Majordomo - Chinatown

My wife loves the Bounty Bowl at Majordomo which is basically veggies in a bowl. **shrugs

If they can find an actual ripe melon like you’d get in Italy or Japan, that would give me another reason to go there.

I used to buy them from a vendor at a couple of farmers markets 30-45 minutes from my house, but he retired. Maybe I can check out out Weiser Family Farms next time I’m in LA.

The nam prik is what makes the Bounty Bowl.

Great dish for a hot day or just to get some veg to balance the rich stuff you’re probably mostly getting there.

1 Like

That didn’t take long. :slight_smile:

California seduces yet another cynical, dismissive New Yorker.

:peach::peach: :sunny::peach::strawberry::lemon::tangerine::avocado::cherries::eggplant::tomato::hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper::grapes::grapes::tangerine::lemon::tangerine::lemon::cucumber::avocado::avocado::avocado::strawberry::strawberry::strawberry::lemon::lemon::lemon:

Edit to add: I recently learned about the salted melon trick. I forget where I read it. Basically, if you have an unripe or not very flavorful melon, rub a little salt on the melon wedge. The first time I tried it, I used too much salt, but the second wedge was really good!

1 Like

A little togarishi is good, too.

i was wary at first but you’re right. the nam prik makes the dish good.
I was just trying to get over the fact that i paid for raw veggies in a bowl.

1 Like

They were hand-washed with local, organic artisan water.

6 Likes

Correction: Unicorn tears were used to bless the veggies.

2 Likes

As a matter of fact, the unicorn tears are indeed offered as an $8 supplement.

3 Likes

Not at Majordomo, but I’ve had Shizuoka musk melon for dessert at several places in the US. That is definitely the kind of fruit one can simply serve on a plate. Now, where to find someone serving Miyazaki mangoes…

Hence why the prosciutto and melon thing works so well! Actually I’m really into Culatello on melon - with age, the culatello has a distinct melon flavor and of course salty edges.

I quite like pepper on fruit - pink peppercorn on grapefruit works very well. Or, not quite pepper, but cardamom with orange.

2 Likes

Where do you get your culatello?

Culatello is available at Eataly.
It’s also sold at Guidi Marcello, but it’s been sliced and packaged already.

Also at Dopolavoro

That’s a new one for me. Looks very good. Thank you for sharing.

Because I’m located in San Francisco, I get culatello at Fatted Calf Charcuterie.

California’s produce is wonderful.

I think final menu price is going to play a big factor whether this is ridiculous or not. If the price ends up like what APL charged @PorkyBelly for Raw Onions ($10 for a plate of onions) that’ll just be sad. :frowning:

It’s true not everyone can get to a local farmers market that has Weiser Family Farms, but the cost of the Sugar Cube Melon (which is what is being served) is so affordable (usually about $7 for an entire melon), and that pic looks like they’re serving 1/4 of the melon.

1 Like

I was fortunate enough to stay and eat at this place in Emilio Romagna a few years back. They have a cave of culotellos curing as well as some Parmesan wheels. Along with on site farm and Michelin Star resto. Cannot recommend highly enough for fellow food freaks.
http://www.anticacortepallavicinarelais.com/

2 Likes

Guido’s is disappointing compared to Eataly

I agree. It’s still great in its own right, but Eataly is far better, it’s true.

it’s 8 dollars

2 Likes