disorder.

One portion is a slow roasted rack of lamb seared then tossed with szechuan peppercorn and crispy potatoes on a bed of lamb rice. An Ode by chef de cuisine Marc Johnson and his long stint of cooking in China.

The other portion is very Mediterranean: a big ass roast lamb shank with pomegranate sauce served with a bunch of bings, crazy good yogurt sauce, cucumbers, hot sauce and scallion green sauce.

Interesting contrast, both very delicious.

Had it with a few btls of wine

I like how there’s a new item on the menu every time I go there.

I have majorodomorrhea from reading all this.

David Chang’s description: “the city of Cheng Du made a child with Blue Hill Stone Barns.”

@Haeldaur – I tried the spicy Bossam pork shoulder on my 1st visit in a group earlier this month. Out of 6 people, 4 people including me thought it was the best cooked dish among a parade of items we got (we didn’t get the APL rib because 2 people didn’t eat beef).

The pork Bossam came with 3 condiments – ginger scallion sauce, napa kimchi and ssamjang (a type of chili paste). They gave us a plate of 12 butter lettuce leaves and when we ran out, Majordomo refilled it on request. The pork sat on a bed of aromatic veggies (carrots, onions) and at the very bottom of the pan were a few bings, which soaked up the pork juices. The runner said we could just flake off the meat with a fork, but we asked for a knife because a person in our group wanted to carve it up into slices.

Up to this point of the dinner, some people were complaining items were overpriced (especially the steamed cod), but most agreed this dish was quite worth it in price as well as taste. It was $120 when I went earlier this month and when I revisited last week for the APL rib, the pork shoulder Bossam was priced at $150. It is not on this week’s menu posted on their website.

It was a delicious and impressive hunk of meat, but very savory and didn’t come with any pickles to cut through the richness. I recommend either getting some beer or yuzu soda to drink when eating this dish. I suppose one could also order an a la carte dish of pickles if they offer it on the menu and ask the server to bring it out right before or with the pork Bossam.

I went back a week and a half later with some beef eaters and in contrast the Pork Belly Ssam and APL Whole Beef Rib both came with pickles, providing more overrall balance.

Reflecting on my 2 visits, I thought the service was excellent – server and runners were highly accommodating and they even stood back when we pulled out our cell phone cameras to take pics of each dish as they arrived! There was a miss on the 2nd visit where one of the runners forgot to bring the water kimchi amuse and I had to ask for it after our 2nd appetizer had arrived. However, the server let us put in an order of the foie gras/strawberry/ricotta bing to have as dessert (ordered at the start of the meal, but server had it fired up right after the APL rib was served). I don’t know if this is a reflection of David Chang’s East Coast background, but the service was devoid of the haughty attitude I often come across at LA’s mid and fine dining establishments and earns big marks in my book.

The bo ssam also went from feeding “4-6” at $120 to feeding “6-8” at $150.