Majordomo - Chinatown

I’ve always seen APL and the majordomo staff cut at about a 45 degree angle to the bone.

20170909_124239

https://www.instagram.com/p/BimpTIbH-ea/?hl=en

initially they are cutting against the grain as usually the short rib grain runs perpendicular to the bone (so you cut parallel) but as you can see in the Major Domo one, they start to slice almost perpendicular to the bone in the middle and at that point you’re just cutting with the grain.

And if their rib’s grain is running parallel to the bone, then when they first start cutting they are cutting along the grain then finally against it. Either way, not the best way to slice it. But short rib is extremely forgiving since it’s so fatty.

Party of 2.5 (GF doesn’t eat much)

Not pictured:

Stuffed Peppers were good, had a very mild kick

Oysters on the other hand were not good, but wasn’t my idea to order them

There were enough leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day

imageimage

8 Likes

Is it possible to get a seat walking-in on a weekend night?

If you get in line long enough before they open.

Thanks! Rough estimates - an hour? Half an hour?

Stuffed peppers were great, really enjoyed the Lamb bing as well

Honestly on the weekend I’d say 3 hours or more. I went on a Monday and one party waited for over two hours and still weren’t seated. They were there when I got there and still there when I left.

I was there last tuesday at 630 ready to sit at the bar but was offered a table as long as we gave it back by 8. Didn’t leave until 815 but were never rushed. Had a good time and the service was very good all around.

4 Likes

Had a terrific dinner at Majordomo this weekend. Our table of 4 liked every dish we had but one. Service was exceptional. David Chang was in the kitchen and swung by our table to shoot the breeze for a spell. Seemed like a cool dude.

They were sold out of the APL ribs by the time we got there at 6:30… Apparently they had like 10 of them for the night and all had been pre-ordered by other reservations. Seems that’s the way to go if you really want it.

Standout dishes were the lamb bing, stuffed peppers, black cod and pork belly. The only negative was the kanpachi, which was pretty boring.

Best of all, the location makes it nearly impossible for anyone in a group to argue against hitting up Apotheke.

4 Likes

Nice. We met him on one of our visits and he could not have been nicer.

I think APL is going to have to go to Majordomo for his ribs.

7 Likes

if you arrive when they open you’ll get in easily, i’ve never seen anybody turned away or be kept waiting.

1 Like

Wonder what took the party I saw, so long to get seated. Friend went on Friday at opening and actually got a table for two w/o a reservation

Incomplete party, perhaps?

When I went to Majordomo, on a Tuesday night in February, there were a lot of people in line by the time they opened and they did not all get seated.

I don’t know if it was a fluke, but my husband and I walked in on a Friday night at 8 pm and were seated immediately because we were willing to sit at the bar.

1 Like

Consider that the much-hyped restaurant opened on January 23rd.

Also consider that a couple of weeks ago I saw people wait in a two hour line for boba at the soft open for Boba Guys in Culver City. Presumably, just to be one of the first ones there for the gram.

I feel confident I can go cut a cup of tapioca balls form Boba Guys in under 15 minutes now.

Same deal w/ Halal Guys when they first opened, compared to now… Hey - Boba Guys, Halal Guys… #thingsthatmakeyougohmmmmmm

Majordomo’s still booking up immediately after reservations open up at 10:00 am daily.

A Yelp report from just yesterday says she was first in line at Majordomo at 4:00 on a Saturday, the next people got in line at 4:30, by 5:30 there was a “massive line,” and they had to agree to clear the table by 8:15.

How many walk-ins they can handle might depend a lot on whether the weather permits seating on the patio.

the fish sauce scent in there is Major… and i believe it’s on purpose.