May 2017 Weekend Rundown

Was in East LA on Sunday and saw Meme’s Texas BBQ Smokehouse on Whitter Blvd so decided to stop in.

Got the Pit Master Combo which comes with a pork rib, quarter chicken, two slices of brisket, a pulled pork slider, bbq beans, and a side (I got macaroni salad) for $13.50.

No smoke ring visible on the pork rib but it had good flavor and decent chew (not fall off the bone tender). The other items had a nice smoke flavor. I shared the combo with my wife, and the kids got pulled pork sandwiches which came with a side. Afterwards, we were treated to complimentary brownies. The combo, two pulled pork sandwiches, two pieces of cornbread, and 4 sodas came to about $40 which is a pretty good QPR!

2 Likes

Hoping so. Thought maybe someone dropped one of his bottles of Margaux. On one of his Bugattis. In his white-carpeted garage. By the river Elbe. Or was it Seine? What ever.

1 Like

Near his resort pied-a-terre on (ironically) Neptune.

What happened to his Batcave?

How is pann’s fried chicken?

I wrote about it here, comparing it to other places around town:

1 Like

Maccheroni Republic

Right across GCM. Came for an early dinner and got to try 2 of the more popular pasta dishes.

Black and White. This was rec’ed by the waiter but I thought it was okay. A little too saucy for me.

Tripe. This was pretty tasty very soft and tender tripe that a Mexican Grandma would be proud of.

Would definitely return. Service was great, and seems like a good place for groups if you come early.

1 Like

I love the Jade and Boat like everyone else. And they make one of the best Thai Teas around. But I seen this dish that another FTC’er got

Sen Chan Pad Pu.
A little on the sweet side, I wish there was more egg and crab.

Gotta stop by when in the hood. For coconut cakes though I prefer Mae Tings at LAX-C on the weekends. (I need to go back btw)

Got the

Pandan Custard and Taro Cakes. So good, but I am #coconuteverything.

7 Likes

Pandan is a gift from the gods.

2 Likes

Liquidated it. Bullish market for those things these days, you know old chap…

2 Likes

Checked out Two Birds in Irvine over the weekend. Tried the Bird In The Hand sandwich (cornmeal bun, salt & vinegar slaw, tiger sauce). It was quite disappointing as the chicken was kind of burnt making it somewhat bitter and the meat was dry. I did like the slaw and the sauce, though. I think this would be a pretty good sandwich if the chicken was fried to a nice golden brown and the meat was actually juicy.

http://www.twobirdsrestaurant.com/menu/

4 Likes

Interesting. I may try it but I am in no rush now. :grin:

1 Like

Al pastor tacos from Tacos La Guera.

Chicken & fries from Dino’s.

5 Likes

Marlin tacos from Chente on Centinela.

Quite good but perhaps a victim of over hype. A nice combination of flavors, but the accompanying salsa didn’t have the zing I was looking for, and the tortillas themselves were not at the level we’ve become accustomed to at Loqui/Sonora Town etc. I think the go-to here is still the ceviche and zarandeado.

3 Likes

We went early Friday night - had the same plus the ceviche Coster/Costero and the PZ.

I can live the the tortilla - the Marlin is so dominant in flavor and the taco is griddled, so it seems to take a back seat to the filling.

2 Likes

Went again to holbox (3rd) time never ceases to impress. Quickly becoming one of my favorite restaurants grab a quick but delicious lunch.

Fresh seafood galore, no pics ate it all too fast. We got the ceviche, octopus taco, and scallop taco. Octopus taco in squid ink was awesome. Maybe the best seafood taco I’ve had, supremely tender octopus accompanied with a squid ink sauce that was tempered down with onions and other unknown ingredients. Sometimes I find ink to be too seafoody tasting drowning out other more subtle flavors but this had the right balance. Accompanied by finely diced pico de gallo and I added their salsa morita for a smoky spicy punch. Scallop taco was also delicious each taco had 2 whole diver scallops cut in half, seared outside and inside was still soft and rare. Plainly dressed cabbage and some chipotle crema. Delicious and simple strong clean scallop taste.
the Ono ceviche that is cut and cured and mixed right in front of you with their homemade tostadas. Super fresh great for a hot summer day and always fun to add a small sprinkling of the their five homemade salsas to get a different mix of flavors.

If you haven’t gone, go now before this place blows up and gets super busy.

5 Likes

#33 Turkey, Ham, Bacon and Cheese…Nice!

1 Like

Morinoya - As great as ever.

As strong an izakaya as you’ll find in L.A.

Tako mizuna salad…

Hotaru ika…

Tofu salad…

Shishito katsubushi…

Aji sashimi…

Aji (fried bones)…

Sazae…

Buta arani…

Shira-uo (Icefish) sashimi…

Buri daikon…

Ama ebi nigiri…

Aburi saba…

Battera (round 1)…

Batter (round 2)

Unagi hitsumabushi…

Shiratama cream anmitsu…

Rumor has it Chef Mori-san is retiring later this year. Eat here while you still can.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Morinoya
11301 W. Olympic Bl., Suite 210
Los Angeles, CA 90064
www.restaurant-morinoya.com

10 Likes

Great line up ( I guess you weren’t too hungry​:wink:). Mori-san’s impending retirement is going to leave a huge hole for this quality of food in the general area. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Hi @J_L,

That battera looks so good. :slight_smile: And very sad if Mori-san is retiring this year. :frowning: