Majordomo - Chinatown

Patio is just as nice as inside.

4 Likes

Is the Patio going to be freezing right now or is it a covered/heated patio? I realized they just opened up a bunch of patio reservations.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve got heat lamps and itā€™s covered, it actually got pretty warm and we were there mid January.

I prefer to chow em all down while theyā€™re fresh!

So many dishes are delicious. But oddly I havenā€™t stopped thinking about one simple item - Bing w/Honey, Cultured Butter & Bentonā€™s Reserve Ham (which I see is now Lady Edison Ham?) Also, youā€™re a wine lover so you should have double fun!

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

The heat lamps work very well and they are kind enough to offer blankets if you should need them.

That kakigori with the little bits of crunchy meringue and blood orange inside was amazing. :heart_eyes: Favorite dessert in town right now, and so light thereā€™s always room even when thereā€™s no room. :yum:

3 Likes

thatā€™s also my favorite bing combo, i call it le jambon-beurre-bing or jambing-beurre.

2 Likes

Cleverā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

The making of Bentonā€™s ham.

2 Likes

Bacon, actually, but I believe the ham is made using pretty much the same process. Thereā€™s a segment with Allan Benton in Mind of a Chef S1E15.

Iā€™m going to have to order some of that stuff.

1 Like

Yup. Youā€™re right Robert.

I thought about it but shipping alone is at least $20 for a pack of 4.

Looks like maybe they have a $25 minimum. Shipping for eight pounds is only $3 more than fourā€¦

Iā€™ve been eyeballing Bentonā€™s bacon for a long while, but I prefer getting slab bacon. Iā€™m reluctant to order pre-sliced bacon, despite the pedigree.

Would would be your ideal wine pairing for the APL short rib?

There are a lot of ways to go in that regard (and pairings are personal), but I think Syrah goes quite well. I donā€™t like thick and jammy versions, but rather something with high acidity, freshness, and some savory flavors.

3 Likes

Anything Richard, Tyler, Nate or Ken (or new server, Ryan, who is a former Floor Somm at Alinea) recommends. One of the best, if not THE best wine teams in L.A.

Majordomo is doing a fun voting exercise, where the head somm, posts two wines on his Instagram and lets everyone choose the by the glass option for Sunday night.

It was Dauvissat for $30/glass. It would have probably been $300+ on the list. A delicious pairing with the Stuffed Peppers and Fried Pickled Onion Rings. Wish we would have had the chicken that night. One of the Somms came in on his night off just to have a glass.

The SmockShop Band was a great bottle and would be terrific with the APL, but the team will recommend lots of great bottles for any pocketbook.

Have fun!

6 Likes

Thank you, I am likely to bring my own. Sounds like for APL something with good acidity such as Pinot from Burgundy or Nebbiolo from Piedmont should be a good match.

Those sound pretty dubious to me to pair with spicy and sour barbecue. The rib is marinated like galbi jjim and served with daikon and jalapeƱo pickles, kimchi, and ssamjang. Trust the staff to recommend something. Personally Iā€™d lean toward the Litrozzo or the Jauma Syrah, but would easily be talked out of it. My focus is always on the Something Different section of the list.

https://www.majordomo.la/drink#wine

1 Like