March 2018 Weekend Rundown

I think the Northern Cafe in Westwood is a totally respectable option. I imagine the South Bay location is comparable in quality.

Your spicy chicken loks better than the somewhat anemic version at Westwood. I also don’t recall a lamb noodle option. Will have to check for that next time I’m there… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to los originales tacos arabes de puebla last night. First, the downside–at midnight it was a 35 minute wait. It moves slowly. Yet the upside: it was fucking delicious. And very spicy once you add on appropriately. I’d go back, but the wait is a bit of an issue.

This the same one on Ugly Delicious?

Yes. Very much worth going in my opinion, but the wait was a bit much. Maybe best to go at a less packed time.

Otafuku

Eggs

Kakiage

Inside :eyes:

Udon

Eel and veggie tempra

Go here now. Broth is excellent, food is delicious, noodles perfect bite. Only complaint was the kakiage was a tad greasy. The oroshi with the egg is fantastic.

9 Likes

It’s definitely better than any other Chinese spots we have here!

The chicken was pretty good, but a little too oily.

I have always hated that space since watching my poor father freeze one night at bucato. It gets too cold here - most nights - to comfortably eat outside unless the heaters are really well placed and don’t run out of fuel. As much as I want pasta sisters to do well (and it certainly sounds like they are doing very well - I have not been yet except a quick walk through) managing the environment will be on par with managing their noodles and sauce.

1 Like

They have curtains on all sides of the patio. I wonder if lowering those might help a little bit w/ the cold?

The patio adjacent to Helms Ave has the curtains. The other patio - the one where we were at - had no curtains. The Westside - even that far east - has a rough time a lot of the year justifying al fresco dining.

Oh, yes, I imagine that one would be freezing.

It’s supposed to be in the high 70s by this weekend. :slight_smile: Wouldn’t have known it by how much I’m freezing my a$$ off today…

2 Likes

Al pastor tacos from Leo’s new truck in Wilmington (Lomita & Avalon).

As good as the original, in my opinion.

8 Likes

I tried the ginger ramen at Ramen Bangaichi recently and it was very good, lots of fresh ginger in a light shio broth, and the chashu was tender and fatty. I really liked it and am adding it to my playlist.

Triple Beam Pizza in Highland Park.

Sausage (sausage, mozzarella, mustard greens, onion, panna, fennel pollen):

Margherita (mozzarella, tomato, basil, evoo):

Patate (Yukon Gold potatoes, fontina, black truffle cheese, rosemary):

Salame (sopressata, tomato, mozzarella, oregano, evoo):

:heart: :heart: :heart: is all I have to say about it.

11 Likes

Went to Sapp and had Jade Noodles and Sen Pad Pu. The latter was outstanding–kind of my ideal pad thai, with nice spicy, sweet noodles and lots of egg and crab.

On the other hand, the jade noodles were a bit of a letdown. As between Luv2eat and Sapp on this front, it’s not a fair fight. The noodles at Luv2eat have much better chew; the meat is better; the veggies are higher quality; the flavor profile is more balanced.

3 Likes

Were you there late last night? (And by late I mean around closing time?)

Nope–breakfast!

Pork Belly Bowl at Sari Sari at GCM. Wonderful!

4 Likes

Ahh was hoping for an FTC encounter in the wild!

Pitfire Pizza in Pasadena (apologies for the alliteration), Farmer’s Plate:
ROASTED FINGERLINGS & ROMESCO 6
GRILLED ASPARAGUS, EVOO, MALDON SALT 7
BURRATA TOAST WITH SPRING PEAS 7.5
FARMER’S PLATE - ALL THREE 13

I think it’s @westsidegal who first mentioned the Farmer’s Plate - thank you for that!

7 Likes

Glad to see the Sen Chan Pad Pu get some love!!!