May 2018 Weekend Rundown

Leek pie, fried rice with dried fish, mapo tofu, braised cod in seasonal vegetables, XO rice noodles, Sichuan eggplant with garlic, and spicy lamb noodles, accompanied by Taiwanese sarsaparilla soda… This was a superbly executed feast by Chefs David Kuo and Nathan Thai at Little Fatty (Mar Vista). Every, and I mean EVERY dish tasted wonderfully. Even the leftovers from this are still delicious. The cooking at this place is rockin’ right now.

8 Likes

Great report.
I had those terrific spicy lamb noodles last week.

Is this one the XO Rice noodles? Something (the thick “structures,” that look a bit like clock hands pointing to 3:25) looks deep fried - what is it?

So true! I’v been very happy with the food there lately.

1 Like

Yes XO rice noodles. WRG to the noodles, it’s rice-based pasta from the dim sum dish tsang fen. Kinda mochi-like in consistency. Ultimate carbalicious factor.

I crave it at least twice a year

The beautiful Panda Express Orange Chicken!!!

8 Likes

You keep it real, brother. Respect.

2 Likes

In Monterey this weekend for my son’s graduation and had suprisingly good deep dish pizza at Heirloom Pizza !![(upload://1nzO6moLO41IIOaXvc6zVqeXgbB.jpg)IMG_0616(upload://1nzO6moLO41IIOaXvc6zVqeXgbB.jpg)

12 Likes

Congratulations to the boy and to you!

4 Likes

$12 bulgogi lunch set special at Parks BBQ… one of the best QPR meals in LA

15 Likes

jesus christ, I go to food trucks sometimes and drop $15 for a brown bagged sandwich.

1 Like

I keep forgetting about Parks lunch specials. Koreatown is hands down the best neighborhood for QPR, f it Koreatown is my fav neighborhood to eat in LA proper.

5 Likes

I had no idea Parks had lunch specials. Is there just one special (granted, bulgogi is fine w/ banchan)? Only M-F?

they have a different meat everyday, sometimes is galbi sometimes bulgogi , its good no matter what…and yes Monday -Friday and they stop at 3pm.

3 Likes

@skramzlife I tried the bulgogi lunch a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Was wondering how they prepare the galbi lunch? Is it stewed like the bulgogi in your pic or do they grill it?

Hehehe pretty much every one of his customers says that when dining with Chef Laurent.

2 Likes

the galbi is grilled! I think i prefer it over the bulgogi stewed.

1 Like

@skramzlife Thanks for the 411! Gonna have to try that at Parks for lunch and then compare it to the galbi/namyeong combo at YuChun next month.

1 Like

Chef Laurent puts so much heart and soul into his dinners — he’s such a treasure!

1 Like

Agree. Chef Laurent Quenioux, Chef Christophe Eme and Chef Ludo Lefebvre (Bastide & L’Orangerie days, and hopefully Petit Trois Valley soon) are the haute French gastronomic masters of L.A.

2 Likes

Pastrami Reuben from canters and a Mac 12 dram nightcap

2 Likes