May 2017 Weekend Rundown

Holy Smokes!
I was hitherto completely unaware that the planet we inhabit has a creation as quite as lovely as a Pastelaso.
It looks like a beautiful Napoleon of Seafood.

Is this a regional Mexican specialty? Donde?
Can’t be very common. Absolutely enchanting. Must know more.

4 Likes

@CiaoBob alas I can’t take credit for it. Read about it in an eater article from Esparza a couple months ago. Go hungry, its HUGE!

https://www.google.com/amp/la.eater.com/platform/amp/2017/3/27/14930126/sinaloa-seafood-towers-mexican-los-angeles

6 Likes

Wow.
Thanks for 411.
Getting that soon.
I think I need to bathe in that salsa negra.

That salsa negra is delicious! Umami’fied salsa…

Wow that thing looks great. A tower of seafood beauty and a spork!

3 Likes

I’m in love with the papas rellenas/potato balls at Cafe Cuba in Hawthorne. So much better than Porto’s.

8 Likes

Is this the place ON Hawthorne?

On and in.

12215 Hawthorne Blvd, Hawthorne, CA 90250

Got it. Been there a while back and true to my timing, they were out of these potato balls.

1 Like

In a city full of the newest/sexiest/hippest/coolest, there is another option… The Apple Pan.

Steakburger (same recipe since 1945), fries, and a cream soda… Pretty darn satisfying at 11PM. No ketchup police here.

Housemade banana cream pie a la mode, and a coffee… That crust takes the pie to the next level.

13 Likes

I’d love it if Dinah’s has gotten better. When we first moved into the area over a decade ago, we tried Pann’s and Dinah’s a lot since we love diners. (RIP Pepy’s galley) But we stopped going to Dinah’s several years ago. The fried chicken was not fried well. The crispness wasn’t there, bland seasoning and the side dishes were closer to something out of a can.

If the @TheCookie didn’t like Gus’s fried chicken and likes Dinah’s, that would mean Dinah’s has seriously upped their game in the last several years. Which is always possible and I’d love to have a nearby diner that has longer hours than Pann’s

I’ve been to Pann’s a few times since they’ve changed to daytime only hours and a shorter menu. The patty melt is still very good. I thought the rye bread wasn’t quite as crisp as it used to be but it was a minor quibble.

The fried chicken on the other hand, I was bummed out. So far, everytime I’ve had it, the fry job wasn’t quite up to previous standards. Slightly overcooked and the white meat dry. I’ll probably give it a shot a couple more times just in case. But I’ve noticed a lot of the older wait staff is no longer there and it makes me wonder if there’s been turnover with the cooks too.

1 Like

They have definitely gotten better. I’ve been through the ups and downs, and they seem to be in an upward curve at the moment.

I miss Pepe’s Galley so much! People went mostly for breakfast, but they served nice dinner items too. The salmon was always well-cooked, and they made soups from scratch, which is becoming more and more rare in coffee shops and diners.

Oh definitely give Serving Spoon a try. I love their homemade sausage patties. Their chicken wings have gone a bit downhill IMO. Size has shrunk some and the batter isn’t as crisp. But overall, I still like them a lot and bounce between Pann’s and Serving Spoon depending on what we feel like and hours. I was really bummed out when they stopped having late night hours. It was a nice option on this side of town to go there after midnight and have a good soul food breakfast. Although I will say I got some puzzled looks walking in. I guess it was unusual enough to see a few asian american guys dressed in shorts and t shirts strolling in at 1 a.m. :grin:

1 Like

Oh I love a good sausage patty. Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to give it a try soon.

1 Like

This!

Hi @Jase -

Yah, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. The place is always packed. The 2 times I’ve had Gus’s it was overcooked, and I like skin that adheres to the meat but peels off easily (when that naughty urge overtakes you :flushed:.) But even a positive review on Eater (I think) mentioned the skin is so seared to the meat it is almost non-existent. That might actually be what some like about it… not me. Plus I like to vary my heat and they have one level. But as @Luluthemagnificent said about not liking Howlin’ Ray’s, that leaves more for everyone else.

Now as far as Pann’s and other country-style fried chickens go, that is apples and oranges and can’t accurately be compared to hot chicken.

Okay, I’ll flip my switch off now.

Hope all had a great weekend. We’re thinking about hitting up Mariscos El Bigotón.

:kissing_heart: to all.

Hi @Sgee -
Do you know what times the trucks close-up shop for the day?

Thanks!

Hi @TheCookie,

Nothing wrong with you! I don’t like Gus’s either. :wink: After 3 visits (and trying a bunch of other places), it just doesn’t stand out or do it for me (or my friends).

1 Like

I’ve only been to Gus’s in Tennessee, but I like making a sandwich out of their white bread, orange coleslaw, and fried pickles.

It’s like a faux “Impossible Chicken Sandwich”

3 Likes