Merry Christmas FTC

But the ‘tail’ part isn’t visible without blacklight ?

Most recipes are equal parts gin (40% or more alcohol), Campari (24%), and sweet vermouth (15%), so if you made one with two ounces of gin, it would contain at least 44 grams of alcohol, the equivalent of half a bottle of 12.5% wine.

Count Negroni’s original used Campari.

1 Like

You don’t make a Negroni with 2 oz. of gin. You make it with 1 oz. of gin. Which is why I said it’s the equivalent alcohol in 2.0 oz. of gin.

You are talking about a double negroni, which is not a good idea since by the end of the double you’ll be left a pretty watery drink.

I can see getting a little fucked up after two full
cocktails before dinner.

I plan on having plenty of Negronis on my trip to Rome next month. As far as volume, we will see. I’m a pretty big guy, and I love gin, but it seems to hit me faster than other alcohols, and I’m not in my 20s anymore. Probably my imagination, but it seems that three or four martinis hit me harder than splitting a few bottles of wine.

2 Likes

I think Negronis came to Rome by way of American tourists’ expectations of finding something that was a Florentine specialty. They were unheard of when I lived there in the 80s. Using Google Books I see that Negronis started appearing in guidebook entries for Florence in the mid-90s.

That’s fine. Imma drink 'em anyway.

2 Likes

Yeah. Campari isn’t like Chartreuse. Campari is more like Kleenex. It’s a particular brand of an Italian style of citrus-based bitter.
99.9% of negronis are made with Campari. The original called for it and Campari brand dominates the market.
But look around and you’ll find some very serious cocktail bars will use other boutique brands of Italian bitter.

As an aside, the Americano cocktail is the predecessor of the negroni. And it calls for club soda, not Prosecco. The, probably apocryphal, story of the Negroni is that the count wanted his favorite cocktail, but asked for something stronger. The bartender subbed out the club soda for gin and away we went.

That story might actually be true. Certainly Count Negroni was real.

1 Like

Good read. As always, I bow to Gaz Regan. If he says probably true then it probably is.

Congrats on being geekier than the bartender I had in Florence lol

Bruh, get tore up. Life is short.

At a boyle heights brewery currently

2 Likes

Meh. There are hack bartenders all over the world. I wouldn’t read too much into it if I were you.

I’m not… i said dude knows more than the bartender i had

I’m just fucking around . . .
Negroni or not, they are all delicious ways to feel a little less pain.
Cheers!

2 Likes

dark lol

The pie looks like thick, custard, deliciousness. What is it?

Hi TheCookie. That was an Amalfi Lemon Tart. At least that was the description listed on the check.

2 Likes

Original Tommy’s Hamburgers in Pico Riviera

We topped off the “over the river and through the woods” portion of Christmas Day with a little naughty, not nice.

Happy Holidays Los Angeles!

6 Likes

Christmas dinner at Hop Li with people (in-laws) completely oblivious to the concept of a Chinese holiday meal. It’s as though they’ve only ever had lunch specials or delivery. Example: “Hey, do you want to split an order of fried rice with me?” We have twelve people, for goodness sake.

My brother and I can only smile and nod and loudly announce once in a while, “We are ordering for the table, if we run out of something [spring rolls, walnut shrimp], we will order more.” It’s not like we’re splitting the check. :roll_eyes:

Okay, thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

I do want to say that Hop Li managed to serve some very good Chinese-American food, despite how incredibly busy both dining room and the take-out were at the time. Everything we ordered was fresh and well-executed. The fish with ginger was excellent, as were the sautéed green beans with water chestnuts, and the chicken in lettuce cups, amongst the many other things we ordered.

Merry Christmas!

5 Likes