Majordomo - Saturday 1/12 at 7pm for 4 people

Honestly, I rarely think spending a lot of money on food is worth it in this city. I’ve been disappointed by Bestia, Animal, Republique and others. Not that my meal was bad, but it never felt it was worth the price I paid. I didn’t have any of those feelings about majordomo. I was completely floored by the flavors and the quality of the cooking. With the exception of the duck rice (and the cocktails which were just ok) everything was unbelievably good. Even the duck rice was expertly cooked, it just didn’t wow. I walked out of majordomo completely floored and says later was still fantasizing about some of the dishes. I’m already ready to go back

3 Likes

Try the Paloma next time. Probably the best I’ve had.

Best thing at Majordomo is the lamb bing.

Everything else is pretty much stupid.

1 Like

Funny, because I had the exact opposite feeling.

the only thing i had last time that I thought was excellent is the lamb bing as well…

Still not sure what I should even get tonight, kinda over the high price meat items TBH

Had a much better meal here tonight, thanks for suggestions.

pork pineapple bing, lamb bing, oxtail, stuffed peppers, cabbage, skirt steak duck rice, banana pudding + carafe of Dewazakura sake… was $265 between four people not bad and real tasty. I’m back on board.

8 Likes

Got a last minute resy there last night inspired by this post (and probably overlapped with @skramzlife :slight_smile: ).

Bing (with spicy lamb and Benton ham). Our favorite is the shaved foie gras, but thanks to that CA law, that ain’t happenin’ any time soon. The spicy lamb was great as always. I really liked the Benton ham itself, but I prefer the combination at Ssam Bar, where they serve it with bread and butter. Personally, I feel like the bing needs something saucy / creamy to go with it.

Stuffed peppers with sausage - ordered per the recs on this post :slight_smile: I think the execution was great (sausages were seasoned well) and the batter was well balanced - not too heavy nor light, but the dish didn’t blow me away. Probably should have gone for something non fried here.

BS fries - was wondering why everybody recommended this. I mean, they’re just fries right? Wow, best fries I’ve had in a while. The outside skin is perfectly crispy, but the inside is moist and soft. And the beef tallow adds so much decadent flavor. I liked it with the cheese sauce, but almost preferred eating them straight.

This was great, and surprisingly light. Their gojuchang sauce[?] is always really bright, spicy, and complex. The pork belly skin was extra crispy (maybe just a touch too crispy), and the meat was moist and well prepared. I’ve had three entrees here (chicken, duck rice, and pork belly) and enjoyed all three. I think the duck rice was the best personally. I still need to try the kal bi jjim…erm, “boneless chuck short rib”. Is that as good as it looks?

FWLIW, I’m in the camp that Majordomo is a great restaurant and a great addition to LA. I think David Chang has learned from his previous efforts and brought his greatest hits. My meals at Majordomo surpass the meals I remember from Ssam Bar and for sure Noodle Bar, but maybe not Ko (when Peter Serpico was the chef - though Ko is at a different price point and ambition level).

6 Likes

I don’t think the Boneless chuck short rib is worth it. Just eat it at Sun Nong Dan which is what he was inspired by.

1 Like