Make some ricotta, it's rewarding

Any chance I could get your recipe? Looks fantastic!!

i dont think iā€™ll be much help but will ask the baker of the houseā€¦ i just made the ricotta which is above but with more cream. she mixes it with egg and a bit of cream cheese i thinkā€¦

crust is some sort of combination of flour, butter, sugarā€¦

blueberry compote is simple sugar, blueberries, zest, lemon juiceā€¦ can kick up with a bit of baking spices. (she over simmered this time).

1 Like

I am worried that there is a difference between homemade ricotta and store bought ricotta in terms of consistency. My husband doesnā€™t think so, but I bake often and I know that using a little extra lemon juice in my lemon squares prevents them from setting.

But Iā€™m going to leap in and make one and post it!

Homemade ricotta is basically the same as additive-free, naturally made commercial ricotta, though fat content might vary. Both are quite different from Polly-O and other commercial brands with gums and stabilizers.

curd is always much finer in commercial one so it retains moisture differentlyā€¦ i prefer the homemade one i thinkā€¦ except for things like ravioliā€¦ the smoother texture seems better

Kenji has some tips on making more consistent ricotta:

Atypically, he didnā€™t try what home cheesemaking nerds recommend, butter muslin:

https://www.amazon.com/Butter-Muslin-2-sq-yards/dp/B004QISGIA

i stopped using msulins and cheese clothesā€¦ my fine mesh sieve drains it perfectlyā€¦ i dont really want it too dryā€¦ thanks, reading. in kenji we trust

One thing about naturally made ricotta, the fat and moisture content can vary wildly between brands or between homemade batches. So commercial ricotta has the advantage that if you stick with the same brand, the results of a recipe will probably be consistent.

I like this one:

http://www.bellwetherfarms.com/product/sheep-ricotta/

oh yea thatā€™s a great oneā€¦ shit you just reminded me about the sheepā€™s milk ice cream Iribar made in Getariaā€¦ insanity

wow thanksā€¦ we go up there a lot