Mediocre Day at Grand Central Market - Belcampo, Wexler's, Madcapra, Olio's, etc

With the fucking macadmia milk ???

I like those.

Yup, the macadamia milk was lush!!

I really like that fucking GCB burger. But it is inconsistent.

1 Like

thanks for the report. Yah I hit up those places and had salt overload as well. So your lox at Wexler’s also was overloaded with salt? I’ve had it twice that way.

@Chowseeker1999 Yup, the lox were too salty, but the capers made matters worse. I appreciate the quality of the lox though. My dog and cat were quite fond of the lox offcuts from my bagel!

@kevin I’m not eating red meat or poultry anymore, but I do wanna try the Veggie Style burger. I’m a mushroom-lovin’ gal, so that sounds pretty great to me.

I’ve only had Weller’s fish platter once - but it was perfection. And I’m picky about salt! Sadly, I think you hit a really awful day. Did you tell them?

For better or worse, I was there today (ciclavia made it extra crowded) and while my husband does not like the chaos and search for chairs, we had a great food day. We split an order of fish and chips at Bombo and it was more than enough for the both of us and, tasty. (I also enjoyed seeing families and couples getting a few dishes at Bombo and sharing tastes. More fun that way!)

We were so full we didn’t even hit McConnell’s, which we usually do.

Then we went and got an Olio $5 pizza each for us to take home and have tomorrow.

Is GCM perfect? No way. But it’s a fun wander, with really great options at all levels of pricing. I hope you go back and have a better day. Happy eating to you!

Hmm. I confess, my cousin ate most of the lox, I focused on the sable, the smoked salmon collar/wings and the whitefish salad. Those were all great, not too salty.

Guess I won’t go and just get the lox!

My thoughts about GCM are:

Wexlers. Wonderful smoked fish and bagels. I’ve never found it too salty.
Madcapra. I love the salads. This is a healthy, unique take on Lebanese food. I eat here more than any of the other places because it has the best QHP (quality healthiness product).
Olio. Pretty good pizza. I could take it or leave it.
DTLA Cheese. Everything is yum. Underrated. The best of GCM.
G&B. Fabulous innovative espresso and tea drinks. Good pastries. Only weakness is no great pourover.
Sticky Rice. Both the Sticky Rice places are pretty good. They don’t wow me, but they are way better than Soi 7 for Thai in DTLA.
Valerie. Good baked stuff, Nothing has blown me away.
The raw seafood place. Boring, disappointing, Only went once.
Latin American places. I’m all in favor of gentrification. If ex chowhounds want to eat brain and tongue tacos they should venture out to east la or something.
Eggslut. Luckily I don’t like eggs so I don’t have to wait in that line.
Belcampo. Didn’t anyone read the WHO announcement?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried all of the “new” places @ GCM (so can’t comment on them), but when I had jury duty last spring I picked up a sandwich from DTLA cheese that was really good. It was quick, easy and tasty (with excellent quality ingredients). If I wasn’t doing jury duty, I would have picked up some cheese to go.

I so
Wish that they would so kind to make a fucking cheese plate. But then again I digress.

Mmmmm GCM burger. Sturgeon and cream cheese bagel. A couple of sluts. Iced lates. And the roll factory nearby. What a beyond fucking wonderful lunch.

Too
Bad that fried chicken and waffles joint ain’t in here.

1 Like

i was just there today and frankly, i was underwhelmed by what i saw but ended up being pretty pleased with my choice at the east end. no downtown/tourist types, just locals and construction workers getting tacos. homeless people were coming by for the occasional free sample.

tacos were $2.50, but each taco had as much meat as 3 tacos from any taco truck i’ve been to. with the extra tortillas they supplied my 3 tacos were more like 8 of them. and the meat is from anywhere on the hog you want it. i went with lengua, carnitas and buche. the carnitas included some of the pork skin and fat and made it really tasty, i scarfed the carnitas before i could regain control and take a pic.

it’s been almost 8 hours and i’m still gorged from the amount of meat that was in those 3 tacos. and i can normally put quite a bit of food away.

5 Likes

Powers of pig skin. :pig2:

an entirely pig skin taco option was available.

The cueritos may be my favorite taco there. But anymore than one and I start to feel like I over did it. I mean, one cueritos taco there is like eating 2-3 tacos somewhere else. The cueritos mixed with other meats is great too, provides a bit more textural and flavor contrasts.

3 Likes

they’d probably do half and half if you just asked. and next time, 2 tacos is enough. i should have paid attention to everyone else ordering just 2.

I love Moreliana. Frequently I’ll just grab one taco as a snack on my way to other things. I think Tacos y Tumbras isn’t nearly as good and I’m happy everyone lines up there instead of Mreliaana.

2 Likes

i’m not, especially when it comes to food. all it does is jack up the average price of food, and there’s a legit source of lower income workers/locals who don’t have the disposable income to waste on overpriced food.

a friend of mine who’s not a CH but i respect his palate, etc. has observed that GCM has changed a lot in the last two years. i’d liken it to how old town pasadena lost his charm when it became popular and landlords jacked up prices resulting in driving out the places that were the reason to go, and replacing them with newer pricier vendors. similarly, GCM is becoming a place for yelpers. true hounds don’t follow trends, we find them or start them.

1 Like

Sounds good in theory but I challenge you to find one place that hasn’t already been Yelp’ed.

1 Like

fair enough. can you name a place whose yelp reviews were the main reason that prompted you to try the place?

I don’t read the Yelp reviews but I do use the pictures to decide whether or not to try a place. I feel like I can usually get a pretty good assessment about the style and quality of the cuisine based on the photos and whether or not I would enjoy the place.

Kind of like using trip advisor photos to truly assess the room and amenities of a particular hotel when booking a hotel.

1 Like