May 2016 Weekend Rundown

Finally made it to Charcoal in Venice. The two of us had the lamb ribs, lamb tartare, grilled short rib, duck, pave beef and ribeye, finished with the banana smores.

Really liked everything here. Although the lamb tartare didn’t blow me away. It was a little bland to me and I didn’t care for the ratio of the other ingredients such as the pine nuts. Loved the texture of the meat prep though. Will have to try the beef and bison on next visits…

The rest of the meats were so good with the standout being the aged duck. Loved the intensity of the duck flavor, the nice crispness of the skin and fat.

$214 before tip. That’s with no alcohol or any other dishes, just the ones listed above. We thought it was fair pricing for the quality and portion sizes.

A couple of pics but it was dark and I don’t like using a flash in a dark restaurant, most of my pics didn’t come out that well.

lamb tartare

lamb ribs

Ribeye

Pave of beef

8 Likes

HI @Jase,

Nice! Thanks for the report. :slight_smile:

After I read your comment on the crispy Duck, I wanted to see the pic, only to find out you didn’t have one. :frowning: LOL. I can’t wait to go. Thanks.

The last 2 pics look so mouthwatering… ::sigh::

1 Like

Mexican BBQ in Chapel Hill, NC

Mexican seasoning marinated for 24 hours. Smoked over hickory and some cedar.

This is 1 hour line at GCM kind of thing.

6 Likes

Sounds and looks great - how was it?

Sorry, write up here:

2 Likes

##Mori
OOE omakase #oneofeverything
The giant clam was so raw it jumped off the shari and tried to eat my gari

##Tsujita
Dessert

7 Likes

That would be a killer slideshow as your desktop background. Just a suggestion. :wink:

3 Likes

Those pictures look amazing. What phone/camera? @PorkyBelly

1 Like

Thanks, galaxy s6 with good lighting

Stopped by Dune for an organic green herb falafel this morning. It was as wonderful as ever, especially with the outstanding Bub & Grandma’s flatbread, but the wrap seemed slightly smaller overall. Perhaps it was for the best because I didn’t feel uncomfortably full afterwards like I normally do. The greens were particularly vibrant as were the pickles. The shoestring potatoes added a decadent contrast of textures.

Feeling particularly naughty, I also picked up a slice of pistachio gluten-free cake from Proof, one of my favorite bakeries in LA. The cake was very moist and crumbly with a marzipan undertone. And although the pistachio flavor was hardly noticeable, the thin, tart slices of roasted strawberries contributed a welcome bit of zing.

8 Likes

WOW that all looks so delicious! Just looked up Dune on yelp and the photos of their food looks wonderful.

2 Likes

Was over at the Platform today to try out the new expo line to Santa Monica. Stopped by Loqui. The mushroom bowl is a bit of a hack, as you get a lot of food and two tortillas for $10. Food was good but still has the same overall problem–it is underseasoned.

On the Gjusta front, you can now order pick up in advance on chownow. I ordered the smoked fish plate and it gave me the various options to choose from on the website. A couple minutes later I got a call from Gjusta letting me know they were out of salmon belly but could do a nice salmon collar instead. I drove over, and got one of the great take out meals I’ve had. One bag of delicious, crusty bread. And then a full size pizza box full of various smoked fish, pickles, yogurt, and more. I never think of Gjusta as a bargain, but at $15, that meal was a bargain.

As for the fish itself:

Pastrami gravlax: Their best fish IMO. Luscious and perfectly seasoned.

Hot smoked yellowtail: Mixed bag here. First piece wonderfully moist and just right. Last 2 pieces a bit dry, but still good.

Salmon Collar: Unmemorable–just fine.

The real treat with this is just the combination of the great bread, yogurt, salads, and the fish.

6 Likes

When it comes to Gjusta’s fish selection, I find it best to be there. At times, even their salmon belly can be on the dry side. Eyeball the case, see what appeals to you and choose away. Still -as you’ve stated - the whole package is pretty glorious.

1 Like

Thanks for the report back @Haeldaur. Good to know about the Bowls (I’ve avoided them every time I went to Loqui).

For Gjusta, I love their Pastrami Gravlax as well. Bummer they were sold out of the Salmon Belly, and as @bulavinaka said, if you can dine in there, you can choose which pieces you want (normally no issue with larger fish like Gravlax / Lox, etc.

Dune is really wonderful! My husband is a fan of their lamb sandwich. The only miss I’ve encountered is the cardamom iced coffee.

Forgot to mention that the amba (mango pickle) is a nice, tangy foil to the falafel.

1 Like

Lamb sandwich and amba? Making me drool…

1 Like

Thank you! Nothing close to your great reports. The duck pictures didn’t come out well. But here they are

Up close of a breast piece

2 Likes

yeah, those were the last two dishes and a good way to end the meal. You live on this side of town, they take walk ins and can always eat at the bar.

I thought the pricing wasn’t bad for those two items. $38 for 18 oz of the rib eye and $25 for 10 oz of the pave beef.

For a luxurious after work treat, I can see myself popping in for a drink and one of those dishes.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to get any work done, I’d just be thinking about sushi all day. oh wait… i already do.

1 Like